Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Kind of lame when people accuse the pro-press regulation celebrities

Kind of lame when people accuse the pro-press regulation celebrities

of only wanting regulation so newspapers can't expose their misdemeanours anymore.

Is it not more likely that having been victims of press intrusion, they are more exercised about the issue and, understandably, out for revenge?

There is little chance of me being on the front pages of the tabloids, but I'd love to see the press neutured because ultimately they are scum of the earth

The guy from Horse and Hound seems very pro-regulation.

My favourite is the politicians arguing for a "free press" on ideological grounds

It has nothing to do with them being cowardly and utterly, utterly terrified of the press turning on them if they were to argue in favour of regulation and/or cutting off their lucrative ghost-written columns.

Yes, David Blunkett, I'm looking at you

Kind of lame when people accuse the pro-press regulation celebrities

As it 'appens I suspect that Jim would have agreed with you.

Breeding a whole new generation of Jimmy Saville types

He clearly isn't looking at you

Isn't Saville a really bad example to use? Seeing as he was up to his noncery when the press had a

lot of freedom? Everyone in the media knew about Saville, yet none of them had the will or courage to investigate and expose him

Indeed, whilst at the same time they are castigating the BBC for knowing and not doing anything

Strange they didnt castigate Thatcher who had him over for christmas eleven years running

If you take that freedom away, there will be even less chance of reporting what is going on

Saville used the press to his advantage and threatened everyone if the press dared to report on his misdemeanors. If I have understood this right, these "celebs" are asking for something approaching the same privilege?