Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: I wonder if the blame for the patchy home form is going to be put squarely on

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Blame? No.A contributor? Yes.
    Wasn't our home record a lot better last season?

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    We can only be said to have escaped it if you believe that this team has performed to the utmost of its ability and that fourth is the best it could have expected.

    But I don't think that is your argument, is it? You believe we have underperformed and refuse to accept that the poisonous behaviour of our supporters may be any sort of factor in that underperformance on the grounds that professionals shouldn't allow the fact that the people who are supposed to be on their side are instead consistently booing them. And if you refuse to accept that, the logic dictates that you don't believe there is or should be such a thing as home advantage.

    Effectively, you are arguing that among professionals, there should be no such thing as morale. You seem to think that anyone getting paid to do a job will do the job the same way regardless of human factors. I would have thought you of all people would understand the importance of morale to performance.
    Regardless of expectations, we have done alright. Could've done better, could've done alot worse. Don't forget that I am firmly in the "we need to buy a fifty million pound striker" camp so my own hopes for us are always adjusted accordingly.

    As I say, we can still win the title. You know, despite half the season's matches being subject to the "poisonous behaviour of our supporters". What do you imagine Leicester City's fans were like last season as they played their way towards relegation? Did they change out the whole thirty thousand of them for this term (although, I did read an amusing tale about one poor chap there who, after many years, finally allowed his wife to persuade him to give up his season ticket last Summer)?

    No, getting paid and results is the most important thing. You do your job, they pay you for that and also to do it again tomorrow; no problem. That's being a professional. Morale is simply a term used when dealing with folk from outside, to be polite, if and when necessary. An excuse. It's nothing to do with the truth, but simply we supporters feel better if the players and staff at least pretend to care about how we feel, good or bad.
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    Regardless of expectations, we have done alright. Could've done better, could've done alot worse. Don't forget that I am firmly in the "we need to buy a fifty million pound striker" camp so my own hopes for us are always adjusted accordingly.

    As I say, we can still win the title. You know, despite half the season's matches being subject to the "poisonous behaviour of our supporters". What do you imagine Leicester City's fans were like last season as they played their way towards relegation? Did they change out the whole thirty thousand of them for this term (although, I did read an amusing tale about one poor chap there who, after many years, finally allowed his wife to persuade him to give up his season ticket last Summer)?

    No, getting paid and results is the most important thing. You do your job, they pay you for that and also to do it again tomorrow; no problem. That's being a professional. Morale is simply a term used when dealing with folk from outside, to be polite, if and when necessary. An excuse. It's nothing to do with the truth, but simply we supporters feel better if the players and staff at least pretend to care about how we feel, good or bad.
    Give it up, dude. He's done you like a kipper here.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Wasn't our home record a lot better last season?
    Yes.However,we were never going to win it last year.The fact we could have and not capitalised on it this year seems to have turned some supporters moaning into a lot of supporters moaning.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Ash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    8,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    ...refuse to accept that the poisonous behaviour of our supporters may be any sort of factor in that underperformance
    Lumping all our supporters together and calling them all poisonous is reductive and an over-statement. As an witness to events I would say that apathy and resignation are more prevalent feelings than toxicity. None of us know how much an effect the crowd has either way. 1%, 2%, 5%? Of course every bit helps, but systematically blaming the crowd with exaggerated rhetoric while the club's staff keep ****ing up their jobs seems wrong to me.

    Also there is the false assumption that Arsenal are uniquely bad. It's like Jorge's hate for his country, assuming we are the worst and everyone else is better.

    I don't know why I bother saying this tbh. It just goes round in circles.
    Last edited by Ash; 04-20-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Typo

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Give it up, dude. He's done you like a kipper here.
    Not at all. You can see it for yourself; would you rather get booed or go unpaid?

    And if you get paid, who cares about the booing
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Lumping all our supporters together and calling them all poisonous is reductive and an over-statement. As an witness to events I would say that apathy and resignation are more prevalent feelings than toxicity. None of us know how much an affect the crowd has either way. 1%, 2%, 5%? Of course every bit helps, but systematically blaming the crowd with exaggerated rhetoric while the club's staff keep ****ing up their jobs seems wrong to me.

    Also there is the false assumption that Arsenal are uniquely bad. It's like Jorge's hate for his country, assuming we are the worst and everyone else is better.

    I don't know why I bother saying this tbh. It just goes round in circles.
    That's my sons they're talking about
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Ash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    8,083
    Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    That's my sons they're talking about
    And your hard-earned readies to pay for tickets and travel. And another thing, the sack-the-fans brigade never acknowledge the crowd when things have gone well, while fans have been heartily blasting out numbers of support such as "Good old Arsenal!" and "the greatest team the world has ever seen", which is pretty damned generous I'd have thought for a mob that aren't even the greatest team in North London any more.

  9. #39

    loooooooooooooooooooooool

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And your hard-earned readies to pay for tickets and travel. And another thing, the sack-the-fans brigade never acknowledge the crowd when things have gone well, while fans have been heartily blasting out numbers of support such as "Good old Arsenal!" and "the greatest team the world has ever seen", which is pretty damned generous I'd have thought for a mob that aren't even the greatest team in North London any more.
    :indifferent:
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  10. #40
    Looks like Wenger was reading this
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •