Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The first league game and it's already make-or-break time

It's about perceptions. When you buy someone like Ozil or Alexis or Lewandowski that makes you, in some people's eyes, contenders.

If you are right, and I think we've got a shout, then to lose three points at home in the first game in these circumstances would be particularly pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    It's about perceptions. When you buy someone like Ozil or Alexis or Lewandowski that makes you, in some people's eyes, contenders.

If you are right, and I think we've got a shout, then to lose three points at home in the first game in these circumstances would be particularly pathetic.
    I agree but let's see what happens. Unfortunately we've been in similar situations before. you'd think we might want to start the season ready but lets see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    If we do sign the likes of Lewandowski are we proper title contenders?
    I'd say we are as I already believe we have a better 'team' than City for example.
    That may change once Pep get's things going in his way.

I don't think United will be that great imo.
    I do sometimes wonder if we bought all these players the fans bay for and still didn't win the title, what would the story be? Blame the manager, I guess. Whatever happens, these people can never be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I do sometimes wonder if we bought all these players the fans bay for and still didn't win the title, what would the story be? Blame the manager, I guess. Whatever happens, these people can never be wrong.
    We've always had some annoying fans but I am almost embarrassed to say I support Arsenal these days. Not because of the team but because of all these twitter types, voting on polls, 'doing madness' Arsenal fan TV.

I'd say this has been happening since about 2011 and since then football has been complete ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Used to be. Not anymore. Used to go pretty regularly up until about five or six years ago. The last few times I went, however, I couldn't s listening to all the bedwetters constantly slagging off our team and manager. They rendered the atmosphere toxic and made the whole business rather less than fun, so I stopped going.
    The whingers have increased in numbers but they've always been there, even at Highbury when we were winning titles. If they're not moaning about the team as a whole then they will aim the criticism at a player (I remember the sh*t Parlour and Gilberto used to get). The only way to pipe them down is to win the league, or run someone very close.

People used to treat draws like loses during our Invincibles era.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    We've always had some annoying fans but I am almost embarrassed to say I support Arsenal these days. Not because of the team but because of all these twitter types, voting on polls, 'doing madness' Arsenal fan TV.

I'd say this has been happening since about 2011 and since then football has been complete ****.
    Yes. The fact that we have the most tech-savvy fanbase is a curse as it simply means all the ****s whose tedious, ill-informed utterances used just to be background noise now have a platform that makes them think what they say is in some way significant. This then encourages their fellow morons to be more vocal and before you know it, the whole place has turned septic. And that's before I even get started on pricks like Piers Morgan or Tim 'Tits' Payton.

In short: I blame the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post

It's borderline neglect at this point. For me, an attacker would be a bonus but not essential. A top quality CB is a total no brainer. Even if Per were fully fit, he showed enough times last season that he's a complete liability at times. Hardly surprising that the ball scratcher left him out in the summer.
    It's the same every season. The very best teams just walk through our ball watching defence.

I thought this would be Per's last year and even wondered he might not have left in the summer. So when people talk about a stop-gap till he comes back, I wonder.

Exactly.. The faux mourning over Gabriel I found confusing. I thought he was also deemed largely ****, despite a promising first few run outs.
    Now it seems our future is hanging in the balance because of him.. Most strange.