PDA

View Full Version : Havertz, I really like the chap. Proper bullet header.

PSRB
03-11-2024, 09:47 AM
All this ******* about he shouldn't have been on the pitch to score the winner, the 1st yellow was a 50/50 challenge.

Also, we should have had at least 2 penalties!

Anyway lovely to be back from the Alps with another 6 points in the bag. Beat Porto then a 19 day break.

Pat Vegas
03-11-2024, 09:58 AM
All this ******* about he shouldn't have been on the pitch to score the winner, the 1st yellow was a 50/50 challenge.

Anyway lovely to be back from the Alps with another 6 points in the bag. Beat Porto then a 19 day break.

I think tomorrow's game will be a bit like Saturdays.
Brentford's time wasting was infuriating me at some point. Don't blame them but they really were taking the piss.

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:05 AM

He had another really good game. Wish he had finished the earlier chance because I think he was onside.

The whole argument about sending him off for diving is some serious straw clutching. Even if you accept that it was a blatant dive (and ignore the slight contact) referees rarely send someone off for diving and they would have to be 100% sure, which was impossible.

If you want to take a literal interpretation of the rules, well... four Brentford players surrounded the ref appealing for him to be sent off. You can't do that, that is four yellow cards. Two of them waved imaginary cards- you can't do that, that is two yellow cards. One of them, Onyeka I think, was already on a yellow, so that is a red. As we are applying the rules ruthlessly you would also have given the penalty on Trossard and booked that guy.... etc etc etc

The amount of bookings they could have had for time wasting as well...... :-)

Interesting that they made every effort to block Ramsdale from taking quick throws. It amazes me other teams haven't being doing this.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2024, 10:10 AM
He had another really good game. Wish he had finished the earlier chance because I think he was onside.

The whole argument about sending him off for diving is some serious straw clutching. Even if you accept that it was a blatant dive (and ignore the slight contact) referees rarely send someone off for diving and they would have to be 100% sure, which was impossible.

If you want to take a literal interpretation of the rules, well... four Brentford players surrounded the ref appealing for him to be sent off. You can't do that, that is four yellow cards. Two of them waved imaginary cards- you can't do that, that is two yellow cards. One of them, Onyeka I think, was already on a yellow, so that is a red. As we are applying the rules ruthlessly you would also have given the penalty on Trossard and booked that guy.... etc etc etc

Interesting that they made every effort to block Ramsdale from taking quick throws. It amazes me other teams haven't being doing this.

Message reported to Paul Durkin (yes it was 20+ years ago, yes we still won that game, yes I am still annoyed. That was as bad a refereeing performance as another one I won't mention to save IUFG the trouble)

But also an excellent summary of that useless ****er of a ref on Saturday

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:14 AM
Message reported to Paul Durkin (yes it was 20+ years ago, yes we still won that game, yes I am still annoyed. That was as bad a refereeing performance as another one I won't mention to save IUFG the trouble)

Van Bronkhorst at Anfield?

****ing infuriating. He didn't even appeal for a penalty!

Was very tempted to log back in to twitter last night to see the Liverpool fans screaming about the 'penalty' yesterday. But I managed to resist, thank god.

John Bunnell
03-11-2024, 10:14 AM
I like him. He's a proper nuisance for the opposition's defence. He makes clever runs and is a big lump. If only he was a top class finisher...

PSRB
03-11-2024, 10:15 AM

Yes Rammers ballsed up but they were 2x top drawer saves in the 2nd half, the Toney one (some effort that) especially.

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:18 AM
Yes Rammers ballsed up but they were 2x top drawer saves in the 2nd half, the Toney one (some effort that) especially.

Yeah. I recall the conversation we all had a while back about how Ramsdale seems to be able to cope with his mistakes and get on with it.

I thought the Toney save was better than the other one. Not that he reached it, but that he managed to steer it comfortably wide.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Van Bronkhorst at Anfield?

****ing infuriating. He didn't even appeal for a penalty!

Was very tempted to log back in to twitter last night to see the Liverpool fans screaming about the 'penalty' yesterday. But I managed to resist, thank god.

He actually slipped as well - didn't really dive. The thing that wound me most about that was Dudek could have be sent off for the pen we got and Henchoz got away with pulling Henry down when he was clear through on goal. Durkin then actually gave an interview after the game, giving the quote "Not every foul is a red card". I'm not a violent man but if I had seen that ginger **** anytime soon after that ... Also sent off Petit for bumping into him

IUFG
03-11-2024, 10:21 AM

most magnanimous of you, la :thumbup:

a refereeing ****show, once more, over the weekend.

Doku = not a pelanty :hehe:

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:26 AM
He actually slipped as well - didn't really dive. The thing that wound me most about that was Dudek could have be sent off for the pen we got and Henchoz got away with pulling Henry down when he was clear through on goal. Durkin then actually gave an interview after the game, giving the quote "Not every foul is a red card". I'm not a violent man but if I had seen that ginger **** anytime soon after that ... Also sent off Petit for bumping into him

Also, when asked about the fact that it looked more like a slip and there was no appeal, he said something like 'there is too much diving in the game, anyway'..... in other words, I am far too much of a **** to admit I made a mistake.

I would gladly have shot him, but years later he reffed a game at Old Trafford and booked half the United side for a succession of appalling challenges. I forgave him- sort of.

PSRB
03-11-2024, 10:27 AM

I was stunned that wasn't given.
1. Klopp farewell tour
2. Last minute in front of the Kop
3. It was a penalty

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:27 AM

I didn't think that was a penalty :-)

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:28 AM
I was stunned that wasn't given.
1. Klopp farewell tour
2. Last minute in front of the Kop
3. It was a penalty

If the ref had given it, fair enough. If VAR had given it, it would have been a travesty.

IUFG
03-11-2024, 10:29 AM
I didn't think that was a penalty :-)

I reckon kicking someone in the tit, whilst in the pelanty area, is a pelanty, p

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2024, 10:29 AM
If the ref had given it, fair enough. If VAR had given it, it would have been a travesty.

I've only seen a still of the incident but his foot did look a leetle bit on the high side

IUFG
03-11-2024, 10:31 AM
I've only seen a still of the incident but his foot did look a leetle bit on the high side

in here, la

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13092129/liverpool-1-1-man-city-should-reds-have-had-a-late-penalty-for-jeremy-doku-challenge-on-alexis-mac-allister

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:33 AM

You are allowed to kick the ball at chest height. If you watch it slowly, he does win the ball, and the Liverpool runs on to the foot as much as anything. His foot trails back on contact, showing there was no follow through or force behind it.

It definitely does not qualify as clear and obvious. And I think the ref doesn't give it because it just looks weird. It doesn't look like a normal penalty incident.

Ref might also have been swayed by the fact that Salah had flung himself to the ground 30 seconds earlier. Haven't seen many calls for a yellow card :-)

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:36 AM
I reckon kicking someone in the tit, whilst in the pelanty area, is a pelanty, p

I'm not so sure :-)

Sir C
03-11-2024, 10:38 AM

I once saw Paul Durkin drinking in a bar in Weymouth when I was spending a weekend at Clive's. Dorset Gooner. What a lovely man.

Clive, not Scholesey's dad.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2024, 10:39 AM
You are allowed to kick the ball at chest height. If you watch it slowly, he does win the ball, and the Liverpool runs on to the foot as much as anything. His foot trails back on contact, showing there was no follow through or force behind it.

It definitely does not qualify as clear and obvious. And I think the ref doesn't give it because it just looks weird. It doesn't look like a normal penalty incident.

Ref might also have been swayed by the fact that Salah had flung himself to the ground 30 seconds earlier. Haven't seen many calls for a yellow card :-)

ty p - i trust your judgment

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2024, 10:39 AM
in here, la

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13092129/liverpool-1-1-man-city-should-reds-have-had-a-late-penalty-for-jeremy-doku-challenge-on-alexis-mac-allister

Ah thank you - free kick to City imo

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:40 AM
ty p - i trust your judgment

If you are going to give the penalty I think you have to give the lad another go and let him kick him far harder than that :-)

IUFG
03-11-2024, 10:46 AM

another part of law 12 that the referees never seem to enforce.

prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands

Peter
03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
another part of law 12 that the referees never seem to enforce.

prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands

They did eventually get a booking for it.

I've seen Raya run past four opponents and sling the ball into a two against two. You just cannot allow that to happen. All you have to do is get in the way, arms outstretched in the 'it weren't me, ref' pose. Worth the booking

IUFG
03-11-2024, 10:59 AM
They did eventually get a booking for it.

I've seen Raya run past four opponents and sling the ball into a two against two. You just cannot allow that to happen. All you have to do is get in the way, arms outstretched in the 'it weren't me, ref' pose. Worth the booking

which you could only do once per match...

Peter
03-11-2024, 11:01 AM
which you could only do once per match...

You'd get away with at least one. Then when you get booked, someone else takes over.

Peter
03-11-2024, 11:02 AM
Ah thank you - free kick to City imo

Just watched it again. Absolutely not a penalty, for me. Watch the angle of Doku's body on contact. He is turning away, withdrawing the foot. Minimal contact, and he is entitled to play the ball.

Excellent refereeing :-)

IUFG
03-11-2024, 11:11 AM
Just watched it again. Absolutely not a penalty, for me. Watch the angle of Doku's body on contact. He is turning away, withdrawing the foot. Minimal contact, and he is entitled to play the ball.

wasn't forceful, but still reckless imo.

you cannot make a challenge with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent. Even if the Bindipping **** did make a meal of it.

I'm happy that it wasn't given, btw.

IUFG
03-11-2024, 11:12 AM
You'd get away with at least one. Then when you get booked, someone else takes over.

Are you advocating ****housery, p?

Peter
03-11-2024, 11:43 AM
Are you advocating ****housery, p?

It's game management :-)

In the same way you stand right over the ball when a free kick is given, pretending to be protesting the decision with the ref but really just standing in the way to stop it being taken quickly.

Peter
03-11-2024, 11:49 AM
wasn't forceful, but still reckless imo.

you cannot make a challenge with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent. Even if the Bindipping **** did make a meal of it.

I'm happy that it wasn't given, btw.

Right, but referees consider force when looking at danger and/or consequence. Which is why it was fine for that prick Bruno at Newcastle to whack Jorginho on the back of the head as long as he only used his forearm, and not his elbow.

The key for me is that he doesn't attack the ball and the player at the same time. He attacks the ball, and the opponent arrives and collides with him. Doku is stationary, and turning his body away from the swing of the foot. I think he has done enough to minimise the danger and is entitled to attempt to clear the ball. A big swing of the foot and/ or a follow through and yes, I would agree.

At the very least.... it is not a clear and obvious error. When I saw it live, and the pundits were oohing and aaaahing about how he was in so much trouble, my first instinct was that I would be stunned if VAR gave that.

The only downside is that if Liverpool lose the league by a point or two, we will still be hearing about it for the rest of our lives.

WES
03-11-2024, 01:57 PM

As usual, I agree with Peter :-)

Never a pen, ask yourself what MacAllister was doing there. He didn't try to head the ball, control the ball or position himself to get control of the ball. He ran towards Duko while Duko was trying to clear the ball and stood there, directly in front of him. Then when the follow through brushed him he flung himself to the ground screaming.

Yellow for diving :-)

But more importantly, since when did it become acceptable for defenders to grab anyone in the box when a cross is played in and drag them to the ground?! Brentford did it all game long, at one point someone dragged White into the goal as the cross came in!

It's currently a free for all on set pieces. Defenders seem to be able to do anything and get away with it.

I just hope we're doing it as well.

WES
03-11-2024, 02:04 PM

When that ginger dwarf sent off Gio I was convinced we were never going to win the league again. By the end of the match I was convinced we were going to win that year :-)

That was the Bobby skinning Gerrard match as well I think? :rubchin:

WES
03-11-2024, 02:05 PM
I once saw Paul Durkin drinking in a bar in Weymouth when I was spending a weekend at Clive's. Dorset Gooner. What a lovely man.

Clive, not Scholesey's dad.

Now there was a man that contributed to AWIMB in it's hay day.

If for no other reason than the soiled sheets story :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2024, 02:19 PM
Now there was a man that contributed to AWIMB in it's hay day.

If for no other reason than the soiled sheets story :hehe:

Also made you look like a cheerful ****er rather than a miserable ****

IUFG
03-11-2024, 02:22 PM
It's currently a free for all on set pieces. Defenders seem to be able to do anything and get away with it.

I just hope we're doing it as well.

the moment we do it, is the moment it becomes a pelanty, W

redgunamo
03-11-2024, 03:43 PM

Absolutely! Alan Smith really likes him too, which is basically the same thing as receiving a blessing from the Pope, or Sir Geoffrey describing a promising young batsman as "well-organised".

redgunamo
03-11-2024, 03:46 PM
The only downside is that if Liverpool lose the league by a point or two, we will still be hearing about it for the rest of our lives.

:-( Right. 'Twas EVER thus.