Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was just thinking back to seasons gone by and remembered that fateful deadline day last season.

I was just thinking back to seasons gone by and remembered that fateful deadline day last season.

Who did we end up panic buying? Santos, Arteta, Park? Did Squillaci join then as well?

I imagine Wenger realising late on in the day that he barely had enough players to fill the squad so just thought he would go out and buy a defender, a midfielder and a striker, regardless of who they actually were.

I can't help but feel we'd have been better off just saving the wages (with the exception of Arteta - can you believe he had to take a pay cut to join from Everton )

*Two seasons ago

And I believe we got Mertesacker then, as well? Squillaci joined one or two seasons before that, irrc

Pft, they all blend into one for me.

I don't know how he got it so wrong with Santos

I remember people saying at the time that he was a pretty poor defender and they couldn't understand why he'd signed him

I still remember someone pointing out that he was up at 03:00 posting pictures on Instagram the night before an important game

Yes Squillaci was signed in 2010. I remember someone on here - I think it was a medical student of

some description posting on here that he believed SS was a miles better defender than Koscielny (admittedly based on what his mate had told him). Wonder who that was

And there is, of course, the video of him tucking into a large portion of fish and chips in the

middle of the season when he wasn't injured.

That in itself is not an issue. Most things are OK in moderation. But if you're a professional athlete who already has weight issues, it's probably best to stick to chicken salad.

These Brazilians often seem to have weight issues.

But he is a typical Brazilian fullback, better going forward than defending, he has been called up

Brazil again

I am much happier with Gibbs and Monreal even though Nacho had a few problems at the weekend

Frown I heard that in France he was famed for being an efficient, if unspectacular defender.

They were certainly correct with the unspectacular apart.

Gibbs is surprisingly good in the air.

Santos had a few games of beginning to look really good before he got injured long-term

And then the fans started rinsing him when he was coming back. Sad times