Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Redflag, how many times has the English CL qualifying team not made it through the qualifiers?

Redflag, how many times has the English CL qualifying team not made it through the qualifiers?

Is it just Everton, the year after Liverpool won it and we had 5 teams in there?

Tempting fate there mm*

*If we do finish 4th

Not in the slightest. I am just asking for a historical look at facts.

They've changed the qualifying format now though with the 3rd/4th placed teams from the

better leagues having to play each other.

You'd still expect us to qualify but they won't be 5-0 walkovers like the games we used to have.

Oh right, I had no idea about that. But we got the Italians a couple of years ago

Or is the Italian league not considered one of the better leagues?

Ask David Moyes about it.

spuds finished 4th last season,but Chelsea winning the cup put them in the Europa League.

The point was that finishing 4th only guarantees Europa League football, fact.

If you want to try and argue otherwise then go ahead and do it.

We needed a penalty save from our young Pole last time to scrape through the qualifier tie.

This has been in place for a couple of years

Okay, a couple of things there

1) I used Everton as the example, so no real point me asking Moyes.
    2) It is impossible for last year to be repeated as there are no English teams left in the Champions League, let alone teams who are outside of the automatic top 4 places.

Yeah we beat Udinese 3-1. Although i seem to remember us being rather fortunate in the home game

with them creating quite a lot of chances. And a Chesney penalty save. Before the new rule though we wouldn't have been playing the 3rd/4th placed team from the Italian league.

As i said, we should still qualify.