Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After a near decade of claiming that a lack of funds was the reason for not buying any top players

After a near decade of claiming that a lack of funds was the reason for not buying any top players

Ivan’s recent unequivocal statement that there are now large funds available to Wenger - if he wants to use them - leaves Arsene with nowhere to hide.
    All the evidence suggests that Wenger actually could have spent more than he actually did spend and that the real problems were his dodgy signings and overpaying average players.
    It will be interesting to see if he can now act like a big club manager and put together a side that can compete realistically for trophies, instead of just a 4th place finish.
    Even Stan will be expecting a bit more than that now .

'claiming that a lack of funds was the reason for not buying any top players' You claim that

we have not bought ANY top players? You simultaneously attribute a quote to AW that he never made. I couldn't be arsed critiquing the rest of the patent bollox in your post.

They never claimed a lack of funds previously, in fact quite the opposite.

Only now are they suggesting that they will have a large chunk of money to spend once next year's deals kick in, with a less augmented amount this summer.

Really?

Actually Wenger's often claimed that he has had to watch his spending,there was the infamous ,I wouldn't be in this job for long if I didn't make a profit statement for example - and loads of links such as this hinting at past financial restraints.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-re-able-t o-spend-money-now

Yes, but they have always still said there is money to spend

I'm sure you don't need me to dredge up quotes, but I can if you really want to spoil my Sunday morning.

And that was true re: Wenger needing to make a transfer profit for the club to break even on the year's accounts. Before property/transfer income, the club had been making a (circa) 25 million loss each year.

Thank you Mr Angry,

so who were the top players then that Wenger signed since the move from Highbury?

Er, yes, but I said that Wenger could have spent more than he did.

So what exactly is your point then?

"After a near decade of claiming that a lack of funds was the reason for not buying any top players"

Not true. They've always claimed to have had money, but, mysteriously, haven't used it.

It's only now that Wenger/Gazidis are saying that we have actually been hamstrung financially up until now.

To start with Stan and Ivan were not even at the club after the move from Highbury,

Fiszman claimed that there was money available if Arsene wanted it ,Wenger himself made many ambiguous statements regarding what was available for him to spend. Hill-Wood said that Arsene is very cautious in the transfer market you know... he claimed that Danny asked Wenger what would you do if we gave you 100m to spend... Arsene replied... I would hand it straight back to you.
    All good knock-about fun this but leaving this nonsense aside all of the evidence that is available does suggest that Wenger could have spent more money than he did spend - without causing the club to go bust ... but for whatever reason chose not to do so.
    Ivan's taken the pressure off himself and Stan now after his robust statement of intent - and put it all on to Arsene. He must be well pleased

I think you should buy this t-shirt.

It says all you want to say, without too much repetition.
    http://undergrass.spreadshirt.com/everything-is-****-A773883 8