Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Theresa May wants us to stay in the EU, but pull out of the ECHR?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So Theresa May wants us to stay in the EU, but pull out of the ECHR?

I, for one, am confused. I'm aware that strictly speaking they're separate institutions, but they're not all that separate, since it seems questionable whether one can be a member of one without being signed up to the other.

Obviously, the idea is to fob off those who are thinking of voting Leave with the vague promise of getting out of the ECHR, but the message is pretty badly mixed. After all, one minute they're telling us the EU's brilliant and how grateful we ought to be and the next they're agreeing that one of its key underpinnings (a broad, Europe-wide agreement on rights and jurisprudence) is a load of old ****.

The Jorge
    In fairness, she's been on the fence so long she's got a flange like a CDT classroom's floor. But it's OK, we dont need human rights, workers rights or freedom of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    In fairness, she's been on the fence so long she's got a flange like a CDT classroom's floor. But it's OK, we dont need human rights, workers rights or freedom of movement.
    But we desperately need to give US companies the right to sue Yerpean governments for policies that they think damage their interests, and to privatise and take control of the NHS. #ttip

The Jorge
    Out is not going to solve that, is it? Look at the ****s that are leading the campaign ferchris'sake!

Out is not going to solve that, is it? Look at the ****s that are leading the campaign ferchris'sake!
    ****s are somtimes in the eye of the beholder.

The Jorge
    Apart from you, of course.

Any 10 of TonyC's Characters

We get a vote on our government every five years. We get a chance to leave this autocracy maybe once in a lifetime.

If a British government awards US companies the right to sue them they can be held properly accountable to an electorate. Corrupt politicians on the take from those companies and hiding behind the EU maybe aren't accountable to anyone.

The Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    We get a vote on our government every five years. We get a chance to leave this autocracy maybe once in a lifetime.

If a British government awards US companies the right to sue them they can be held properly accountable to an electorate. Corrupt politicians on the take from those companies and hiding behind the EU maybe aren't accountable to anyone.
    We've already seen protests against TTIP in France, Germany and Ned. It's not nailed on as it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    But we desperately need to give US companies the right to sue Yerpean governments for policies that they think damage their interests, and to privatise and take control of the NHS. #ttip
    While we come at this from very different political angles, a, I must admit that I find the spectacle of those on 'the left' supporting membership of the EU deeply baffling. You mention TTIP and, in conjunction with free movement of labour driving down wages and the fact that the thing is avowedly a free-trade zone designed to aid big business, I see absolutely nothing for anyone of the left to find to support in the thing.

I mean the President of the United States just rocked up to tell us what a good idea it was for us to do what we're told because that's what they want and much of 'the left' appears to be lapping it up and saying we should be good boys and girls and do what that nice Mr President tells us, ffs! You couldn't make it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    While we come at this from very different political angles, a, I must admit that I find the spectacle of those on 'the left' supporting membership of the EU deeply baffling. You mention TTIP and, in conjunction with free movement of labour driving down wages and the fact that the thing is avowedly a free-trade zone designed to aid big business, I see absolutely nothing for anyone of the left to find to support in the thing.

I mean the President of the United States just rocked up to tell us what a good idea it was for us to do what we're told because that's what they want and much of 'the left' appears to be lapping it up and saying we should be good boys and girls and do what that nice Mr President tells us, ffs! You couldn't make it up!
    The abandonment of the working class, and the failure to redefine it, in favour of aspiring to a benevolent paternalism, where things are bestowed from the elite rather than fought for by the masses.

The threats from Obama were pretty vile, I thought, and I was disturbed to see the glee with they were recieved in some quarters.