Don't miss the Soccer Six tournament at the Mile End Stadium on May 21

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: I wonder if the blame for the patchy home form is going to be put squarely on

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    It may not be considered normal, reasonable behaviour in an operating theatre gallery. A's point, I think, is that it *is* normal, reasonable behaviour in football.

    That's why players have all that mental strength, I suppose.
    Yes,it is a fair point.But it still doesn't help.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    But it still doesn't help.
    No, it doesn't help, that's true. But I think there is a tendancy amongst some of those who are least inclined to accept shortcomings on behalf of players and manager to make the most of the shortcomings of fans.

    If only we could replace the fans everything would be all right.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    No, it doesn't help, that's true. But I think there is a tendancy amongst some of those who are least inclined to accept shortcomings on behalf of players and manager to make the most of the shortcomings of fans.

    If only we could replace the fans everything would be all right.
    OK, but there is an equal tendency among those fans who most vocally complain to deny that their actions may have any negative consequences for the team.

  4. #24
    And I think David Squires' fine effort deserves a mention here.

    https://thesunshineroom.com/2013/03/...llel-universe/

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    OK, but there is an equal tendency among those fans who most vocally complain to deny that their actions may have any negative consequences for the team.
    Right, but A has already pointed out, even decent teams get the bird sometimes. Crucially though, points are still awarded for the players' performances and results regardless.

    You don't appreciate that in our haste to banter off the supporters, we risk ignoring a rather more essential aspect of the matter?
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    Right, but A has already pointed out, even decent teams get the bird sometimes. Crucially though, points are still awarded for the players' performances and results regardless.

    You don't appreciate that in our haste to banter off the supporters, we risk ignoring a rather more essential aspect of the matter?
    Correct,this is why my initial response was NOT to blame the fans for the results (ergo blaming players and management) but say the fans were a contributary factor in some results.I stand by that.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    Correct,this is why my initial response was NOT to blame the fans for the results (ergo blaming players and management) but say the fans were a contributary factor in some results.I stand by that.
    Fair enough. But it simply makes no sense to me. We employ some of the top people in the world in each and every department of the football club, but yet we are supposed to believe that our fortunes really actually depend on what mood Claude & Co. happen to be in on a matchday.

    Ridicules.

    My point, if there is one, would be that it actually makes no difference either way. And the only time it's mentioned is as an excuse.
    Last edited by reg; 04-20-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    Fair enough. But it simply makes no sense to me. We employ some of the top people in the world in each and every department of the football club, but yet we are supposed to believe that our fortunes really actually depend on what mood Claude & Co. happen to be in on a matchday.

    Ridicules.

    My point, if there is one, would be that it actually makes no difference either way. And the only time it's mentioned is as an excuse.
    The logical conclusion of your argument is that whether the fans cheer or boo should make no difference to the team. Unfortunately, that runs counter to the entire logic of football, in which home support is considered to be a major advantage as it encourages our players and intimidates theirs. By the same token, a lack of support or worse at home is bound to have a negative effect on the team. There is simply no escaping this logic, I'm afraid.

    However good a player is, they are still subject to human factors. They can still use home support to raise their game as they would use any other advantage. Thus, the absence of home support makes a difference.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The logical conclusion of your argument is that whether the fans cheer or boo should make no difference to the team. Unfortunately, that runs counter to the entire logic of football, in which home support is considered to be a major advantage as it encourages our players and intimidates theirs. By the same token, a lack of support or worse at home is bound to have a negative effect on the team. There is simply no escaping this logic, I'm afraid.

    However good a player is, they are still subject to human factors. They can still use home support to raise their game as they would use any other advantage. Thus, the absence of home support makes a difference.
    No, I disagree. We *have* escaped your logic; we are fourth in the league, not bottom. Even at this late stage and despite everything we could still win the title.

    Of course, players are human! However, professionals give up the right to use human factors as an excuse; they do their job, they win or they lose and that's it. Then they get ready for the next one. That's why they are professionals. They don't care about outside factors.

    And that is true for Curly's wife's brain surgeon as it is for me and Arsene Wenger or the nice lady who's just been here to fix a minor problem with a car.
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    No, I disagree. We *have* escaped your logic; we are fourth in the league, not bottom. Even at this late stage and despite everything we could still win the title.

    Of course, players are human! However, professionals give up the right to use human factors as an excuse; they do their job, they win or they lose and that's it. Then they get ready for the next one. That's why they are professionals. They don't care about outside factors.

    And that is true for Curly's wife's brain surgeon as it is for me and Arsene Wenger or the nice lady who's just been here to fix a minor problem with a car.
    We can only be said to have escaped it if you believe that this team has performed to the utmost of its ability and that fourth is the best it could have expected.

    But I don't think that is your argument, is it? You believe we have underperformed and refuse to accept that the poisonous behaviour of our supporters may be any sort of factor in that underperformance on the grounds that professionals shouldn't allow the fact that the people who are supposed to be on their side are instead consistently booing them. And if you refuse to accept that, the logic dictates that you don't believe there is or should be such a thing as home advantage.

    Effectively, you are arguing that among professionals, there should be no such thing as morale. You seem to think that anyone getting paid to do a job will do the job the same way regardless of human factors. I would have thought you of all people would understand the importance of morale to performance.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •