PDA

View Full Version : The person we should be moaning about isn’t the ref

WES
04-10-2024, 06:50 AM
it’s Saka.

How do you not try to stay on your feet and finish that, in that position???

Fewmin 🤬

7sisters
04-10-2024, 06:56 AM
it’s Saka.

Fewmin 🤬

I feel we’ve blown it anyway. You really have to win your home legs at this stage of the competition.
It’s a cliche perhaps but we’re still a bit short of quality at the very top level.

redgunamo
04-10-2024, 07:15 AM
it’s Saka.

Fewmin 🤬

You've certainly seen them given. But Manuel Neuer is the best 'keeper of his generation for good reason; he has that aura even now.

Bukayo had beaten him earlier but face-to-face like that is a different matter entirely. Add in all the defenders there mopping up; he, I think, felt, in that moment, that he had a better chance from the spot.

redgunamo
04-10-2024, 07:17 AM
I feel we’ve blown it anyway. You really have to win your home legs at this stage of the competition.
It’s a cliche perhaps but we’re still a bit short of quality at the very top level.

On the other hand, BM will be very disappointed and WORRIED that they couldn't even beat the Arsenal even after we gifted them two goals.

IUFG
04-10-2024, 07:55 AM
it’s Saka.

Fewmin ��

Harsh imo.

Under performers, last night...

Raya
Kiwior
Jorginho
Martinelli

:judge:

PSRB
04-10-2024, 08:05 AM
it’s Saka.

Fewmin 🤬

:rubchin: Kane shouldn't have been on the pitch and I'm sorry, that's a penalty

Peter
04-10-2024, 09:43 AM
it’s Saka.

Fewmin ��

The pace and touch inside takes him right into the defender who is blocking his path. He could have carried on but he had a lot to do.

He saw the leg and went over it. 90% of the time the ref gives that. And as I have said elsewhere, next week this will get given at the other end.

If you are looking for blame over the result I would suggest looking at the previous 70 minutes. We were largely second best from the minute we gave away that stupid equaliser.

Peter
04-10-2024, 09:44 AM

The elbow was 100% deliberate but not convinced it was a red card. There isn't a big swing of the elbow.

Sir C
04-10-2024, 10:27 AM
The elbow was 100% deliberate but not convinced it was a red card. There isn't a big swing of the elbow.

:hehe: A deliberate elbow to the face is a red card p, irrespective of the length of the swing.

Peter
04-10-2024, 10:52 AM
:hehe: A deliberate elbow to the face is a red card p, irrespective of the length of the swing.

Not if you just 'leave it there'. Similarly, you can deliberately smack someone in the back of the head, off the ball, as long as the main contact is with the arm rather than the fist.

Violent conduct is a red card but 'he knew what he was doing there' can fall short.

In other words, refs can do whatever the hell they want. Or, more accurately, I understand that refs are encouraged to consider the degree of force in assessing violent conduct and/ or endangering an opponent and to prioritise this over intent. Therefore an unintentionally reckless challenge of excessive force is considered worse than an intentional 'challenge' of lesser force.

pjlincs
04-10-2024, 12:09 PM
Harsh imo.

Under performers, last night...

Raya
Kiwior
Jorginho
Martinelli

:judge:

TP5 was horrendous! Let's hope we don't have to rely on him at any point during the run-in.

Rice was slightly off the boil (!)

Peter
04-10-2024, 12:17 PM
TP5 was horrendous! Let's hope we don't have to rely on him at any point during the run-in.

Rice was slightly off the boil (!)

Ahem...! Partey made a brilliant foul and took his yellow like a man :-)

Zinchenko, a few moments earlier, went on another aimless run, and overran the ball, exposing us to a counter attack. His momentum took him right onto the player he gave the ball to and he had the perfect opportunity to block him and prevent the counter. He didn't.

And this is a guy raised at City, the masters of the tactical foul. :-(

pjlincs
04-10-2024, 01:08 PM

Zinchenko, a few moments earlier, went on another aimless run, and overran the ball, exposing us to a counter attack. His momentum took him right onto the player he gave the ball to and he had the perfect opportunity to block him and prevent the counter. He didn't.

Why is Tommy third choice left back? I was hoping we'd see him start.

IUFG
04-10-2024, 01:09 PM
TP5 was horrendous! Let's hope we don't have to rely on him at any point during the run-in.)

His was merely a cameo of mediocraty.

IUFG
04-10-2024, 01:12 PM

I thought Zinny did alright when he came on.

He does go on these runs up his own backside on occasion leaving his position untended, but he was still better than Kiwior was.

Peter
04-10-2024, 01:32 PM
Why is Tommy third choice left back? I was hoping we'd see him start.

All three of them offer something different. Kiwior is effectively a third centre back allowing White to invert if required. Zinchenko is an inverted full back who can't defend but is technically adept at giving the ball away further up the pitch. Tomiyasu is arguably a better full back than either of them but is not as good at either playing the inverted role or covering it.

And Timber will likely be picked ahead of all three next season :-)

redgunamo
04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
All three of them offer something different. Kiwior is effectively a third centre back allowing White to invert if required. Zinchenko is an inverted full back who can't defend but is technically adept at giving the ball away further up the pitch. Tomiyasu is arguably a better full back than either of them but is not as good at either playing the inverted role or covering it.

And Timber will likely be picked ahead of all three next season :-)

lol. It's great to have a SQUAD!

Chief Arrowhead
04-10-2024, 02:15 PM

In the PL that would have been a straight red Gabriel for recklessly clattering into Kane's elbow with his neck.

Peter
04-10-2024, 02:17 PM
lol. It's great to have a SQUAD!

Indeed. Arteta said he wanted flexibility and now we have it. It just took us a while to learn how to use it.

pjlincs
04-10-2024, 03:26 PM
And Timber will likely be picked ahead of all three next season :-)[/QUOTE]

True dat :D