PDA

View Full Version : IstanbulWimb

Pat Vegas
03-21-2024, 11:13 AM
I need to go on a work trip. Need to book a hotel what do you recommend?

Although I should know really.

Luis Anaconda
03-21-2024, 11:35 AM

https://www.peninsula.com/en/istanbul/special-offers/rooms/luxury-in-advance?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwte-vBhBFEiwAQSv_xb3TrzJ6KPvHlILT-eMRbcKThNv3vOAF_lIX7KfJjbeN-in3lF9-vxoC3A0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Pat Vegas
03-21-2024, 11:43 AM
https://www.peninsula.com/en/istanbul/special-offers/rooms/luxury-in-advance?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwte-vBhBFEiwAQSv_xb3TrzJ6KPvHlILT-eMRbcKThNv3vOAF_lIX7KfJjbeN-in3lF9-vxoC3A0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks LA. I think this is the one to pick :)

Luis Anaconda
03-21-2024, 11:46 AM
Thanks LA. I think this is the one to pick :)

Was supposed to stay there last year - on my way some resort on the coast but the whole earthquake thing scuppered that

also if you want some dining tips

https://www.departures-international.com/travel/destinations/europe/turkey/bite-by-bite-in-istanbul?json=true

Peter
03-21-2024, 11:52 AM

Just book the best one. :-)

Pat Vegas
03-21-2024, 11:52 AM
Was supposed to stay there last year - on my way some resort on the coast but the whole earthquake thing scuppered that

also if you want some dining tips

https://www.departures-international.com/travel/destinations/europe/turkey/bite-by-bite-in-istanbul?json=true

I have never been. I was wondering if I can actually get a kebab or a haircut there or they don't actually do that sort of thing in Turkey. :-)

redgunamo
03-21-2024, 11:54 AM
I have never been. I was wondering if I can actually get a kebab or a haircut there or they don't actually do that sort of thing in Turkey. :-)

:-( There's more to Turkey then kebabs and haircuts.

Pat Vegas
03-21-2024, 11:58 AM

will I have time to get new teeth?

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-21-2024, 12:05 PM

That looks plush. How much does it cost?

Can you get any fleapits for a few dollars a night there?

When I first stayed in Delhi {'94-5} I paid a quid a night. Communal bog which was just a hole in the ground. In '96, I found one off the main drag opposite the huge, minging rubbish dump for 60p a night. That was my fourth hotel after getting chucked out of the previous three on the trot since we'd got up from Goa.

The second one was up some stairs where the rooms were around an open-air space. We had the room behind the managers desk. Tried to switch the fan on. Didn't work. My {now late} mate punched the box on the wall with the fan switch and two plastic parcels fell out and the fan started working. Manager came in and asked what was going on. My mate puts his foot over the two finger sized parcels and says no problem, fan working now.

When he was gone, we opened them up and saw white powder. I thought it'd be smack, so I got some foil and tried to smoke, but it ran too fast to be white smack. My mate said what else would it be? I said I dunno, but my mouth is going numb. I think it's coke. He said you wouldn't get coke in Delhi. I said I reckon it is, so give me fifty rupes, I'm gonna get some ammonia and wash it up into freebase crack.

Had a great night. Over 10g in there which we shared with a couple of people we'd never met in another room but we found we had a mate in common with back in London. At the end of the night, we did a line of K to come down and sleep but the candle was left on and we were woken with the room on fire and the manager and police coming in. Thank Ganpati, they didn't find the K we had but got told to leave the next morning. Chucked out of two hotels in two days. The third, we lasted about 2-3 weeks before they chucked me out and I had to go to the flea pit by the rubbish dump.

But nowadays, you can't get a hotel for under a tenner. It's a disgrace. It's great that India's getting richer, but it was much more fun when that bit of Delhi was full of western druggies living in quid-a-night rooms, with no cars, just pedestrians, cycle rickshaws and cows in the Main Bazaar. Used to share my 3am omelette sarnie with this gorgeous brown cow who slept nearby.

Bet your hotel costs more. But do you have cows outside and very high purity coke hidden in the fan switch box?

Luis Anaconda
03-21-2024, 12:10 PM

When I first stayed in Delhi {'94-5} I paid a quid a night. Communal bog which was just a hole in the ground. In '96, I found one off the main drag opposite the huge, minging rubbish dump for 60p a night. That was my fourth hotel after getting chucked out of the previous three on the trot since we'd got up from Goa.

The second one was up some stairs where the rooms were around an open-air space. We had the room behind the managers desk. Tried to switch the fan on. Didn't work. My {now late} mate punched the box on the wall with the fan switch and two plastic parcels fell out and the fan started working. Manager came in and asked what was going on. My mate puts his foot over the two finger sized parcels and says no problem, fan working now.

When he was gone, we opened them up and saw white powder. I thought it'd be smack, so I got some foil and tried to smoke, but it ran too fast to be white smack. My mate said what else would it be? I said I dunno, but my mouth is going numb. I think it's coke. He said you wouldn't get coke in Delhi. I said I reckon it is, so give me fifty rupes, I'm gonna get some ammonia and wash it up into freebase crack.

Had a great night. Over 10g in there which we shared with a couple of people we'd never met in another room but we found we had a mate in common with back in London. At the end of the night, we did a line of K to come down and sleep but the candle was left on and we were woken with the room on fire and the manager and police coming in. Thank Ganpati, they didn't find the K we had but got told to leave the next morning. Chucked out of two hotels in two days. The third, we lasted about 2-3 weeks before they chucked me out and I had to go to the flea pit by the rubbish dump.

But nowadays, you can't get a hotel for under a tenner. It's a disgrace. It's great that India's getting richer, but it was much more fun when that bit of Delhi was full of western druggies living in quid-a-night rooms, with no cars, just pedestrians, cycle rickshaws and cows in the Main Bazaar. Used to share my 3am omelette sarnie with this gorgeous brown cow who slept nearby.

Bet your hotel costs more. But do you have cows outside and very high purity coke hidden in the fan switch box?

In the sort of places I stay these days (through work), if one has to ask the price, one isn't fit to stay there

Peter
03-21-2024, 12:22 PM
In the sort of places I stay these days (through work), if one has to ask the price, one isn't fit to stay there

Unless one is paying the bill, the price is none of one's concern :-)

Peter
03-21-2024, 12:24 PM

The kebabs aren't great. Much better in London :-)

I wouldn't know about haircuts.

I've been to Turkey twice. Thought it was a bit ****.

Peter
03-21-2024, 12:26 PM

I took an executive suite in the Shangri-La in Delhi. It was acceptable for my needs. Food wasn't great.

Peter
03-21-2024, 12:33 PM

I would stay here

https://www.shangri-la.com/en/istanbul/shangrila/

When in doubt, always choose a Shangri-La :-)

03-21-2024, 01:35 PM

Oooohh, they must be well nice. Do you get airmile style points that you can use on your own, not with work?

Never stayed in a plush hotel. But in Delhi {and before, when I used to travel to Goa via Mumbai, so would get to Mumbai in the early morning then get the bus or train in the afternoon/evening} I sometimes treated myself {ourselves when together} to the plush breakfasts in the Taj in Mumbai or Imperial in Delhi.

Well worth the treat, especially if you haven't been eating much due to having the ****s {and/or being off your head.}

Do you get top quality breakfasts in these fancy hotels?

Eggs cooked to order and fry up bits. As many lassis, chais and coffees as I wanted. Cheese and meats. Fruit {though only the Taj in Delhi had strawberries.} Lush.

We became mates with a waiter in the Taj called Mohan. That's why I was especially ****ed off when the Pak-backed terrorists attacked the gaff when they hit a few places around there at the same time.

All the other customers were rich {Indian or western} so would look down at the staff. But we'd just happily chat away with Mohan, the glw always looking relatively chic but me always crusty.} We went in for supper one early evening before the Delhi train. Had a bottle of Chablis. Heaven. Looked at the time and asked him if we got another bottle and had a glass each, could we take the rest of the bottle with us? He said of course.

When we asked for the bill, he said what about puddings cos they're included. I said we didn't have time, so he said he'd give us a takeout. Showed us the list. I said I'd have a slice of the chocolate cake. Glw said the fruit salad. Mohan asked which fruits she liked most. Glw said strawbs, would be happy just to have those. So he came back with the bottle and two plastic boxes. Min had about a dozen slices of cake, when it's meant to be one. Hers was rammed with more than a kilo of strawbs. Tucking into all that on the train before we got into the top bunks to sleep.

03-21-2024, 01:48 PM
I took an executive suite in the Shangri-La in Delhi. It was acceptable for my needs. Food wasn't great.

Hadn't heard of that. Just looked, it's on Janpath. The one I use, the Imperial, is also on Janpath, but halfway between yours and CP.

Have a look. Yours is modern. Mine is from the days of the Raj:

https://theimperialindia.com/

Maybe try there? Might be older but will be classier. My waiters have these fancy uniforms with massive headdresses. They look tops. Will bring me a copy of the Times of India to read while I munch and don't mind me doing drugs in the bogs.

There's a Taj in Delhi, but apparently the plushest back in the day was the Oberoi.

We went there for lunch once, but got thrown out for breaking into the spa after munching and having a shag in the pool. We had to run down the driveway and jump into an autorickshaw shouting "Chello. Geldi. Abi. " {Go. Fast. Now.}

Only time I've ever had to do a getaway. Dunno if we paid.

Peter
03-21-2024, 02:03 PM
Hadn't heard of that. Just looked, it's on Janpath. The one I use, the Imperial, is also on Janpath, but halfway between yours and CP.

Maybe try there? Might be older but will be classier. My waiters have these fancy uniforms with massive headdresses. They look tops. Will bring me a copy of the Times of India to read while I munch and don't mind me doing drugs in the bogs.

There's a Taj in Delhi, but apparently the plushest back in the day was the Oberoi.

We went there for lunch once, but got thrown out for breaking into the spa after munching and having a shag in the pool. We had to run down the driveway and jump into an autorickshaw shouting "Chello. Geldi. Abi. " {Go. Fast. Now.}

I don't go to India very often these days. I used the Shangri-La because I always use them.

It's different when you are there for work. I'm busy from the minute I land so I just want convenience and help when I need it. The Shangri La always treat me like a king because I'm the lead name on our corporate account with them. I used to get them to go out and get me fags :-)

Luis Anaconda
03-21-2024, 02:07 PM
Oooohh, they must be well nice. Do you get airmile style points that you can use on your own, not with work?

Never stayed in a plush hotel. But in Delhi {and before, when I used to travel to Goa via Mumbai, so would get to Mumbai in the early morning then get the bus or train in the afternoon/evening} I sometimes treated myself {ourselves when together} to the plush breakfasts in the Taj in Mumbai or Imperial in Delhi.

Well worth the treat, especially if you haven't been eating much due to having the ****s {and/or being off your head.}

Do you get top quality breakfasts in these fancy hotels?

Eggs cooked to order and fry up bits. As many lassis, chais and coffees as I wanted. Cheese and meats. Fruit {though only the Taj in Delhi had strawberries.} Lush.

We became mates with a waiter in the Taj called Mohan. That's why I was especially ****ed off when the Pak-backed terrorists attacked the gaff when they hit a few places around there at the same time.

All the other customers were rich {Indian or western} so would look down at the staff. But we'd just happily chat away with Mohan, the glw always looking relatively chic but me always crusty.} We went in for supper one early evening before the Delhi train. Had a bottle of Chablis. Heaven. Looked at the time and asked him if we got another bottle and had a glass each, could we take the rest of the bottle with us? He said of course.

When we asked for the bill, he said what about puddings cos they're included. I said we didn't have time, so he said he'd give us a takeout. Showed us the list. I said I'd have a slice of the chocolate cake. Glw said the fruit salad. Mohan asked which fruits she liked most. Glw said strawbs, would be happy just to have those. So he came back with the bottle and two plastic boxes. Min had about a dozen slices of cake, when it's meant to be one. Hers was rammed with more than a kilo of strawbs. Tucking into all that on the train before we got into the top bunks to sleep.

Breakfast are always the best thing as you get to order what you want (and I normally want two poached eggs, bacon and toast). The annoying thing is dinner, when, the chef will always give you what he wants to show off. Always best to get to know the sommelier so the wine keeps flowing in those occasions. Don't get air miles but did fly Etihad Business class recently. My next flight on easyJet will be a shock

Sir C
03-21-2024, 02:53 PM

I have enjoyed several stays at the Imperial. Highly recommended.

Peter
03-21-2024, 03:00 PM

It does look rather pleasant.

03-21-2024, 03:03 PM
Breakfast are always the best thing as you get to order what you want (and I normally want two poached eggs, bacon and toast). The annoying thing is dinner, when, the chef will always give you what he wants to show off. Always best to get to know the sommelier so the wine keeps flowing in those occasions. Don't get air miles but did fly Etihad Business class recently. My next flight on easyJet will be a shock

Yeah, in India they have a chap just for the eggs. And as I said to Peter, the uniforms in Delhi with these giant turbans with feathers in look great on your waiters and egg-wallah.

But if you're gonna have poached eggs then why not Eggs Benedict? The glw makes the best oes ever on muffins with ham and Hollandaise. Must try to learn how to make my own sauce at some point.

I once got upgraded to business on Emirates for the Dubai-London leg. But these were the days before sleeper-beds.

My missus was in India when Covid hit. After a month, HMG arranged repatriation flights. There were 2 from Delhi. She was actually in Jaipur, 56-6 hrs from Delhi, but we gave the address of our mate's hotel in Delhi and just prayed that she'd be able to make it in time if selected. {They allocated the seats on a needs basis.}

She wasn't selected for the first flight but on Easter Saturday, got the email saying to get to IGI airport in Delhi by X o'clock that night. Had to get police to take her to hospital to get a test and get the paperwork so she could get a taxi.

She got there in time but called me to say that check-in said she wasn't on the list. I was freaking out thinking she'd be stuck there, but she said there were 7 other people who also had the email but the system couldn't find.

A bit later she calls to say that all 8 of them weren't showing up because they were the very last people to be selected and they were in first class. {No extra cost to the £580 everyone had to pay just to be on the list of people applying. You got the money back if you weren't selected.}

So she flew back on a sleeper-bed on Virgin Upper Class.

We flew Areoflot first class a couple of times. A cheap flight back then {'99} was £300. We'd flown into Mumbai to go south to Goa on Saudi. {£600 cos it was just after Xmas and everything was sold out.} After going back and dropping her dad off, we went to Delhi and the mountains. Back on Delhi, we couldn't face going to Mumbai and flying on Saudi with no booze so asked a travel agent we knew. He said they had a special - if you bought the return from India, it was £450 business class.

We did that and it was great. So when we next went back, I had to buy another flight back to London and our mate in Delhi said you can go first for £550 if you want, so we did that.

You had unlimited Veuve Clicquot bubbly in first. When we went back the next time, I went a week before the glw. On the Mos-Del leg, there was just me and some oligarch gangster in first. We get into our seats and the lady asks if I'd like a drink. Veuve Clic, please. Oh, sorry, you can't have booze until we're airborne, just water or orange juice for now. That's ok, I say, just bring us a glass of VCP as soon as you're allowed.

She gives the gangster his orange juice and then, putting her finger to her lips, gives me a glass of champers. I loved them.

So getting the return from Delhi, it was £200 more in first than in economy from London. £100 each way. VCP back then was £25 a bottle. And I managed 1 bottle on the Lon-Mos leg and 3 on Mos-Del. So those 4 bottles were basically the extra £100 I'd paid, and I could thus consider all the other bits like the lounge and huge seats freebies.

Did you have a bed when you flew ManCity business?

Luis Anaconda
03-21-2024, 03:18 PM
Yeah, in India they have a chap just for the eggs. And as I said to Peter, the uniforms in Delhi with these giant turbans with feathers in look great on your waiters and egg-wallah.

But if you're gonna have poached eggs then why not Eggs Benedict? The glw makes the best oes ever on muffins with ham and Hollandaise. Must try to learn how to make my own sauce at some point.

I once got upgraded to business on Emirates for the Dubai-London leg. But these were the days before sleeper-beds.

My missus was in India when Covid hit. After a month, HMG arranged repatriation flights. There were 2 from Delhi. She was actually in Jaipur, 56-6 hrs from Delhi, but we gave the address of our mate's hotel in Delhi and just prayed that she'd be able to make it in time if selected. {They allocated the seats on a needs basis.}

She wasn't selected for the first flight but on Easter Saturday, got the email saying to get to IGI airport in Delhi by X o'clock that night. Had to get police to take her to hospital to get a test and get the paperwork so she could get a taxi.

She got there in time but called me to say that check-in said she wasn't on the list. I was freaking out thinking she'd be stuck there, but she said there were 7 other people who also had the email but the system couldn't find.

A bit later she calls to say that all 8 of them weren't showing up because they were the very last people to be selected and they were in first class. {No extra cost to the £580 everyone had to pay just to be on the list of people applying. You got the money back if you weren't selected.}

So she flew back on a sleeper-bed on Virgin Upper Class.

We flew Areoflot first class a couple of times. A cheap flight back then {'99} was £300. We'd flown into Mumbai to go south to Goa on Saudi. {£600 cos it was just after Xmas and everything was sold out.} After going back and dropping her dad off, we went to Delhi and the mountains. Back on Delhi, we couldn't face going to Mumbai and flying on Saudi with no booze so asked a travel agent we knew. He said they had a special - if you bought the return from India, it was £450 business class.

We did that and it was great. So when we next went back, I had to buy another flight back to London and our mate in Delhi said you can go first for £550 if you want, so we did that.

You had unlimited Veuve Clicquot bubbly in first. When we went back the next time, I went a week before the glw. On the Mos-Del leg, there was just me and some oligarch gangster in first. We get into our seats and the lady asks if I'd like a drink. Veuve Clic, please. Oh, sorry, you can't have booze until we're airborne, just water or orange juice for now. That's ok, I say, just bring us a glass of VCP as soon as you're allowed.

She gives the gangster his orange juice and then, putting her finger to her lips, gives me a glass of champers. I loved them.

So getting the return from Delhi, it was £200 more in first than in economy from London. £100 each way. VCP back then was £25 a bottle. And I managed 1 bottle on the Lon-Mos leg and 3 on Mos-Del. So those 4 bottles were basically the extra £100 I'd paid, and I could thus consider all the other bits like the lounge and huge seats freebies.

Did you have a bed when you flew ManCity business?

I don't like Hollandaise sauce, gg

and no I didn't have a bed - flights were too short anwway (first leg 5 hours, second leg 4) but it was sickening to be in Abu Dhabi airport and see massive pictures of Haaland everywhere.

Hopefully going to Oz in the winter so have to scram some decent flights (sadly a year too early for the Ashes - should have been perfect timing)

03-21-2024, 07:46 PM

Good man, C. The uniforms are tops, aren't they? And lovely people there. I only get an auto-rickshaw from Main Bazaar so we're not allowed to drive from the road to the entrance inside the gardens. I have to walk. But despite turning up on foot, with a skinhead and culottes and a grotty tee-shirt, they always salute me and treat me like a gent. As I say, lovely people.

JAI HIND.

03-21-2024, 07:47 PM
It does look rather pleasant.

The irony of you taking 5* hotel recommendations from a crusty.

Peter
03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
The irony of you taking 5* hotel recommendations from a crusty.

Oh, I wouldn't stay there myself.

I would stay at the Shang. They'd be angry if I didn't :-)

When I want traditional I use the E&O in Penang.

03-21-2024, 07:51 PM
I don't like Hollandaise sauce, gg

and no I didn't have a bed - flights were too short anwway (first leg 5 hours, second leg 4) but it was sickening to be in Abu Dhabi airport and see massive pictures of Haaland everywhere.

Hopefully going to Oz in the winter so have to scram some decent flights (sadly a year too early for the Ashes - should have been perfect timing)

Gutted you're not going to the Ashes. You went when we last won after leaving The Times, I seem to remember. We should have a whip round. You're a lucky charm.

I s'pose not liking Hollandaise is an excuse for having bacon instead of Benedict. Still think you should have muffins, though.

I flew Turkish Airlines once. For all the safety stuff at the beginning, they didn't have the hostesses pointing to the exits and pretending to fit an oxygen mask, they had a video on the back-seat screens showing the Man Utd "humorously" explaining it all. Refused to fly them ever again.

03-21-2024, 07:54 PM
Oh, I wouldn't stay there myself.

I would stay at the Shang. They'd be angry if I didn't :-)

When I want traditional I use the E&O in Penang.

You could still go to the Imperial for a munch, though. You could walk it - only 500m from the roundabout by yours. Lovely dining room. Old skool Raj stylee.

Pat Vegas
03-22-2024, 09:14 AM
Gutted you're not going to the Ashes. You went when we last won after leaving The Times, I seem to remember. We should have a whip round. You're a lucky charm.

I s'pose not liking Hollandaise is an excuse for having bacon instead of Benedict. Still think you should have muffins, though.

I flew Turkish Airlines once. For all the safety stuff at the beginning, they didn't have the hostesses pointing to the exits and pretending to fit an oxygen mask, they had a video on the back-seat screens showing the Man Utd "humorously" explaining it all. Refused to fly them ever again.

That's the new trend to have a gimmick safety video.
I quite like the Emirates or Qatar ones in arabic it's very relaxing.

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2024, 10:00 AM

Well, you are also from the days of the Raj

Peter
03-22-2024, 10:22 AM
You could still go to the Imperial for a munch, though. You could walk it - only 500m from the roundabout by yours. Lovely dining room. Old skool Raj stylee.

Wouldn't be the worst idea. I did get a horrible dose of food poisoning at the Shangri-La one night. Got pissed in the lounge and ate some meat. Never again! :-(

WES
03-22-2024, 10:26 AM
Wouldn't be the worst idea. I did get a horrible dose of food poisoning at the Shangri-La one night. Got pissed in the lounge and ate some meat. Never again! :-(

Surprised Peter, in my many trips to India (Banga and Mumbai only, sadly) I was only sick once and it was very mild, and it happened because I broke my India rules

1) other than water and biscuits eat only one meal per day
2) eat only cooked food
3) drink only bottled water and beer

Simples.

Luis Anaconda
03-22-2024, 11:15 AM
Surprised Peter, in my many trips to India (Banga and Mumbai only, sadly) I was only sick once and it was very mild, and it happened because I broke my India rules

2) eat only cooked food
3) drink only beer

Simples.

Corrected that last one for you

Sir C
03-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Good man, C. The uniforms are tops, aren't they? And lovely people there. I only get an auto-rickshaw from Main Bazaar so we're not allowed to drive from the road to the entrance inside the gardens. I have to walk. But despite turning up on foot, with a skinhead and culottes and a grotty tee-shirt, they always salute me and treat me like a gent. As I say, lovely people.

JAI HIND.

I like to take a stroll down to India Gate at dusk and watch the enormous bats going to roost.

Also, I rather enjoy the classical music playing under the water pool :hehe:

Once coming back through Delhi the Imperial was fully booked and I had to spend a night at the Taj Mahal, much to my annoyance. However, my mood was improved no end when I learnt that the Taj contains the finest chinese restaurant in India with the glorious name, 'Hose of Ming' :hehe:

Peter
03-22-2024, 12:34 PM

2) eat only cooked food

Simples.

With your rules, you would have got the same dose. It was the meat in the 'sliders'.

My rules were very simple- no meat or fish. Worked well on every trip, and was a disaster the one time I went rogue.

Sir C
03-22-2024, 02:07 PM
With your rules, you would have got the same dose. It was the meat in the 'sliders'.

My rules were very simple- no meat or fish. Worked well on every trip, and was a disaster the one time I went rogue.

The only serious Delhi belly I’ve ever had came from a dhal makhani :shrug:

Peter
03-22-2024, 02:35 PM

I love the dhals :-)

One of the reasons I never touch the meat is it is usually horrible anyway. The vegetable dishes are much better.

03-22-2024, 02:42 PM
That's the new trend to have a gimmick safety video.
I quite like the Emirates or Qatar ones in arabic it's very relaxing.

Saudi takes out the middle seats of the back 2 rows. There are curtains at the side of the aisle which you can pull closed. In the back of the middle seat is a screen showing where Mecca is in relation to which direction the plane is flying so they can pray in the right direction.

And when I tried to buy duty free at LHR, which we wanted to take to India, they looked at the boarding card and said no. When we arrived at Riyadh, they looked through all my Parvati's beauty products in case there was booze hidden inside, even though we were just in transit. Would never fly them again.

Oh, and in Brunei, on the way back from Manila, they don't have a bar. I asked why and they said it's cos it was a Muslim country. I said so is the UAE and Dubai's got a massive duty free shop and shît loads of bars.

03-22-2024, 02:45 PM

Wicked. If you go and enjoy it, think of Sir C and I and raise a glass to the Arsenal. You'll love the old skool Raj vibe. It appeals to both Tory gents like C and crusty Indiaheads like me.

03-22-2024, 02:48 PM

2) eat only cooked food

Simples.

You're right about the beer - Kingfisher Strong - but did you know that all bottled water in India comes the Delhi and Mumbai municipal supplies? If you're in Mumbai the water in your tap is the same as in your bottle.

On my first trip to India - 8-9 months in '94-5 - I got really bad shîts twice. Both times was when I came down from the clean air of the mountains to the heat and dirt of the plains. {Manali to Delhi, then Kathmandu to Benares/Varanasi.}

Peter
03-22-2024, 03:03 PM
Wicked. If you go and enjoy it, think of Sir C and I and raise a glass to the Arsenal. You'll love the old skool Raj vibe. It appeals to both Tory gents like C and crusty Indiaheads like me.

Have to be honest, I didn't particularly enjoy India and am in no rush to get back.

Partly because the work is so stressful out there, but it is also a bit much in general. Might be different if I actually took some time to relax there.

03-22-2024, 03:11 PM
I like to take a stroll down to India Gate at dusk and watch the enormous bats going to roost.

Also, I rather enjoy the classical music playing under the water pool :hehe:

Once coming back through Delhi the Imperial was fully booked and I had to spend a night at the Taj Mahal, much to my annoyance. However, my mood was improved no end when I learnt that the Taj contains the finest chinese restaurant in India with the glorious name, 'Hose of Ming' :hehe:

I don't really like Chinese food, but if you want to try something different, go to the Tibetan Colony - Majnu ka Tila - it's a collection of hotels and restaurants just off a main road. It's where all the monks stay when they're travelling to and from Dharamsala.

{It's about 10kms from CP, or less than 1km from the nearest metro nowadays.}

You can get lovely Tibetan food for very little money. I love momos, but there's also their thupka, a bowl of noodles in soup.

Oh, and last time we were there, every evening on a little path in the colony, there was a guy who put coals on the street and cooked skewers of meat on them. I think they may have been beef.

We used to take our street kid mates to India gate so they could mess about in those pools of water there, and buy ice creams.

But I always like to read some of the names of the Indians who heroically gave their lives to save us from fascism.

03-22-2024, 03:14 PM

Love a dhal makhani. The glw's been promising to make us one for ages. She does make the best normal dhal, though. It's the star anise that's the secret ingredient. And the fresh coriander on top. I fry some smoked pancetta cubes and stick them in and make sure I get all the fat from the pan in too, like a piggy ghee.

03-22-2024, 03:23 PM
Have to be honest, I didn't particularly enjoy India and am in no rush to get back.

Partly because the work is so stressful out there, but it is also a bit much in general. Might be different if I actually took some time to relax there.

Yeah, you need to go up the mountains to chill. Bathe in the holy waters in the Sikh Gurdwara in Manikaran - where Parvati lost her ear jewell {mani karan} until Shiva went and smoked chillums for 13k years and used his energy to summon up Seshnag, the Serpent God who kissed back Her jewel and that's why you have hot, hissing water everywhere. Oh, and it kept giving jewels, too.

Then you should go to Goa, pref off season, and chill in Anjuna, eating lush seafood.

Totally different vibe.

Peter
03-22-2024, 03:38 PM
Yeah, you need to go up the mountains to chill. Bathe in the holy waters in the Sikh Gurdwara in Manikaran - where Parvati lost her ear jewell {mani karan} until Shiva went and smoked chillums for 13k years and used his energy to summon up Seshnag, the Serpent God who kissed back Her jewel and that's why you have hot, hissing water everywhere. Oh, and it kept giving jewels, too.

Then you should go to Goa, pref off season, and chill in Anjuna, eating lush seafood.

Totally different vibe.

I've just remembered, I have to go to Kerala in June :-(

Sir C
03-22-2024, 04:14 PM
Love a dhal makhani. The glw's been promising to make us one for ages. She does make the best normal dhal, though. It's the star anise that's the secret ingredient. And the fresh coriander on top. I fry some smoked pancetta cubes and stick them in and make sure I get all the fat from the pan in too, like a piggy ghee.

The best dhal makhani comes from Punjabi By Nature at Gurgaon.

03-22-2024, 06:21 PM
I've just remembered, I have to go to Kerala in June :-(

Lucky you. Been there a few times. Going to Kovalam? Lovely seafood. Enjoy.

03-22-2024, 06:23 PM
The best dhal makhani comes from Punjabi By Nature at Gurgaon.

I've never been to the Delhi new towns, Gurgaon and Nodia. Dunno if I'd like them. They have shopping centres apparently. I know it's better for the Indians all getting richer but I'd rather the India I know and love. The mountains, Goa etc. Paharganj has been ruined since Sheila Dikshît widened it to make it easier for cars.

Sir C
03-22-2024, 06:46 PM
I've never been to the Delhi new towns, Gurgaon and Nodia. Dunno if I'd like them. They have shopping centres apparently. I know it's better for the Indians all getting richer but I'd rather the India I know and love. The mountains, Goa etc. Paharganj has been ruined since Sheila Dikshît widened it to make it easier for cars.

I’ve only been to Gurgaon at night but to be honest it looked just as much of ****pit as the rest of Delhi :hehe:

Pat Vegas
03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Peninsula booked. :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda
03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Peninsula booked. :cloud9:

Wise man - let me know how it is

Maravilloso Marvo
03-26-2024, 01:33 PM

Didn't you recommend it? Surely you'd know if you are recommending it...

And yes, I did call you Shirley.

03-26-2024, 02:22 PM
I’ve only been to Gurgaon at night but to be honest it looked just as much of ****pit as the rest of Delhi :hehe:

Oh, come on, C. Are you really saying a man like you can't appreciate the glory of Lutyens' New Delhi?

You have gone down in my estimation.

Next you'll be telling me there's nothing special about his WW1 cemeteries in Flanders or the Cenotaph itself.

You can't have the India Gate war memorial on a par with a Gurgaon shopping centre.

I have looked at Google photos and they don't seem to have any cows. What's the point in building a Delhi suburb and making it look like Croydon* and not even letting the cows in?

{*Would suit Berni given that's where he schooled.}

Pat Vegas
03-26-2024, 02:35 PM

Maybe to see if standards are being maintained? Maybe LA is the Hotel Inspector.

Speaking of which The Hotel Inspector could be a better show. She seems a flirty type. But unlike Kitchen nightmares nothing ever seems to improve. On the other hand Ramsay nicked the idea with Hotel Hell in the US. But I dislike any of the American Ramsay shows as everyone starts crying.

Hotel Inspector I feel it's an ok show that could be a great show.

Luis Anaconda
03-26-2024, 02:40 PM

On reputation alone, I must admit. I don't actually know anyone who has to pay to stay in this places, m

Maravilloso Marvo
03-26-2024, 04:18 PM
Maybe to see if standards are being maintained? Maybe LA is the Hotel Inspector.

Speaking of which The Hotel Inspector could be a better show. She seems a flirty type. But unlike Kitchen nightmares nothing ever seems to improve. On the other hand Ramsay nicked the idea with Hotel Hell in the US. But I dislike any of the American Ramsay shows as everyone starts crying.

Hotel Inspector I feel it's an ok show that could be a great show.

I had a friend a while back who had a secret crush on Alex Polizzi. It's a strange one but I could see where he was coming from...

You are right though, the show under delivers it potential.

Sir C
03-26-2024, 07:05 PM
Oh, come on, C. Are you really saying a man like you can't appreciate the glory of Lutyens' New Delhi?

You have gone down in my estimation.

Next you'll be telling me there's nothing special about his WW1 cemeteries in Flanders or the Cenotaph itself.

You can't have the India Gate war memorial on a par with a Gurgaon shopping centre.

I have looked at Google photos and they don't seem to have any cows. What's the point in building a Delhi suburb and making it look like Croydon* and not even letting the cows in?

{*Would suit Berni given that's where he schooled.}

Lutyens’ New Delhi is hardly representative of Delhi as a whole, is it?

03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Lutyens’ New Delhi is hardly representative of Delhi as a whole, is it?

It's fairly representative of New Delhi as a whole, given he built it.

{And me and my native crew are all proud New Delhi boys. When you get an auto-rickshaw, once you get to old Delhi they moan like they've gone south of the river but worse. They think Old Delhiites a bit untermenscheny.}

My point is that I'm fairly sure that neither Gurgaon nor Nodia have anything remotely as beautiful as the most boring bit of Lutyens.

I've stayed in the Tibetan Colony a few times, and used to have to go to near the Red Fort/Chandi Chowk for 2-3 hours on business every trip. But the rest of the time I've been in New Delhi. That to me is Delhi.

Think Centre Ville vs the Banlieus in Paris, C. 20 arrondissements with a lot of Haussman, and then vast suburban slums full of chavs and grafitti.

Pat Vegas
04-22-2024, 09:55 AM

excellent choice LA. I'd say the hotel was Top Bins.

Bit heavy on security though.