Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burney – do you not think the propensity for rudeness in society *can* be laid

Burney – do you not think the propensity for rudeness in society *can* be laid

at the door of political correctness in the sense that it is a rebellion against it?

This article discusses the same phenomenon in the context of white nationalism.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/23/...e-nationalism/

The Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    at the door of political correctness in the sense that it is a rebellion against it?

Should you not be an expert on this? Fair enough, you've mellowed but I think it's fair to say you have form in this department.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    Should you not be an expert on this? Fair enough, you've mellowed but I think it's fair to say you have form in this department.
    Well I confine the worst excesses of my rudeness to the online world and to areas of it unlikely to get me into too much trouble (give or take the odd 5-a-side match with morbidly obese, foul-breathed residents of Hendon). In this respect, Awimb is my safe space

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

I think there is an element of that, yes. Make something unsayable and you immediately give people a reason to say it. Equally, people don't like being told what to do or say.

However, it's really a question of what norm you're looking to kick against. Once, it was a more conservative society to whom the idea of miniskirts, long hair on men, making fun of the Prime Minister or the Queen were shocking. Now, the problem with destroying all theses sacred cows is that the only shocking things left to say are the PC orthodoxies on things like race, sexual orientation, gender and - it would appear - scousers. However, it didn't start with PC by a long chalk.

What a disgusting article.

A big part of the reason white Americans have been willing to go along with policies that are prejudicial on their face, such as affirmative action, is that they do not view themselves as a tribe
    So they shouldn't view themselves The Tribe.

Pure colonial and genocidal diatribe (maybe).

When privilege theory took root in the 1990s
    4 realz

marcus-150x150.jpg

I'm struggling to reconcile this all with the long history of satire in Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking View Post
    I'm struggling to reconcile this all with the long history of satire in Britain.
    Says AWIMB's very own, one man thought police Stalinist. You even get uncomfortable when I call Monty a big nosed ****.

3fc0eac1e393c240a5afcdfc3eebd3a0.jpg

"White/Zionist supremacy my ass" says my t-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Herbette Chapman - aged 15 View Post
    Says AWIMB's very own, one man thought police Stalinist. You even get uncomfortable when I call Monty a big nosed ****.
    Quote that you have it on a t-shirt and you're home free, Herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking View Post
    Having designated 'court jesters' who are permitted to be rude about those in power and to whom you have to go to get your dose of offence is a perfectly sensible release valve. The difference lies in the improved dissemination of such material and the interpretation of that dissemination as effective permission for all of society to be rude to all other parts of society.

Essentially, sensible and healthy scepticism and disrespect for power have devolved into a culture of selfishness, rudeness, unkindness and just plain nastiness.