Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Are there fitness requirements for coppers?

Are there fitness requirements for coppers?

I saw a man running down the street at i'd say casual jogging speed you might run for the bus at this type of pace)

He was a weird chap no shirt on carring a big metal pipe and hair like sideshow bob.

He was being chased by about 6 coppers none of them could get anywhere near him. he ran through the cars and then into the park.

about 1 minute later one more copper turns up clearly way behind the pace and completely knackered.

Is this normal?

Of course this was followed by 4 Police vans storming past a few minutes later. Do they send even more backup when they are embarrassed?

I went to New York recently and you wouldn't believe the size of the cops waddling around on the

streets. Unbelievable, Geoff
    They do have guns, though, I guess so maybe that invalidates the argument for any kind of physical fitness.

I think so, but the assumption is always that the criminals will generally be faster.

That's why they invented tasers.

Right. As with coursing, the hare must always be allowed the advantage, otherwise it's not sport.

Smile I remember seeing a huge cop in Wall Street with the gun on his massive belt flapping around

I was thinking if somebody wanted to grab it he'd have no chance.

Maybe it's a bit like when you pass your driving test. You drive however the f**k you want

afterwards.

So when you join the police you are fit then you do what you like.

Most police officers in the western world carry firearms. Their problem is,

none of them get enough use. Largely symbolic, ceremonial.

Pretty much, yes. Also, the police tend to rely on procedure, teamwork and

overwhelming numbers, rather than individuals.

In those situations, at least.