Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I went to Egypt in Easter with my family

I went to Egypt in Easter with my family

My daughter went on the internet via WiFi in the reception and via a Mac cable in our hotel room. I know she didn't go on the net via her mobile phone. She checked that the WiFi sign was up every time she was on the net.

Still she got an unspeakable mobile phone bill when returning home claiming she'd been on 3G. She is also sure she turned data roaming off.

She's traveled abroad ****loads of times before, using an iPhone 4, and it has never happened before. With her iPhone 5 all sorts of **** seems to happen.

I didn't realise Telenor charged so much for roaming, so I was streaming the Olympic coverage when

J.R. Vegas does not like that....

You can also get hammered if her friends send her MMS type text messages...

Always best to have a "throwaway" pay as you go phone with a locally sourced sim card to avoid those nasty charges..

I have learnt that they are the worst of them all

110 NOK per mB in Egypt. Modern piracy.

I have an iPhone 5. I have data roaming set to off the whole time

And use wifi when applicable. Never had a 3G usage charge.

I like to compare what happened to her with what

happens to you if you step into a bar in Soho and agree to buy one of the girls a bottle of Champagne.

"That'll be 5000 punds, Sir."

Same ****, the phone company will rob you.

It should not be possible. Still, it happened.

I suspect she's wrong, and that the data roaming was on. Still, she never went on the 3G.

Thing was she was in Stockholm the week before and opened the phone to foreign usage. Travelling to Egypt in the same month left her open for massive usage.

I have the data roaming turned off the whole time though. You don't need it on when in your home

country.

Yup!

I thought the EU were bringing in legislation to stop mobile phone companies from over-charging and that a cap limit was to be applied?

BTW: I worked for a company that did the financial clearing for the middle east mobile phone companies.....the monthly fees they generate is astounding...even for the 2nd and 3rd tier level providers that piggy back onto the 1st tier companies infrastructure.

There is - you get notified, and you need to text "continue abroad"

which she did in Stockholm. She apparently was notified about the costs as they came along, but she didn't understand what it was, besides, what was she to do, she did as I told her and never went on the net.