Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Other observation: The USA competitors in the "Asian Sports" like table tennis and badminton, etc.

Other observation: The USA competitors in the "Asian Sports" like table tennis and badminton, etc.

look decidedly more Asian than their competitors from Korea, China, Malaysia, etc., complete with Asian surnames.

Hilariously, the Korean men's doubles badminton team has their hair dyed reddish brown and sported Justin Beiber inspired barnets.

Asian means something different in this country to what it does over your way

And in the rest of the world. It must have been your presence in India/Pakistan

that produced a need fr a wrd to describe people from that region as Asians.

Asian is a rather ambiguous term....

we call people from the Far East, Oriental, which I understand is not taken too well out your way. Not sure what your collective to those from the Indian subcontinent, i.e. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh?

Well, a politically incorrect person might say Oriental

Japan, Korea, Mongolia, China .. trace your way down the Pacific rim of Asia until you hit Australia ... then stop.

Inaccurately, we don't consider India/Pakistan as 'Asia' although I have seen the term Southwest Asians now and again.

The Mrs tells me that it is South Asian.....

Someone once said "Middle Eastern cos they all look the same". I explained to him that calling someone from India, Middle Eastern is likely to get you a thick lip, or worse.

We don't have a collective term for these nations. We label these people by their nationality.

Nothing wrong with "oriental", it's just not used.

I feel that you are doing some classically British picking at nits here b&b

All I was doing was trying to describe a whole set of sports in as concise a way as possible.

I wasn't starting anything..... just pointing out a difference...