Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another hagiography on the f**king Invincibles set for release Yawn

Another hagiography on the f**king Invincibles set for release Yawn

Honestly, that impressive but ultimately lucky achievement has been milked more than the Titanic.

I half-expected that to be a photo of my Thierry Henry book Hide

You've done a T Henry book??? You should have mentioned it

I would ask you to tell me what achievement in football couldn't be described as 'lucky'?

Well, the most obvious example would be to say that we were not lucky to win the league that season

The team, however, in terms of the impact it had on their legacy, can consider themselves lucky to have achieved the statistical quirk (for that is all it was) of going the season unbeaten.

have you thought of a book linking Henry Ford..model T..and T Henry ?

covers so many demographics its a winner imo

Well if you believe in luck, of course we were.

We were 'lucky' that our campaign wasn't hampered by injuries. We were 'lucky' that there weren't up against a better side that season, etc, etc.

Alternatively, you could argue that they weren't lucky to go the season unbeaten because that came about because of their collective efforts.

The word 'lucky' is a fairly silly one to use.

You're missing my point, which is that had we lost just a single game

that season, it would not in any way have devalued our title victory. Yet the legacy of the team would not have been anywhere near as powerful as it is. Instead that legacy has been artificially propped up by what I previously and reasonably described as a statistical quirk. And for that they were lucky.