PDA

View Full Version : Decent point that.

7sisters
03-31-2024, 05:36 PM
Possibly showed them a bit too much respect at times but not many sides go there and win.
4pts from them and the Scousers eh ? :)

Peter
03-31-2024, 05:42 PM
Possibly showed them a bit too much respect at times but not many sides go there and win.

Very happy with that. Great illustration of our progress this season. We didn't flood the press and fall into their trap like last year and the back four were outstanding. Tried to be more aggressive early in the second half and it almost worked a few times.

Very little threat for much of the game but it is just so difficult to interrupt the way City control a game.

Great point :-)

Sir C
03-31-2024, 06:18 PM

Absolutely right.

But… remember 98 when we went to OT and beat them?

That’s how titles are won.

redgunamo
03-31-2024, 06:41 PM
Absolutely right.

But… remember 98 when we went to OT and beat them?

That’s how titles are won.

Bergkamp, Anelka and Overmars :-\

redgunamo
03-31-2024, 06:43 PM
Very happy with that. Great illustration of our progress this season. We didn't flood the press and fall into their trap like last year and the back four were outstanding. Tried to be more aggressive early in the second half and it almost worked a few times.

Very little threat for much of the game but it is just so difficult to interrupt the way City control a game.

Great point :-)

Yes. Spot on.

John Bunnell
04-01-2024, 05:22 AM
Considering City's record at home we did well... But we really needed a win. Reckon Liverpool have got this league in the bag.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-01-2024, 07:30 AM
Considering City's record at home we did well... But we really needed a win. Reckon Liverpool have got this league in the bag.

will soon start to fade because they know he’s off at the end of season. They will subliminally become less inclined to run through walls for the toothsome German.

7sisters
04-01-2024, 10:21 AM
will soon start to fade because they know he’s off at the end of season. They will subliminally become less inclined to run through walls for the toothsome German.

They’re also a shade below both ourselves and City in terms of quality. Those Thursday night Euro fixtures won’t help either

Chief Arrowhead
04-01-2024, 01:47 PM

To put it in table terms for the three contenders:

CLUB GP W D L PTS

Arsenal 4 2 2 0 8
Man City 4 0 3 1 3
Liverpool 4 0 3 1 3

One can't help but look at the new year results. If they had just been around average that 5 point lead seen here would also be in the league table.

7sisters
04-01-2024, 02:55 PM
To put it in table terms for the three contenders:

CLUB GP W D L PTS

Arsenal 4 2 2 0 8
Man City 4 0 3 1 3
Liverpool 4 0 3 1 3

One can't help but look at the new year results. If they had just been around average that 5 point lead seen here would also be in the league table.

Let’s hope the title doesn’t hinge on those fraudulent 3pts that Liverpool mugged from Forest.

PSRB
04-02-2024, 07:27 AM

Trossard :furious: That was such a simple pass!!

Luis Anaconda
04-02-2024, 08:54 AM
Trossard :furious: That was such a simple pass!!

I really don't think it was - easy to see on TV but completely different on the pitch

PSRB
04-02-2024, 09:10 AM
I really don't think it was - easy to see on TV but completely different on the pitch

He had time to look up and see it as soon as the through ball was played. I also assume Martinelli was screaming at him to cross it.

Pat Vegas
04-02-2024, 09:12 AM
happy with the result Getting a point there is good. I think I prefer chasing than being in the lead in the league. Liverpool will definitely drop points.

Its definitely not over.
most promising is that we have clearly changed as a team in these games. Now it's time to win something.

Luis Anaconda
04-02-2024, 10:03 AM
He had time to look up and see it as soon as the through ball was played. I also assume Martinelli was screaming at him to cross it.

He's running at full pelt - I dispute that he had time to look. Of course, a Bergkamp or an Henry would have been able to pull it off but that's a fairly high level. Actually just watched it again and Havertz was actually the pass he could/should have made

PSRB
04-02-2024, 10:31 AM
He's running at full pelt - I dispute that he had time to look. Of course, a Bergkamp or an Henry would have been able to pull it off but that's a fairly high level. Actually just watched it again and Havertz was actually the pass he could/should have made

So we're in agreement that he should have passed it? ;-)

Luis Anaconda
04-02-2024, 10:46 AM
So we're in agreement that he should have passed it? ;-)

Of course, or scored ...

7sisters
04-02-2024, 11:01 AM
Of course, or scored ...

Surely it was Jesus who should have scored, or at least done better.
I like what he brings in terms of trickery and shrugging off defenders but finishing is becoming a problem.
Interested to see how Arteta incorporates him in the side next season, where, presumably, we’ll have another striker.

Luis Anaconda
04-02-2024, 11:21 AM
Surely it was Jesus who should have scored, or at least done better.
I like what he brings in terms of trickery and shrugging off defenders but finishing is becoming a problem.
Interested to see how Arteta incorporates him in the side next season, where, presumably, we’ll have another striker.
Indeed - I love his attitude and strength but at the moment he has already ceded the 9 spot to Havertz and isn't first choice in either of the wide positions. Excellent player to have around but not quite first choice

Pat Vegas
04-02-2024, 11:51 AM
Indeed - I love his attitude and strength but at the moment he has already ceded the 9 spot to Havertz and isn't first choice in either of the wide positions. Excellent player to have around but not quite first choice
I'd use him as a backup to Martinelli. Haven't fully given up on him yet, If we are to mount more of a challenge in more competitions next year he'll be very useful to rotate. as long as he is happy to do that.
We need similar cover for Saka and wouldn't mind a striker to compete with Havertz. I like Havertz.

Eddie is clearly no longer part of Arteta's plans.

Peter
04-02-2024, 11:55 AM

To Martinelli. He hadn't been the field long.

IUFG
04-02-2024, 12:10 PM

Now, I quite like young Eddie, but he should never have been part of anyone's plans...

Pat Vegas
04-02-2024, 12:16 PM
Now, I quite like young Eddie, but he should never have been part of anyone's plans...

:-) 10 characters

PSRB
04-02-2024, 12:19 PM

I suspect that he, Nelson and possibly ESR will be off in the summer. I hope ESR gets one more season as I'm convinced he's a cracking player.

Pat Vegas
04-02-2024, 12:26 PM
I suspect that he, Nelson and possibly ESR will be off in the summer. I hope ESR gets one more season as I'm convinced he's a cracking player.

maybe sell Eddie and Reiss, ESR i wouldn't mind a loan.
though ESR will be 24 in the summer, he needs to be playing.

IUFG
04-02-2024, 12:29 PM

Something has gone on between ESR and Arteta imo. ESR was a starter - he was given Dennis' shirt, for goodness; sake - yet, no longer gets a sniff. If we could get £20-£25m for him, that woud do

PSRB
04-02-2024, 12:31 PM
Something has gone on between ESR and Arteta imo. ESR was a starter - he was given Dennis' shirt, for goodness; sake - yet, no longer gets a sniff. If we could get £20-£25m for him, that woud do

I think he's just had a lot of niggly injuries and also the player that he needs to dislodge to start, happens to be the captain and one of our best players.

Peter
04-02-2024, 12:32 PM

Of Arteta's plans. It may be about style as much as anything else. I don't think smith rowe is as quick in the press as arteta would like.

Pat Vegas
04-02-2024, 12:39 PM

he looks overweight to me. has a doublechin.
though that shouldn't stop him, Jesus looks off balance most of the time.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-02-2024, 01:39 PM
I'd use him as a backup to Martinelli. Haven't fully given up on him yet, If we are to mount more of a challenge in more competitions next year he'll be very useful to rotate. as long as he is happy to do that.
We need similar cover for Saka and wouldn't mind a striker to compete with Havertz. I like Havertz.

Thing is, we have Leo who can cover Gabby M on the left, as could a fit and in form ESR. {And both could play as a false 9, with Kai at inside left and be able to switch positions with him as Leo was doing rather well after Jesus got injured.} It's having top quality cover for B that we lack.

MA said last season that ESR could play any of the front five positions other than right wing. Apparently they were looking at Fabio playing there as well as covering for Ødin, and while I could see him linking up with BW4 and the skipper, I just can't see him scoring as many as B. Would love to see RN24 score another stunning dying embers winner during the run in.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-02-2024, 01:40 PM

Ditto. {10 """""s}