Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can someone explain why in olympics basketball....

can someone explain why in olympics basketball....

.... the rules state that you can play any player you choose .... but in football it has to be mainly U-23's?

Seems especially unfair as the Septics just pick any NBA players who fancy a medal and just turn up to win the gold...

Good point, but at a guess I'd say it's because Basketball doesn't have many international matches.

Arnt Spain the new boys on the block in that sport?

I think it is the only true global international event...i think we used to only

send the college players 20 odd yrs ago and probably got upset by a minnow or 2...hence the big guns of the last few games...should be college players though

"we"?

couple of top nba players play for spain..Pau Gasol being the best, a great player even in the nba

I've never understood it.

Handball, volleyball, basketball, pick whoever you want. But football? No. I think it comes from a time when olympic athletes needed to be amateurs. And all the big nations had pro football. So instead of allowing nations like Norway, Sweden or Denmark who had strong amateur leagues run away with it, they came up with this silly rule so that France or Spain could use pro's, only young ones.

Picking my fantasy team, Mccleary and Mariappa? Any good? Wink

Well, see, we lost once to the Russians, right? So there's your answer.

Never. Forget.

Getting beat in 88 in Seoul by Russia in the semis was the straw the broke the camel's back.

And lead to the formation of the dream team for the 1992 Olympic in Barcelona.