Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Currently reading London Under the secret history beneath the streets by Peter Ackroyd. Fascinatingg

Currently reading London Under the secret history beneath the streets by Peter Ackroyd. Fascinatingg

Haven't read this but have read another book about subterranean London. Ackroyd must have a hugeteam

of researchers, he really does churn them out! His biography of London is magisterial.

Hmmm, he's ok, but way too whimsical. He needs to lay off the 'city as a sentient being' theme.

He thinks he can sense the ghosts of despair around the site of the old St Giles Rookery, hundreds of years later. I dunno about that, Peter, but there's cause for despair at the child-like primary colours of those new office blocks they built on the site.

Well it's a conceit which works if you don't push it too far, too often.

Re: Currently reading London Under the secret history beneath the streets by Peter Ackroyd. Fascinatingg

I'm looking for a few good books to read. This sounds quite interesting, GSTB.

What can you tell me about it that will make me go and buy it?

Re: Haven't read this but have read another book about subterranean London. Ackroyd must have a hugeteam

Sounds like a good book, and going on your opinion, I just bought it off of Ebay.

Thanks for the recommendation

I remember wanting to have a word with you abojut something last november

Well dont keep me in suspense...wot the fark is it you wanted to say

it might have something to do with the texans? ring any bells?

Pfffft...only one sport to follow, mate, and it aint that ****e!