PDA

View Full Version : What was the thinking behind getting rid of the away goals rule?

redgunamo
03-12-2024, 09:12 AM
Hmm. "Thinking" ..

Luis Anaconda
03-12-2024, 09:45 AM
Hmm. "Thinking" ..

It was a ridiculous rule that has no relevance in modern day football. Always hated it

pjlincs
03-12-2024, 10:05 AM
To reduce the likelihood of extra time and pens I would guess. The side losing on away goals would need to commit to attack too.

Always felt it was unfair that the rule continued into extra time if that was needed.

redgunamo
03-12-2024, 10:17 AM
It was a ridiculous rule that has no relevance in modern day football. Always hated it

True. But it was rather like the lira, the peseta or the mark or the frank; pointless and ridiculous, of course, often infuriating too, but an essential and mildly amusing part of the whole foreign experience. Losing on away goals was always synonymous with Cheating Foreigners Cheating and therefore reassuring.

Things are somehow not the same without it.

redgunamo
03-12-2024, 10:19 AM
To reduce the likelihood of extra time and pens I would guess. The side losing on away goals would need to commit to attack too.

Always felt it was unfair that the rule continued into extra time if that was needed.

Seems odd. Everyone (neutrals) loves penalties.

Pat Vegas
03-12-2024, 11:37 AM
Hmm. "Thinking" ..

I always thought it was unfair that the away team had more time to get an away goal in extra time in the 2nd leg.

Unless of course it was in our favour.

redgunamo
03-12-2024, 11:46 AM
I always thought it was unfair that the away team had more time to get an away goal in extra time in the 2nd leg.

Unless of course it was in our favour.

Right. Like the "win the group, second leg at home in the next round". IF YOU WIN THE GROUP.