Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We're not a bad lot really, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexism - Atheoist View Post
    So B, as I'm trying to get a complete picture of this issue, could you elaborate a bit on the undemocratic aspects of the EU that drove you away?

And I've heard a couple of times that this referendum isn't binding? What's the story there?

The sole body within the EU that can propose legislation is the Commission, which is composed of unelected appointees and hordes of civil servants. They control the entire legislative direction of the institution and are completely unaccountable to Europe's people.
    When you vote in a state, congressional or presidential election, you vote for a set of legislative proposals, don't you? And, by doing so (if your side wins) you to some extent get to control the direction in which legislation goes over the next few years. And, if your representatives let you down, you can kick them out. No such opportunity exists within the EU.
    The nearest we have (had) are EU Parliamentary elections, where you vote for a party whose voice is then invariably drowned out in the Babel of a parliament that vaguely represents the disparate views of 27 member states of 500 million people with just 736 members (the maths will tell you just how inadequately represented the people therefore are), who are elected by tiny turnouts (around 35% on average, I believe) and who can do little to influence the direction in which the EU moves, since they are part of an entirely reactive body with absolutely no power to propose legislation, merely to amend or (in very rare cases) block it. Essentially, people in Europe barely vote for this parliament because they know it is pointless.
    The only other body worthy of note is the Council of Ministers, which is composed of the leading Ministers of member states. Again, this body can only react to the overall legislative direction of things and the voice of one country is usually drowned out.
    In addition to this, large sections of British Law have been superseded by EU law in recent years - these are laws that have not been approved by the electorate of this country and yet still govern us.
    There is a vast democratic deficit within the EU. Essentially, we are being governed from afar without adequate representation or redress - something to which I believe your countrymen objected some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Not actually expressive of doubt. Just that I was trying to get ten characters.

Sure. Sorry to hear about your funding, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Snin View Post
    The belgiums keep going with no government at all..the itlaians are pretty good at making do with no one in power and just welcoming whoever sweeps in ( a'la classic line in Catch 22 ..under facists we were the best fac etc ) ..i think its just really the french, germans and greeks who lose the plot..the ruskis just keep on keeping on too..think its human nature..weused to just live for our village at the end of day and our house is our castle
    I think that Sir Walter Raleigh would have taken exception to your views.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    See, it's not just about voting, is it. It's about having control over your own life and dealing with the consequences of your own decisions. They are simply not used to this and it terrifies them.
    This is the advantage of voting for the losing side in elections and things. You get to bitch and moan and blame other peope if anything goes wrong.

he can get on his bike imo .. his pretty average bike at that

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    This is the advantage of voting for the losing side in elections and things. You get to bitch and moan and blame other peope if anything goes wrong.
    No, you don't, A. Loyal opposition and a' that.

You shake hands, say Well Played and then invite the winner for a pint. There *is* no losing side; we're all on the *same* side.

Behaving like an abandoned wife does no good at all.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. I was musing yesterday that we may be moving into a post-democratic era where people view convenience, wealth and comfort as being vastly more important than something as abstract as democracy. During the referendum, I lost count of the number of people to whom I outlined my objections to the undemocratic nature of the EU only for them to largely agree, but say 'Yes, but it doesn't really matter, does it?' (or words to that effect). They care more about cheap flights and weekend city breaks than they do about fundamental principles of government and the EU it seems to me, is largely predicated on the idea that if you keep the middle classes happy, they'll stop caring about democracy*. They seem largely to be right.

*Until such time as something happens they don't like and they wake up to the fact that there's **** all they can do about it, of course.
    That time has already come, I'm afraid. People handed over sovereignty over their own lives to the companies that employ them to the point that beggared their future prospects, while their firms have made hay through globalisation.

Somehow people forgot the difference between work, or working, and actually, simply, just making money. And, for decades now, have voted and acted accordingly.

I suppose it's what Jorge was on about when he claimed the middle classes have been taking it in the arse for decades. Thing is though, they've actually done it to themselves
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Oh. Bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh. Bugger.
    Oh, it's actually true? I was just talking for the birds; thought I'd been watching too many heist movies ..