Click here for Arsenal FC personalised gift shop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: I wonder if the blame for the patchy home form is going to be put squarely on

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't know where you work, but on those occasions when - as we humans are wont to do - you make a misstep or minor error, do you think that having 50,000 people groaning, calling you a **** and holding up banners demanding that your boss be sacked would help your frame of mind? Or would you perhaps be a teensy bit demotivated, do you think?
    Having the referee smuggled out of the ground in the boot of a car due to the intense intimidation would be nice.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't know where you work, but on those occasions when - as we humans are wont to do - you make a misstep or minor error, do you think that having 50,000 people groaning, calling you a **** and holding up banners demanding that your boss be sacked would help your frame of mind? Or would you perhaps be a teensy bit demotivated, do you think?
    Anyone can perform on a good day; the difference with professionals is that they can still perform even on bad days. As a great man once said.
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by reg View Post
    Anyone can perform on a good day; the difference with professionals is that they can still perform even on bad days. As a great man once said.
    Let's not bring the blessed Bodie and Doyle into this, r.

    But seriously, that isn't the point. The point is that fans who claim to love the club regularly seek to undermine the morale of the players and manager and then wash their hands of it and say 'nothing to do with me, guv' when called on it.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Let's not bring the blessed Bodie and Doyle into this, r.

    But seriously, that isn't the point. The point is that fans who claim to love the club regularly seek to undermine the morale of the players and manager and then wash their hands of it and say 'nothing to do with me, guv' when called on it.
    Ah, I remember now; it was Richie Richardson, when it was once put to him that it seemed the forecasted conditions for a particular test match would not help his bowlers.

    Anyway, it is precisely the point; the fans, and indeed, the players' morale, would be fine if we were five points clear. Blaming the supporters for our performances is merely a crude McGuffin.
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't know where you work, but on those occasions when - as we humans are wont to do - you make a misstep or minor error, do you think that having 50,000 people groaning, calling you a **** and holding up banners demanding that your boss be sacked would help your frame of mind? Or would you perhaps be a teensy bit demotivated, do you think?
    And none of us are paid millions and millions of pounds a year to do our job. And when we do our job properly we don't have 50,000 people cheering and whooping and singing our name and adoring us.

    And 50,000 people aren't holding up banners. About three or four people are. And groaning is a natural response. If you don't want groaning then play behind closed doors. Atletico fans were groaning at mis-placed passes, at three points from the top of the table. Newcastle fans were groaning at their team who played pretty well to get a point against City last night.

    If as a player you can't cope with some flak when you fail to do your job properly then get another job. One which doesn't have the riches and the responsibilities.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And none of us are paid millions and millions of pounds a year to do our job. And when we do our job properly we don't have 50,000 people cheering and whooping and singing our name and adoring us.

    And 50,000 people aren't holding up banners. About three or four people are. And groaning is a natural response. If you don't want groaning then play behind closed doors. Atletico fans were groaning at mis-placed passes, at three points from the top of the table. Newcastle fans were groaning at their team who played pretty well to get a point against City last night.

    If as a player you can't cope with some flak when you fail to do your job properly then get another job. One which doesn't have the riches and the responsibilities.
    So, in short, these supporters are helping or hindering our cause, would you say?

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And none of us are paid millions and millions of pounds a year to do our job. And when we do our job properly we don't have 50,000 people cheering and whooping and singing our name and adoring us.

    And 50,000 people aren't holding up banners. About three or four people are. And groaning is a natural response. If you don't want groaning then play behind closed doors. Atletico fans were groaning at mis-placed passes, at three points from the top of the table. Newcastle fans were groaning at their team who played pretty well to get a point against City last night.

    If as a player you can't cope with some flak when you fail to do your job properly then get another job. One which doesn't have the riches and the responsibilities.
    None of which alters the fact that the fans barracking and groaning and ****ing are undermining the morale of the team they purport to want to do well whilst behaving in a way that could almost be designed to achieve the opposite. That makes them ****ing idiots at best.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    So, in short, these supporters are helping or hindering our cause, would you say?
    They are paying for our cause. What more does anyone want
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    And none of us are paid millions and millions of pounds a year to do our job. And when we do our job properly we don't have 50,000 people cheering and whooping and singing our name and adoring us.

    And 50,000 people aren't holding up banners. About three or four people are. And groaning is a natural response. If you don't want groaning then play behind closed doors. Atletico fans were groaning at mis-placed passes, at three points from the top of the table. Newcastle fans were groaning at their team who played pretty well to get a point against City last night.

    If as a player you can't cope with some flak when you fail to do your job properly then get another job. One which doesn't have the riches and the responsibilities.
    What has money got to do with it? If my missus was undergoing the knife I'm hardly going to stand looking on boo-ing the surgeon and calling him a useless ****er.Footballers are human beings and make mistakes under pressure.Fine when it's the opposition doing it

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCurly View Post
    What has money got to do with it? If my missus was undergoing the knife I'm hardly going to stand looking on boo-ing the surgeon and calling him a useless ****er.Footballers are human beings and make mistakes under pressure.Fine when it's the opposition doing it
    It may not be considered normal, reasonable behaviour in an operating theatre gallery. A's point, I think, is that it *is* normal, reasonable behaviour in football.

    That's why players have all that mental strength, I suppose.
    "A football team is a number 9 and ten other players." - redgunamo.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •