Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Theresa May wants us to stay in the EU, but pull out of the ECHR?

So Theresa May wants us to stay in the EU, but pull out of the ECHR?

I, for one, am confused. I'm aware that strictly speaking they're separate institutions, but they're not all that separate, since it seems questionable whether one can be a member of one without being signed up to the other.

Obviously, the idea is to fob off those who are thinking of voting Leave with the vague promise of getting out of the ECHR, but the message is pretty badly mixed. After all, one minute they're telling us the EU's brilliant and how grateful we ought to be and the next they're agreeing that one of its key underpinnings (a broad, Europe-wide agreement on rights and jurisprudence) is a load of old ****.

The Jorge
    In fairness, she's been on the fence so long she's got a flange like a CDT classroom's floor. But it's OK, we dont need human rights, workers rights or freedom of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jorge View Post
    In fairness, she's been on the fence so long she's got a flange like a CDT classroom's floor. But it's OK, we dont need human rights, workers rights or freedom of movement.
    But we desperately need to give US companies the right to sue Yerpean governments for policies that they think damage their interests, and to privatise and take control of the NHS. #ttip

Yeah, 'cos we never had any rights until those nice Europeans taught us all about them, did we?

I find Theresa May's attempts to look physically attractive extremely disturbing. I do wish she'd stop it .

Yes, I remember well how, prior to 1975, the labour force in this country was indentured and forced to build Austin Allegros at gunpoint for no wages. Also, we weren't allowed to travel, you know. The first Englishman to see France was Mr Brian Scrote, who went on a day trip to Calais in January 1976 thanks to the Common Market forcing the British government to allow him to travel FACT.

The Jorge
    Not massively, no, unless you call a thousand years of constitutional fudges a proper enshrinement of fundamental rights.

On Theresa May, I know what you mean. The other day in Parliament she basically had the baps out, well I say baps but they were more artisanal pittas. Maybe she feels pressure from sharing a name with the busty 80s page 3 toyota starlet.

The Jorge
    I know you're a fan of the unspecified good old days but I'm not sure 1975 would be my first stab at your go-to year

Our fudges of course are why we, unlike these freedom loving Europeans, have never managed to produce a Napoleon, a Hitler, a Mussolini, a Franco, a Stalin, a Salazar... shall I go on?
    Last edited by Mo Britain less Europe; 04-25-2016 at 02:16 PM.

The Jorge
    Out is not going to solve that, is it? Look at the ****s that are leading the campaign ferchris'sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    But we desperately need to give US companies the right to sue Yerpean governments for policies that they think damage their interests, and to privatise and take control of the NHS. #ttip
    While we come at this from very different political angles, a, I must admit that I find the spectacle of those on 'the left' supporting membership of the EU deeply baffling. You mention TTIP and, in conjunction with free movement of labour driving down wages and the fact that the thing is avowedly a free-trade zone designed to aid big business, I see absolutely nothing for anyone of the left to find to support in the thing.

I mean the President of the United States just rocked up to tell us what a good idea it was for us to do what we're told because that's what they want and much of 'the left' appears to be lapping it up and saying we should be good boys and girls and do what that nice Mr President tells us, ffs! You couldn't make it up!