Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black people, brown people, coloured people, what's the big deal? Shrug

Black people, brown people, coloured people, what's the big deal? Shrug

Yesterday we had Benedict Cumberbatch having to apologise for using the term "coloured" when referring to black people. On the BBC TV News this morning Tiger Woods, talking about having to blend in with other people at a ski resort, referred to himself as "brown".

It seems to be that non-black people have to use the term "black" but black people can call themselves what they like.

It's all very confusing

Why not just the word people, is there a real need to specify black, yellow or Green?

I never felt that I had to but then I am strange

Well it sort of helps to identify who you're talking about, really.

So when you are talking about white people do you really used the word white?

You mean like you did in that sentence to specify who you were talking about?

If I'm talking about them as a homogenous group in such a way to distinguish them from people of

other colours, yes.

Which leads me to ask what you do in such a situation? If you were trying to describe a black person to someone who'd never met them and had to distinguish them from a crowd that was mostly white, how would you describe them?

Roll eyes

La, I was trying to let that one go so he could tie himself up in even more knots.

This had the potential to get f**king surreal.