Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A bit of a poll / open discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Eddie, I don't often often agree with you but you're bang on here. We don't have to agree with each other but let'shave proper threads with people having different opinions. And if you don't agree with an opinion. that's cool. But let people have their say.

And no, I am not a Nazi just because I happen not to be Jewish. Anymore than I blame Jewish people in the 21st century for what Joshua did to the Canaanites.
    100%

I've lost count of how many threads started of well intentioned then in the 6th or 7th post someone (always nearly the same people) go off topic in the most random manner. By then the thread is ruined and there's no point of even looking at it again. It isn't fair on the other users who want a fair debate and not hijackers hijacking with crap that is probably meant for PMs. Basically attention seeking.

Awimb does seem a 9-5pm, Mondays to Fridays only place these days. It never used to be like this. It had a thriving evening shift that would either pick up on the daily topics or bring new topics to the table. In turn this often gave posters material the next day to run with. Being mainly an office hours site these days naturally those who can post within these hours dominate and with falling numbers it can look conversations more suited to PM at times. Not the fault of those posters mind if others don't join in.

I would agree that Arsenal debate is limited now. People have pretty entrenched views and any criticism of Wenger or the club is usually jumped on and the debate ends. This applies both ways of course with anyone being too pro-Wenger. Worth saying that this is just the same on Twitter and other media. We are where we are I guess with Arsenal.

i don't know, maybe Bernie is right and the youth team is just not producing the next generation coming through anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Maybe the best thing would be if the likes of us ****ed off and allowed new voices to emerge?
    I'm happy to state that the reason I left the board was purely down to Berni/Burney. And judging by a thread I saw the other day, I am not the only one.

I agree completely with those making the point that taking threads off on a tangent and two people having a chat that is best suited to PM is not how a modern day forum successfully runs. It was fine back in the olden days when there were enough active posters to sustain that, but those days have gone now. New posters will only join and become active if threads are well maintained. Threads are not a conversation like in the real world, they are a discussion on a topic created by the OP. If you want to talk about something off topic, start a new thread.

I used to use Awimb back in the early days to hear news first (this was where I first heard TH had signed for Barcelona). Those days have gone due to social media, but that doesn't mean online forums don't still have a place, they just need to evolve. I just hope Awimb didn't spend too long on outdated technology, losing its way and is now beyond saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Maravilloso Marvo View Post
    I'm happy to state that the reason I left the board was purely down to Berni/Burney. And judging by a thread I saw the other day, I am not the only one.

I agree completely with those making the point that taking threads off on a tangent and two people having a chat that is best suited to PM is not how a modern day forum successfully runs. It was fine back in the olden days when there were enough active posters to sustain that, but those days have gone now. New posters will only join and become active if threads are well maintained. Threads are not a conversation like in the real world, they are a discussion on a topic created by the OP. If you want to talk about something off topic, start a new thread.

I used to use Awimb back in the early days to hear news first (this was where I first heard TH had signed for Barcelona). Those days have gone due to social media, but that doesn't mean online forums don't still have a place, they just need to evolve. I just hope Awimb didn't spend too long on outdated technology, losing its way and is now beyond saving.
    Was this the time I bullied you by making you obsessively accuse me of being modd and then you got embarrassed when you realised what a prick you'd made of yourself and ran away and hid like a precious little snowflake?

New posters will only join and become active if threads are well maintained. Threads are not a conversation like in the real world, they are a discussion on a topic created by the OP. If you want to talk about something off topic, start a new thread.
    Heavily modded (did you see what I did there?) forums where posts off topic to a thread are removed and culprits threatened with bans and so on are dull as **** though. Implementing such a regime would probably kill the place off completely, even if I would prefer not to have advanced foodcùntery threadjacks all over the place.

I do take the point about the old treeview making it easier to ignore the threadjacks though. I already miss ignoring BGM and LA's rugby threadjacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Heavily modded (did you see what I did there?) forums where posts off topic to a thread are removed and culprits threatened with bans and so on are dull as **** though. Implementing such a regime would probably kill the place off completely, even if I would prefer not to have advanced foodcùntery threadjacks all over the place.

I do take the point about the old treeview making it easier to ignore the threadjacks though. I already miss ignoring BGM and LA's rugby threadjacks.
    I know what you mean completely but AWIMB doesn't have the numbers (for one reason or another) to sustain threads going off on a tangent anymore and it is putting off new members joining. Take a look at any other forum on any topic on the internet and the successful ones are well modded. If Chris wants to increase numbers and make it self sustaining, that is the only way to go. If Berni and Sir C want to discuss what they had for dinner with a few others hanging on, set up a Whatsapp group.

And yes Treeview did mean you could ignore the hijacks unless they seemed interesting. But again, take a look out there, no forums use that style anymore.

I know what you mean completely but AWIMB doesn't have the numbers (for one reason or another) to sustain threads going off on a tangent anymore and it is putting off new members joining. Take a look at any other forum on any topic on the internet and the successful ones are well modded. If Chris wants to increase numbers and make it self sustaining, that is the only way to go. If Berni and Sir C want to discuss what they had for dinner with a few others hanging on, set up a Whatsapp group.

And yes Treeview did mean you could ignore the hijacks unless they seemed interesting. But again, take a look out there, no forums use that style anymore.
    I don't know how you can be so sure that threadjacking "is putting off new members joining". Is there any real evidence for this? (and please don't create a character to come on and pretend to be evidence).

Also, what's Whatsapp? I've heard of it - one of those ghastly gimmicks that the kids are using on their portable telephones, I gather. But how does it differ from the rest of the ocean of awful that is social media?

ChrisPlus
    OK - Any volunteers for moderating duties?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris+ View Post
    Will you be issuing guidelines to such mods, c?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris+ View Post
    I'd be happy to. However, since I seem to be Public Enemy No 1 among various parties, I'm not sure how well it would go down