Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy stuff to think that the government must provide milk for a kid

Crazy stuff to think that the government must provide milk for a kid

as opposed to the parents.

But here we are, the US of A, with 50 million people on food stamps and 90 million unemployed.

That doesn't count the IT guy, now working the drive thru window at Arby 's.

Only 63% of those able to work have jobs. Those who have career path jobs has to be under. 50%.

I blame Bush.

Then again, you stated that 'Illegals' are permitted Food Stamps

Exhbit #65894 proving your desire to ramble about politics is matched only by your distinct lack of knowledge thereof.

Step out of the Low Information bubble, and as Alf Garnett would say " You might learrrrrrn sumfink"

People have to stop telling **** on their resumes. I can't match the resume with the person in front

of me in interviews. Rampant lying, boasting and baseless claims. Most U.S. companies struggle to find good people. I'd rather take someone who only finished high school in Europe than someone with a degree in the U.S. The U.S. still has the smartest and most talented people, but following behind them is a mass of lazy, unmotivated, entitlement-focused plebs, who amaze me they found their way to the interview, much less passed any exam at a college.

Low standards = low quality people. That's why so much emphasis is put on Ivy League, if you outside of the top colleges you're by and large getting monkeys who aren't concerned with working their way up the ladder, piss and moan about their pay from day one and have a ****ty attitude.

Good of you to acknowledge that Bush is to blame.

Your prejudices appear to be affecting your judgement.

What does someone have to do for you to consider them a 'lazy, unmotivated, entitlement-focused pleb'?

Lie on their resume, tell me they have work ethic and not work, start talking about pay grades in

the open office. You know, small stuff that you can overlook. Don't get me wrong, I have dynamite U.S. employees but there's a thick middle layer of ****e in the job market who went to college for the sake of it and is angry they aren't going to be rich.

I get the impression you are an overly demanding boss

but fair enough.

Having lived through the milk thing I have some specific memories.

The quality of milk was often very poor. Dairy companies would often recycle its old milk that was unsold instead of providing the fresh milk that it received the state money for. The highlight of the 11am third-of-a-pint bottle was what shape you got to punch the straw through the foil. Would it be a circle, a square, a diamond, or a cross? Unfortunately the milk itself was often disgustingly sour. I remember disliking it, and my dear Ms A, living on the other side of London at the time, had similar negative experiences and even got a note from her mum so she wouldn't have to drink it. She is still nervous about drinking milk to this day.

I think the idea was that the country could collectively help to provide nutrition to its children. It was introduced in 1944, restricted from secondary schools by a Labour govt in 68, and again for over-sevens in 1971, when MT was Education Secretary.

My point is that the real problem with it was not the concept of collective provision, but the abuse of the dairy companies that profited from it.

Not really. Low college standards have produced a lot of low calibre people with high calibre requir

-ements. Everyone thinks they are entitled without working for it. I had a girl straight out of college ask for a six-figure salary. And, no, she wasn't from a college remotely like Harvard. She was from a community college, but "couldn't afford to work for less than 100k per year".

I wish she were the only example I had...........

If you think about it, not such a stupid investment when you also pay for their healthcare

And on top of that you take in the bulk purchase bargaining power of giving a kid a third of a pint of milk a day.

It's not 'as opposed to parents' either, it's not a zero sum game ffs, but for some kids it would be the only milk they get.