Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good article by Sam Harris on the Izchhhhael situation

Good article by Sam Harris on the Izchhhhael situation

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/why-dont-i-criticize-isra el

Not much mention of the auld occupation, mind.

"Whatever terrible things the Israelis have done, it is also true to say that they have used more

restraint in their fighting against the Palestinians than we—the Americans, or Western Europeans—have used in any of our wars."

Ermmm...I'm calling bull**** on that one. I don't remember any missile strikes on West Belfast or any homes being bulldozed.

That's surely because the IRA agreed to sit down and talk

If the Palestians agreed to the same, Israel would cease firing missiles in a split-second (or so Harris is arguing, I think).

If it had been up to 2 Para...

I don't think Northern Ireland counts, does it? More, strong-armed policing than war, I'd say.

I mean, if I rake my kids' tree-house with M16 fire, as I am inclined to do more often than you'd imagine actually, nobody would call my garden a war-zone, would they. In fact, anyone who'd met my children would say Strong, sensible parenting there. Or An acceptable level of violence.

Only after 30 years and being effectively rendered unable to operate.

No. The reason we didn't do that is because we as a people take a dim view of conducting all-out war on our fellow citizens - however bolshy they may be.

The Israeli state, on the other hand, is so fundamentally predicated on racism that the ghettoisation, oppression and killing of non-Jews within their own borders doesn't really bother them.

Exactly. Which was done with the intention of not escalating the bloody thing into a full-on

shooting match.

Fortunately, we don't allow 2 Para to make policy decisions.

Well, not after the last time they were allowed to.

Come on. It is a laughable comparison and you know it. Our existence was never under threat from the

IRA as Irael's is.

What do you think Israel should do then?

The idea that Israel's existence is in any way threatened by Hamas or the Palestinians is a bad joke

Israel's existence hasn't realistically been threatened by anyone since 1973. Hamas are an irritant at worst and launching full-scale military assaults achieves absolutely nothing.

What should Israel do? Well it could start by ensuring that Palestinians don't grow up rat poor, ghettoised, oppressed and under constant threat. It could do things like...ooh, let's see...not denying basic amenities and rights to Palestinians. Those things lead to resentment and make radicalisation much easier.

However, that approach would require some long-term thought rather than the knee-jerk, dick-swinging resort to military force that is the imprimatur of almost all Israeli governments.