Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it my imagination or do IT people hate web people with a passion?

Is it my imagination or do IT people hate web people with a passion?

I mean, I understand this could be due to the soul crushing nature of their job and the fact they have to deal with r'tards who can't switch their computers on but why do they have to be so beastly to us?

We're on your side IT Guys, we're prepared to even overlook your insistence that ie6 is still a viable browser and your weird adherence to Blackberry, why do you hate us all so much?

Here's something I struggle to understand.

'Computers' were supposed, were they not, to make industry more efficient. They were supposed to be tools to enable industry to create more and sell more, more profitably. Such a tool, one supposes, will require a degree of maintenance, so given that the tool enables us to dispense with rooms full of typists, it would seem acceptable to pay a couple of lads with oily rags to keep the tool working.

Instead, we've ended up in a situation where the tail is wagging the dog. Industry has to do business in a manner that suits the tool instead of the correct way round; and, even more bizarrely it seems that every second person you meet is employed in an area to do with these computery things - all paid for by industry.

It's gone mental. No one cares about the product, or the customer, everyone is obsessed by the system, ot the website.

I think all computers are communist and I won't allow one into the office, that's for sure.

By "web" do you mean marketing?

No, I mean the computery stuff that was invented after 1985

It's amazing just how many big company's IT teams are awful, backward people who consider any sort of connectivity a massive and unpalatable security risk.

And the whole idea that web people are somehow these overly commercial, unskilled and lack the sort of right-on software engineer is a joke too. We're generally enabling much more cost-effective, open source transformative projects whilst the IT departments are still happily forking out 30k licenses to companies to use outdated GIS software.

Sir C are you anything to do with vdl transport... saw one of them up our way

a couple of weeks ago

Indeed, my job is basically focussed on the customer

The only bit where you are very, very wrong is the bit where you compared it to communism. It's a very apt microcosmic representation of a capitalist system where you're hemmed in by the service and licensing agreements of massive capitalist concerns who actively discourage flair, innovation and agility.

It was my grandfather's business.

Cousins nicked it after the war when my father came here.

The *******s stole my inheritance, p

Everybody hates coders J. They suspect we are conning them when we tell them something needs longer

than five minutes. They are, of course, consumed by an inferiority complex because they are incapable writing a lick of code themselves

That bit was by way of a joke, mind.

It seems to me that a computer is a piece of paper, a pencil, and a filing cabinet, but cleverer. How did it get to be in charge?

"The Office" hehe You mean that grubby, little shed you lurk in, overflowing with dog eared copies

of Razzle and dodgy tax returns?