Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone who isn't proud to be British after our performance in Rio

Anyone who isn't proud to be British after our performance in Rio

is either a foreigner or a c unt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Would you care to explain exactly what it is about people you don't know successfully playing obscure sports that people only watch every four years that makes you 'proud'? Do you not feel you might be devaluing the concept of national pride ever so slightly by attaching it to something so meaningless and frivolous?

It's jolly good fun, but I can't help being a little bit persuaded by the argument but we are, Olympicistically, like the Soviet Union used to be. Our atheletes are civil servants, paid by the state with money raised from taxing the poor, to compete and succeed to make us feel good to distract from our somewhat mediocre and rather backward economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It's jolly good fun, but I can't help being a little bit persuaded by the argument but we are, Olympicistically, like the Soviet Union used to be. Our atheletes are civil servants, paid by the state with money raised from taxing the poor, to compete and succeed to make us feel good to distract from our somewhat mediocre and rather backward economy.
    I am intrigued by this Olympic tax on the poor, a. Pray expand upon your theme.

Well our economy is neither mediocre nor backward and the lottery isn't a tax, but I do agree that the overt politicisation of sport is one of the more unfortunate results of allowing people to compete as part of national teams. And it's not even as if it's decent sports. We're spunking all this money on **** sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Would you care to explain exactly what it is about people you don't know successfully playing obscure sports that people only watch every four years that makes you 'proud'? Do you not feel you might be devaluing the concept of national pride ever so slightly by attaching it to something so meaningless and frivolous?
    Easy. It proves if we set our minds to it and invest time and money we can do things better than other countries even when they are doing the same or more. Ergo: one is right to feel proud.

Meaningless? Everything in life is meaningless apart from eating, drinking, ****tind and ****ing. And yet we soldier on every day and give meaning to all sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I am intrigued by this Olympic tax on the poor, a. Pray expand upon your theme.
    Lottery money. It is the poorer elements that mostly do the lottery, is it not? They with no other hope of getting a few bob together. It looks like it while I am queueing behind them in the local shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Well our economy is neither mediocre nor backward and the lottery isn't a tax, but I do agree that the overt politicisation of sport is one of the more unfortunate results of allowing people to compete as part of national teams. And it's not even as if it's decent sports. We're spunking all this money on **** sports.
    I thought it would all go away after the 2012 Olympics. Wanted to put on a good show for that imo.

Australia are no longer that great they used to be up there in the table. but now a few Olympics after Sydney well off the pace.

Things will return to normal in a couple more Olympics times

Lottery money. It is the poorer elements that mostly do the lottery, is it not? They with no other hope of getting a few bob together. It looks like it while I am queueing behind them in the local shop.
    Ah, I see. It's not actually a tax though, is it?

A pound for a dream, a. Cheap at half the price.

Easy. It proves if we set our minds to it and invest time and money we can do things better than other countries even when they are doing the same or more. Ergo: one is right to feel proud.

Meaningless? Everything in life is meaningless apart from eating, drinking, ****tind and ****ing. And yet we soldier on every day and give meaning to all sorts of things.
    Well so could anyone else if they bothered spending the same amounts of time and money on it. That's not a source for national pride, it's a question of priorities. Personally, I would question the logic of spending these quantities on what amounts to a national vanity project, but there you go.
    If you choose to invest this vanity project with some personal meaning that's up to you, but the fact that they mean fùck all to me doesn't make me a foreigner or a ****.