PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of hotels, what are everyone's favourite hotels in London?

Pat Vegas
03-21-2024, 03:40 PM
On a slightly different an interesting one opening in Crouch End (though serviced apartments). middle of this year.

Luis Anaconda
03-21-2024, 04:32 PM
On a slightly different an interesting one opening in Crouch End (though serviced apartments). middle of this year.
I stayed in Great Scotland Yard before Christmas - that was nice. The cocktail bar was excellent. Wanted to try out the OWO round the corner on Whitehall but my boss bagged the freebie for there. On a more reasonable level (ie ones I can actually afford to pay for) I quite like the Thistle hotels (one in Barbican is a good location) and love the Z Hotels as well - basic but very comfortable, and normally lovely people working there. Used the one on City Road a few time - again also a great location.

Chief Arrowhead
03-21-2024, 04:52 PM
I stayed in Great Scotland Yard before Christmas - that was nice. The cocktail bar was excellent. Wanted to try out the OWO round the corner on Whitehall but my boss bagged the freebie for there. On a more reasonable level (ie ones I can actually afford to pay for) I quite like the Thistle hotels (one in Barbican is a good location) and love the Z Hotels as well - basic but very comfortable, and normally lovely people working there. Used the one on City Road a few time - again also a great location.

Heh, makes me recall a bit of AWIMB antiquity, the OXO tower. A review:

"When my boyfriend told me he wanted to take me up the Oxo Tower for my birthday, I was a bit hesitant at first because I didn't really think it was my scene. How wrong I was! I mean, yeah, so it's a bit of a strain on the old back pocket, and I admit I did feel a bit uncomfortable initially. But a couple of cocktails helped me relax and soon I was really getting into it - we carried on well into the night. It was a great experience and I really loved it - so much so that I won't let my boyfriend take me anywhere else now! So if anyone ever wants to take you up the Oxo Tower, just throw caution to the wind and go for it!"

Rachel

7sisters
03-21-2024, 04:55 PM

I stayed at the W in Leicester Square a couple of times. A bit poncey, silver globes everywhere, bit too modern for me.
I do recall the bar was absolutely crawling with top totty at the time. If i’d been 25 years younger and all that stuff…

Luis Anaconda
03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
I stayed at the W in Leicester Square a couple of times. A bit poncey, silver globes everywhere, bit too modern for me.
I do recall the bar was absolutely crawling with top totty at the time. If i’d been 25 years younger and all that stuff…

Bit too central for me - but I can imagine the views were nice

Luis Anaconda
03-21-2024, 05:04 PM
Heh, makes me recall a bit of AWIMB antiquity, the OXO tower. A review:

"When my boyfriend told me he wanted to take me up the Oxo Tower for my birthday, I was a bit hesitant at first because I didn't really think it was my scene. How wrong I was! I mean, yeah, so it's a bit of a strain on the old back pocket, and I admit I did feel a bit uncomfortable initially. But a couple of cocktails helped me relax and soon I was really getting into it - we carried on well into the night. It was a great experience and I really loved it - so much so that I won't let my boyfriend take me anywhere else now! So if anyone ever wants to take you up the Oxo Tower, just throw caution to the wind and go for it!"

Rachel

A classic chief

Peter
03-21-2024, 05:16 PM

I can't remember ever staying in a hotel in London. Never been a need.

7sisters
03-21-2024, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=Pat Vegas;4276582]On a slightly different an interesting one opening in Crouch End (though serviced apartments). middle of this year.[/QUOTE

Stayed at Ham Yard when it opened, the Grosvenor, Dorchester, many times following an annual industry bashes. The Hampshire, in a room with a very nice 4 poster that overlooked Leicester Square but I still have a soft spot for The Langham. :)

PSRB
03-22-2024, 08:37 AM

I always liked The Rathbone. Very comfy beds and great location.

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2024, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Pat Vegas;4276582]On a slightly different an interesting one opening in Crouch End (though serviced apartments). middle of this year.[/QUOTE

Stayed at Ham Yard when it opened, the Grosvenor, Dorchester, many times following an annual industry bashes. The Hampshire, in a room with a very nice 4 poster that overlooked Leicester Square but I still have a soft spot for The Langham. :)

Ham Yard is one that has caught my eye - must try it

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2024, 09:48 AM
I always liked The Rathbone. Very comfy beds and great location.

Fairly sure I have been to the bar there. You might be surprised...

Charlotte Street Hotel is also nice - never stayed there but had a big screening room where I went a few times. Actually think I might have seen the preview of Anchorman there. Great nibbles as well pre-screening. I said nibbles

PSRB
03-22-2024, 09:59 AM
Fairly sure I have been to the bar there. You might be surprised...

Charlotte Street Hotel is also nice - never stayed there but had a big screening room where I went a few times. Actually think I might have seen the preview of Anchorman there. Great nibbles as well pre-screening. I said nibbles

Used to meet my dealer in Charlotte Street Hotel....she was also a dominatrix, better never went there. The bar at Rathbone is very nice, great selection of single malts

Sir C
03-22-2024, 10:26 AM

To stay: The Savoy
To drink: Claridges or The Connaught
To dine: The Ritz

Tackiest, most chavtastic: The Dorchester

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2024, 11:16 AM

Certainly agree about the Dorchester - although I did once meet Anna Friel there :love:

Sir C
03-22-2024, 11:27 AM
Certainly agree about the Dorchester - although I did once meet Anna Friel there :love:

I thought she was a lesbonian la?

I've had a couple of memorable meals in China Tang at The Dorchester, but the rest of it is squalid.

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2024, 11:33 AM
I thought she was a lesbonian la?

I've had a couple of memorable meals in China Tang at The Dorchester, but the rest of it is squalid.

All women are to some degree tbf

Anyway, back in five

Pat Vegas
03-22-2024, 12:52 PM

I like the Lobby of the Savoy and the dining etc. but the rooms are not to my taste.

Quite like the Carlton Tower