Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You've got to admire ol' Vlad's chutzpah, haven't you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You've got to admire ol' Vlad's chutzpah, haven't you?

He manages perfectly well with one stock statement. 'Nothing to do with me, the CIA dunnit innit.'

This tactic seems to be serving him remarkably well. One day he'll be standing on top of a T72 at Calais ferry terminal telling us all it's a false flag operation to make im look bad.

I'm not entirely sure what our options are

Being, as Russia is, the source of around a third of our energy requirements.

If only we were more forward thinking and considered it a bad idea to sell off our entire utilities infrastructure we may have had a choice.

'I'm not entirely sure what our options are'

Entirely predictably, the option you have chosen is to use the issue as a stick to beat us with.

The problem is Putin. Your ire is better pointed in his direction.

Well no, it's a pretty big strategic error which has limited our options for action

I'm genuinely not sure what our options are, given that much aggression past what's happening already will inevitably lead to a massive upswing in gas, oil and coal prices.

Surely that's a valid point.

What would you do?

I'd open a southern front.

An initial thrust eastwards by the Baltic States and poland would be complemented by our landing in Saudi, pushing up through Iran, Iraq and Syria, (thus securing energy supplies and dealing with the Islamist issue), whilst our Ukrainian allies push west into Romania to secure the Ploesti oil fields.

The Chinese might, of course, take the opportunity amist the confusion to knock the crap out of the Japanesers, but, you know, hey ho.

Blimey, totaal was

Well apart from the fact that that is *******s, you have a point.

Russia is far more dependent on Europe as a market than vice versa. And, in fact, it cannot risk being seen as an unreliable energy supplier, since then its economy disappears even further down the toilet.

Oh, and the UK is actually much less exposed to the Russians cutting off the gas than most of our European neighbours.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/02/26/uk-ukraine-crisis-g as-threat-idUKKBN0LU1VE20150226

There aren't that many other options though

And I know the UK is less dependent but don't we get much of our energy from Europe anyway? Also, most of our energy sector is now carved up between french and german companies.

Re: There aren't that many other options though

http://www.theguardian.com/big-energy-debate/where-does-our- energy-come-from

The majority of our electric power carries a "made in Britain" sticker, bar a fraction that we import from France and The Netherlands (4%). But the story of the fuel stocks burned (or "fissioned", in the case of nuclear) in our power stations is a very different matter.

Yup, with most of our coal coming from Poland and Ukraine