Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how times have changed part 613. Secret Santa has been to the office

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how times have changed part 613. Secret Santa has been to the office

and delivered me a stock of old arsenal v Tottenham programmes. Which is really very nice.

Amongst many gems the following extract from a letter to the then manager in the 1951 programme

Dear Mr Whittaker

This is the first time I have ever written to a football club. But on Saturday my young brother and I went along to Maine Road to see the Manchester City v. Arsenal match. We haven't stopped talking about the superlative football, ball control and teamwork which your team displayed. I am a keen Manchester United fan and you will agree that I should know what good football is. But Arsenal seem to be able to do what United and Spurs do, without any dashing about and without any effort at all. We were too young to see pre-war football but when we have seen Arsenal since, it's easy to see how they achieved their brilliant record in the past and on Saturday's form they are sure to win the cup or championship this season....

The letter from a T.Corless in Manchester ends with a PS asking to join the Arsenal Supporters Club.

Bloody hell, what industry do you work in?

If you don't mind me asking, of course. Just curious as to the types that'd do such a lovely present.

as a very private lobster

I never divulge my personal details and those people on here who think I am some kind of lawyer working in a global law firm whilst masquerading as a comical crustacean figure on an arsenal site are just making it up imo.

You'll come out of your shell one day, old boy

Cheers, you've just upped my impression of big nasty corporate lawyers

how times have changed? Bolton, Wolves, Preston, Notts County, Huddersfield, Tottenham

Corinthian Casuals, Hartlepools, Bradford Park Avenue

Corinthian Casuals, my best mate has played for them for many years and I have been to see them play

a few times (early 1930s)

I could be wrong bur I believe they are the oldest English football club

No, that's Sheffield FC

Not United or Wednesday. I only know because I done a mini-documentary on it once

f**k me you're old.