Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So Theresa May wants us to stay in the EU, but pull out of the ECHR?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    Not massively, no, unless you call a thousand years of constitutional fudges a proper enshrinement of fundamental rights.

On Theresa May, I know what you mean. The other day in Parliament she basically had the baps out, well I say baps but they were more artisanal pittas. Maybe she feels pressure from sharing a name with the busty 80s page 3 toyota starlet.

Yes. 'Constitutional fudges' that the rest of the world has envied and emulated. Indeed, 'constitutional fudges' that have given us rights we've had for centuries that most of Europe has only just caught up with in historical terms.

Out is not going to solve that, is it? Look at the ****s that are leading the campaign ferchris'sake!
    ****s are somtimes in the eye of the beholder.

The Jorge
    Yes, they were all the rage in the 19th century

The Jorge
    Apart from you, of course.

Any 10 of TonyC's Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Britain less Europe View Post
    Our fudges of course are why we, unlike these freedom loving Europeans, have never managed to produce a Napoleon, a Hitler, a Mussolini, a Franco, a Stalin, a Salazar... shall I go on?
    You have to remember, mo, that j regards compromise not as an art to be practised to avoid violence and tyranny, but as a fundamental failure of will and imagination. He actually thinks revolutions are good things - despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Yes, they were all the rage in the 19th century
    What were? Honestly you really need to learn to use 'Reply With Quote'

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    What were? Honestly you really need to learn to use 'Reply With Quote'
    Needs to learn abour reality first imo. Not believe in a fairy-tale egalitarian paradise ran by and for a bunch of self-serving dictators.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    While we come at this from very different political angles, a, I must admit that I find the spectacle of those on 'the left' supporting membership of the EU deeply baffling. You mention TTIP and, in conjunction with free movement of labour driving down wages and the fact that the thing is avowedly a free-trade zone designed to aid big business, I see absolutely nothing for anyone of the left to find to support in the thing.

I mean the President of the United States just rocked up to tell us what a good idea it was for us to do what we're told because that's what they want and much of 'the left' appears to be lapping it up and saying we should be good boys and girls and do what that nice Mr President tells us, ffs! You couldn't make it up!
    The abandonment of the working class, and the failure to redefine it, in favour of aspiring to a benevolent paternalism, where things are bestowed from the elite rather than fought for by the masses.

The threats from Obama were pretty vile, I thought, and I was disturbed to see the glee with they were recieved in some quarters.

The Jorge
    Needs to learn abour reality first imo. Not believe in a fairy-tale egalitarian paradise ran by and for a bunch of self-serving dictators.
    Mo, please, havent you go to go and update your Ian-Duncan-Smith scrapbook?

Our fudges of course are why we, unlike these freedom loving Europeans, have never managed to produce a Napoleon, a Hitler, a Mussolini, a Franco, a Stalin, a Salazar... shall I go on?
    I don't think you're allowed to represent Stalin as something negative, Mo. You'll have a ****ing twitterstorm on your arse.

Lefty, see?