PDA

View Full Version : Great penalty kicks too, by the way.

redgunamo
03-13-2024, 10:43 AM
Ø wins the toss, takes the first one. #captain

PSRB
03-13-2024, 10:54 AM

Delighted for Saka, had a poor game but put his pelanty away with aplomb.

Sir C
03-13-2024, 11:43 AM

Writes the theme tune, sings the theme tune.

PSRB
03-13-2024, 12:04 PM
Writes the theme tune, sings the theme tune.

Our very own Dennis Waterman

Luis Anaconda
03-13-2024, 12:11 PM
Our very own Dennis Waterman

He can be so good for us

Peter
03-13-2024, 12:14 PM
He can be so good for us

Thanks a lot. That bloody tune is in my head now :-)

Luis Anaconda
03-13-2024, 12:15 PM
Thanks a lot. That bloody tune is in my head now :-)

At least its not On the Up

PSRB
03-13-2024, 12:44 PM

https://twitter.com/orehnato/status/1767700252050509856

Not a very clever last penalty from Porto. Pause this at 11s and Raya is already going to his left well before the player takes it but as he's just looking at the ball he doesn't see it.

IUFG
03-13-2024, 12:48 PM
https://twitter.com/orehnato/status/1767700252050509856

Not a very clever last penalty from Porto. Pause this at 11s and Raya is already going to his left well before the player takes it but as he's just looking at the ball he doesn't see it.

tbf, he put it on target. The pressure must be huge...

PSRB
03-13-2024, 12:55 PM
tbf, he put it on target. The pressure must be huge...

Indeed but you watch most penalty takers and they are always looking at the keeper, not the ball. You really shouldn't need to look at the ball, which is why penalty takers who take long run ups always worry me.

Peter
03-13-2024, 01:05 PM
Indeed but you watch most penalty takers and they are always looking at the keeper, not the ball. You really shouldn't need to look at the ball, which is why penalty takers who take long run ups always worry me.

I'm exactly the opposite. Sod the keeper, hit the corner.

Raya would have saved mine last night if he had gone the right way :-)

PSRB
03-13-2024, 01:08 PM
I'm exactly the opposite. Sod the keeper, hit the corner.

Raya would have saved mine last night if he had gone the right way :-)

That's it though, do that and you have 50/50 chance of the keeper saving it or getting close.

I always gave a sly look at one corner (that I wanted the keeper to notice) and then went the other way.

redgunamo
03-13-2024, 01:09 PM
At least its not On the Up

I loved that show! :clap:

Luis Anaconda
03-13-2024, 01:13 PM
I loved that show! :clap:
Just the one Mrs Wembley?

Such a great cast - been rewatching Porridge recently. Sam Kelly really was a quite brilliant comic actor

Peter
03-13-2024, 01:18 PM
That's it though, do that and you have 50/50 chance of the keeper saving it or getting close.

I always gave a sly look at one corner (that I wanted the keeper to notice) and then went the other way.

I always belted it in the bottom corner and if the keeper even moved I was surprised. If he went the right way he wouldn't get anywhere near it.

But most of these keepers were idiots who would need a running jump to reach the post :-)

I only sent the keeper the wrong way once, in a five a side competition, and that is only because he saw me take a penalty in the previous game and I knew which way he was going to dive.

Peter
03-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Just the one Mrs Wembley?

Such a great cast - been rewatching Porridge recently. Sam Kelly really was a quite brilliant comic actor

Porridge is brilliant. Never really appreciated how good it was when I was younger.

Superb writing and Ronnie Barker is magnificent.

Luis Anaconda
03-14-2024, 09:35 AM
Porridge is brilliant. Never really appreciated how good it was when I was younger.

As is Fulton Mackay. Going Straight was brilliant apart from the first episode which is a two hander between and him and Barker on the train after Fletch is released and Mackay forced into retirement. Maybe not as funny but beautifully written and acted

Peter
03-14-2024, 10:26 AM
As is Fulton Mackay. Going Straight was brilliant apart from the first episode which is a two hander between and him and Barker on the train after Fletch is released and Mackay forced into retirement. Maybe not as funny but beautifully written and acted

I love that first episode of Going Straight :-)

Luis Anaconda
03-14-2024, 10:55 AM

I always knew you were a man of taste, p

redgunamo
03-14-2024, 10:57 AM

I often sing the theme song in my bath. Not to EVERYONE'S taste perhaps but there it is.

redgunamo
03-14-2024, 10:58 AM

Same, same.

Peter
03-14-2024, 11:02 AM
Same, same.

Same guys that wrote the Likely Lads and Auf Wiedersehen Pet, the first series of which is just about the most perfect piece of television.

Luis Anaconda
03-14-2024, 11:19 AM
Same guys that wrote the Likely Lads and Auf Wiedersehen Pet, the first series of which is just about the most perfect piece of television.

Clement and Le Frenais - I love Auf Wiedersehen Pet. Such an incredible cast - even had Mr Bronson/Hitler in it

Likely Lads also comedy gold - often have the radio version on 4Extra

Peter
03-14-2024, 11:31 AM
Clement and Le Frenais - I love Auf Wiedersehen Pet. Such an incredible cast - even had Mr Bronson/Hitler in it

Likely Lads also comedy gold - often have the radio version on 4Extra

Tim Spall, Ray Winstone, Michael Elphick- and Tim Healy is outstanding.

redgunamo
03-14-2024, 12:06 PM

And of course "London", RIF.

Luis Anaconda
03-14-2024, 12:27 PM

Yes - vital part of the pot. Jimmy Nail as well - actually probably came into his own in the third series. And Bomber (also Pat Roach RIP, from a Clockwork Orange to Indiana Jones - some career)

Peter
03-14-2024, 12:39 PM

Gary Holton :-(

Apparently, Pet was delayed because the same guys were making Quadrophenia. And they used quite a lot of actors from it- Elphick, Spall, Winstone, Gary Holton.... I think there are a few others as well.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-15-2024, 05:23 PM

I've met his daughter a couple of times. She was renting a room with one of our best mates in Whitechappel for a bit. She's an artist.

I told her that when I'd first got an HD tv with inbuilt freeview just over a decade ago, I was channel hopping to see what these channels were and I found ITV4 which had Ray Winstone as Henry VIII.

I told her that he was great and recited a couple of lines in Winstone's accent:

"Anne. You slaaaaaaagggggg. How could ya do this me?"

"I'm not shagging that, Cromwell, you caaaaant."

Him and Sid James were the best every Henry VIIIs.

Everyone else in Wolf Hall were perfect - Mark Rylance as Cromwell, Anton Lester as Thomas More. But they should have had Winstone as Henry.