Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hehe Well done monty. You continue to fight the good fight.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hehe Well done monty. You continue to fight the good fight.

I fear you're doomed to failure, mind.

You Wenger concubines must be applauded for your fanatical tenacity, if nothing else. Smile

I hardly think that supporting the manager of your football club - a man who has delivered more

success than any of his predecessors and delivered Champions League football for 16 consecutive years - can be considered fanaticism.

I supported him until recently too. But some of you won't accept ANY of his

mistakes, always blaming it on someone/something else or labelling anyone with a different view either an incompetent, an idiot, an imbecile or somewhat beneath you happy few, band of brothers - that's fanaticism. I would be very happy if AW's Arsenal reign (and it's a proper reign) did NOT end in ugly boos, foul abuse and idiotic civil wars between the "fans".

I don't think that's true at all.

Wenger quite clearly has made mistakes, notably with the high wages he offered his young, unproven stars (after being burned by the departure of Flamini).

Some of the players he has bought have ended up not working out, and this summer has been a transfer window to forget, so far.

If there's any antipathy towards those who attack him, it's often because he's the manager of the club we support and has yet to ever let us down - why do people seek to denigrate and undermine his performance? It comes across as short-sightedness at best.

There's no doubt, however, that on both sides we should act with a bit more grace, but since when was that ever a common trait of discussions to do with football?

Remember when we hardly ever talked about football on here? It was more recipeWIMB.

I don't know this 'you' of whom you speak. I have my opinions and some of them are critical (albeit

mildly) of Wenger. I am not part of any group and speak only for myself (unlike those who purport to speak for 'true' Arsenal fans with their absurd anti-Wenger antics). All in all, though, I think he has done (and continues to do a remarkable job. I see no reason to alter that opinion.

The thing is that any argument that becomes polarised also becomes absurdly simplistic and meaningless. If you stop thinking of those who oppose you as an amorphous mass and start dealing with individual opinions, you generally get more productive results.

To be honest, apart from when I'm on a random bender, I find it extremely disheartening, tiresome

and somewhat depressing to engage in any such arguments. I find it sad and a bit heartbreaking that it has come to this. I've always supported Arsenal and whoever was in charge, even Terry Neill I felt sorry for and sympathetic towards as the fans almost rioted outside Highbury after the Walsall defeat. Having been behind AW all those years, I feel a bit rotten having turned on him in the last 6 months or so and perhaps I should reconsider and stick by what I used to believe in, not get swayed by the huge negative tsunami. But then at times I really want to give him a governess' smack in the face. I'm sure he's counting on me, tirelessly crossing and uncrossing his fingers as to what my opinion of him will be.

All managers make mistakes but he doesn't make as many as most

the problem is that we are perhaps expecting too much & I include myself in this. The reality is that we can't spend like City & Chelsea & even Man u. They do have a huge advantage, one being that when they make mistakes they can just spend more & more until they get lucky. It's like the lottery the more tickets you buy the more chance you have. As things stand we buy far fewer tickets but win our fair share of 5 numbers, if that makes sense?