Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So this moron has been arrested and charged for wearing an offensive t-shirt.

So this moron has been arrested and charged for wearing an offensive t-shirt.

Are we really at the point where poor manners are a matter for the judicial system? And who gets to decide what is, or isn't, offensive? Is it legal to wear a 'Jesus is a ****' t-shirt, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Are we really at the point where poor manners are a matter for the judicial system? And who gets to decide what is, or isn't, offensive? Is it legal to wear a 'Jesus is a ****' t-shirt, or not?
    Hmmm. I can see both sides on that one. You could say it's the old 'freedom of speech isn't the freedom to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre' thing, couldn't you? At what point does wearing a t-shirt designed to offend and incite anger constitute a breach of the peace? Although I agree that one saying that God/Muhammed is a **** would be just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Hmmm. I can see both sides on that one. You could say it's the old 'freedom of speech isn't the freedom to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre' thing, couldn't you? At what point does wearing a t-shirt designed to offend and incite anger constitute a breach of the peace? Although I agree that one saying that God/Muhammed is a **** would be just as bad.
    The possibility of arrest for expressing a point of view just makes me very, very nervous.

Perhaps the police should be given the power to say, '**** off home and change your shirt, you ridiculous child.'

The possibility of arrest for expressing a point of view just makes me very, very nervous.

Perhaps the police should be given the power to say, '**** off home and change your shirt, you ridiculous child.'
    Well in a better, simpler time, the police would never have needed to get involved, since society would have self-policed, the fellow would simply have been rendered a few teeth lighter and nobody would even have considered involving plod. Now, though, everyone wants to get offended or screech about their rights, but they all want some other **** to do the dirty work for them. We're all about rights without responsibilities these days.

The Jorge

The polis love a bit of Section 5 abuse though, it's their favouritest catch-all charge.

Obviously, I blame Thatcher, for it was her govt that brought it in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    The polis love a bit of Section 5 abuse though, it's their favouritest catch-all charge.

Obviously, I blame Thatcher, for it was her govt that brought it in.
    Phew! I thought you were going to get through a morning without blaming Thatcher for something there, j.

The Jorge
    Phew! I thought you were going to get through a morning without blaming Thatcher for something there, j.
    Well it's literally her and Douglas Hurd who are to blame

You could say it's the old 'freedom of speech isn't the freedom to shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre' thing, couldn't you?
    I always find that a bit of a straw man, tbh, for reasons that it shouldn't be necessary to spell out. Especially to a man who routinely offends Guardian readers with his comments.

At what point does wearing a t-shirt designed to offend and incite anger constitute a breach of the peace? Although I agree that one saying that God/Muhammed is a **** would be just as bad.
    At what point do we consider anything that offends anybody to be incitement to anger etc? Once the offensive is unnaceptable people start queing up to get things they don't like to hear branded as beyond the pale.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    Well it's literally her and Douglas Hurd who are to blame
    It's literally 26 years since she left office. Has there not been a single government in 26 years that could have undone some of these appalling things she did?

The Jorge
    It's literally 26 years since she left office. Has there not been a single government in 26 years that could have undone some of these appalling things she did?
    Not really, no. Though I do enjoy you and berni vociferously complaining about her laws.