Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you have John Mcenroe providing punditry on beach volleyball

Why do you have John Mcenroe providing punditry on beach volleyball

and Michael Johnson on diving, rather than experts on the sports?

I don't give much of a fúck about either sport, but on an occasion that I find myself watching one of them (i.e. when it's on prime time tv), I'd quite like someone to be able to tell me about the tactics and techniques involved?

Because they've already paid for McEnroe and Johnson so they may as well

use them.

Because there's no such thing as prime time when it comes to beach volleyball or diving.

Therefore, there are no prime time pundits. So it may as well be those two as anybody else; both extremely popular fellows, so I gather.

I thought for Beach volleyball it was the snowboarder chap from Ski Sunday?

They don't appear to be bothering with any commentary at all on the handball.

Everytime I've tried to watch it, there's been no commentary - which made it rather tricky when there was a bit of a disagreement going on between the ref and one of the players.

If I cared about the sport, I'd have been most cross. I suspect that only about 5 people in the country DO actually care about handball, though.

Surely it's also because they know that the vast majority of their audience

would be alienated by an unrecognisable expert talking about technical side of a minority sport and so choose to go with a the safe option of a celebrity, even if they offer little besides a familiar face?

Right. And expertise and punditry have always been two entirely different things, in any case.

People, rightly, in my view, prefer the latter.

Watching the Norway vs Sweden game last night, I wouldn't have noticed any commentary!

That is a seriously vigorous ****ing session to actually make you lose your hearing

Vine died awhile back, I thought.

RIP.