PDA

View Full Version : I broke two of my Queen CDs.......

Fash
03-05-2024, 09:44 AM
I want to break three.......

redgunamo
03-05-2024, 09:52 AM

:cooper: Very good, P.

IUFG
03-05-2024, 10:08 AM

:shakehead:

Never, ever 'got' Queen.

Peter
03-05-2024, 10:12 AM

Never, ever 'got' Queen.

Me neither. I like a couple of their songs but apparently they are the wrong ones and prove that I don't get it. I'm happy with that.

Hammer To Fall, and I Want It All, in case you were wondering :-)

Pat Vegas
03-05-2024, 10:15 AM

Never, ever 'got' Queen.

Never liked them. All a bit theatrical and sounds like the belong in a musical.

redgunamo
03-05-2024, 10:33 AM
Never liked them. All a bit theatrical and sounds like the belong in a musical.

"Pomp Rock", like Kate Bush, so I gather.

WES
03-05-2024, 10:40 AM
Me neither. I like a couple of their songs but apparently they are the wrong ones and prove that I don't get it. I'm happy with that.

Hammer To Fall, and I Want It All, in case you were wondering :-)

Pah! You both need to listen more, and more carefully.

Hammer to Fall is excellent. Radio Ga-Ga is genius. Somebody to Love not far off. You never sang We Will Rock You p1ssed out of your heads with a group of friends in your youth? Not sure how someone could watch them at Wembley in 85 and not see greatness.

Queen is ace.

Peter
03-05-2024, 10:47 AM

Hammer to Fall is excellent. Radio Ga-Ga is genius. Somebody to Love not far off. You never sang We Will Rock You p1ssed out of your heads with a group of friends in your youth? Not sure how someone could watch them at Wembley in 85 and not see greatness.

Queen is ace.

To be fair, Somebody to Love is a good song. But Radio Ga Ga, We will Rock You.... that is exactly why I am not keen. Awful, awful songs. And no, I have definitely never sung it with my mates! Yeah, they were great at Wembley but that sort of stuff is for other people, not for me.

For example, Freddie is amazing, and I can see that. But give me a voice like Paul Rodgers over that any day of the week.

IUFG
03-05-2024, 11:38 AM

Queen is ace.

I most certainly have never done such a thing.

In 1985 I was most probably listening to Chicago House music (mainly), The Smiths, Big Audio Dynamite - that sort of thing.

WES
03-05-2024, 11:46 AM
I most certainly have never done such a thing.

In 1985 I was most probably listening to Chicago House music (mainly), The Smiths, Big Audio Dynamite - that sort of thing.

Ah the Smiths, that explains it I.

The sort of music you like until you grow up and realise it’s sh1t. :-)

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2024, 11:58 AM

Queen are ace.

Try to at least pretend you know how to write the language

Peter
03-05-2024, 12:06 PM

You grew up? :-)

WES
03-05-2024, 01:09 PM
You grew up? :-)

Nope, I was always mature enough to never like it in the first place :-)

IUFG
03-05-2024, 01:22 PM

There is/was a little dark humour in The Smiths, that I liked.

Haven't listened to them for years.

Other than some early dance music, The Clash/BAD, Talking Heads and HMHB - the 80s was a bit shít musically imho

Peter
03-05-2024, 02:48 PM
Nope, I was always mature enough to never like it in the first place :-)

Too busy listening to Queen, apparently :-)

Each to his or her own, I suppose.

Let's just say we pity each other in equal measure.

Peter
03-05-2024, 02:50 PM
There is/was a little dark humour in The Smiths, that I liked.

Haven't listened to them for years.

Other than some early dance music, The Clash/BAD, Talking Heads and HMHB - the 80s was a bit shít musically imho

The 80s was, overall, ****ing awful. But.... The Smiths, The Cure, James, REM, The Cult, Guns n Roses, the Black Crowes, The Levellers..... there was some fun to be had if you weren't busy screaming We Will Rock You at people :-)

redgunamo
03-05-2024, 03:09 PM
The 80s was, overall, ****ing awful. But.... The Smiths, The Cure, James, REM, The Cult, Guns n Roses, the Black Crowes, The Levellers..... there was some fun to be had if you weren't busy screaming We Will Rock You at people :-)

Not to mention London's own Iron Maiden with probably the greatest seven, certainly at least five, LP opening salvo of any band in rock history.

Peter
03-05-2024, 03:11 PM
Not to mention London's own Iron Maiden with probably the greatest seven, certainly at least five, LP opening salvo of any band in rock history.

Zeppelins 1 through 4, and Houses of the Holy. Beat that! :-)

I forgot The Stone Roses.....

IUFG
03-05-2024, 03:13 PM

:hehe:

I suppose my measure is, would I listen to it now?

I mean, I do like some other 80s tunes, but I would normally skip past the 80s music channels on the TV.

I saw James live (Gold Mother tour?), pretty good.
I saw REM live (Green tour), **** awful. Surprising.

redgunamo
03-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Zeppelins 1 through 4, and Houses of the Holy. Beat that! :-)

I forgot The Stone Roses.....

Back in the day, didn't we all swear a solemn oath never to speak of LZ on the board as it always led to much bitterness and resentment?

Peter
03-05-2024, 03:18 PM
:hehe:

I suppose my measure is, would I listen to it now?

I mean, I do like some other 80s tunes, but I would normally skip past the 80s music channels on the TV.

I saw James live (Gold Mother tour?), pretty good.
I saw REM live (Green tour), **** awful. Surprising.

I saw them on the Gold Mother tour as well. They were always good live. Never saw REM.

I completely agree. There was good music in the 80s but what is described as '80s music' is ****ing dreadful.

Peter
03-05-2024, 03:20 PM
Back in the day, didn't we all swear a solemn oath never to speak of LZ on the board as it always led to much bitterness and resentment?

That doesn't sound like the sort of thing I would have agreed to.....

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2024, 03:43 PM
I saw them on the Gold Mother tour as well. They were always good live. Never saw REM.

I completely agree. There was good music in the 80s but what is described as '80s music' is ****ing dreadful.

Not sure it was that tour but also saw James live - excellent band

WES
03-05-2024, 04:12 PM
Too busy listening to Queen, apparently :-)

Each to his or her own, I suppose.

Let's just say we pity each other in equal measure.

Actually I didn't start really enjoying Queen until later in life. And Radio Ga Ga is just a great song, if you don't like it I suspect you have no joy in your life. And let's be honest, Peter, that isn't the first time you have heard that accusation. :-)

Late 70s and early 80s was my Rolling Stones/Beatles/Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/Who era. There was a point when I owned Zeppelin 1-4, House of the Holy, Physical Graffiti and the one with All My Love on it. And about that time I thought that Wish You Were Here was the greatest song and album of all time.

All these years later, and using IUFG's standard, I still listen to the Stones regularly, the Beatles occasionally and I have since discovered Queen :-) I can't remember the last time I listened to Zeppelin, Who or Floyd.

I grew up, you see :-)

Peter
03-05-2024, 04:26 PM
Actually I didn't start really enjoying Queen until later in life. And Radio Ga Ga is just a great song, if you don't like it I suspect you have no joy in your life. And let's be honest, Peter, that isn't the first time you have heard that accusation. :-)

Late 70s and early 80s was my Rolling Stones/Beatles/Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/Who era. There was a point when I owned Zeppelin 1-4, House of the Holy, Physical Graffiti and the one with All My Love on it. And about that time I thought that Wish You Were Here was the greatest song and album of all time.

All these years later, and using IUFG's standard, I still listen to the Stones regularly, the Beatles occasionally and I have since discovered Queen :-) I can't remember the last time I listened to Zeppelin, Who or Floyd.

I grew up, you see :-)

No, I have heard that accusation many times. Usually from rather silly people who want to prove an unprovable point. Not that I am accusing you of anything of that sort, of course :-)

I grew up plagued by The Who and didn't like them for a long time as a result. I do now. I grew up.

There are plenty of things I don't really listen to very often these days (including Zeppelin and The Smiths) but that is not to do with growing up or changing my mind. It is more that I played them to death for years and so now I only pay the occasional visit.

I've never managed to get to grips with Floyd. I find them quite irritating.

Radio Ga Ga is an awful song. Sorry, but it is.

WES
03-05-2024, 04:36 PM
No, I have heard that accusation many times. Usually from rather silly people who want to prove an unprovable point. Not that I am accusing you of anything of that sort, of course :-)

I grew up plagued by The Who and didn't like them for a long time as a result. I do now. I grew up.

There are plenty of things I don't really listen to very often these days (including Zeppelin and The Smiths) but that is not to do with growing up or changing my mind. It is more that I played them to death for years and so now I only pay the occasional visit.

I've never managed to get to grips with Floyd. I find them quite irritating.

Radio Ga Ga is an awful song. Sorry, but it is.

I think you have heard that accusation many times, Peter, because you quite like playing the 'I'm a miserable f*cker' character. And to be honest, you play it well :-)

We will have to agree to disagree on Radio Ga Ga, it is a sublimely beautiful song that feels me with joy each and every time I hear it. It's one of those songs that is so good that many people dislike it just because so many people like it, for no other reason. In my experience those sorts of people loved The Smiths, almost without exception.

I played the Stones to death as a teenager and through my university years. But I still love them and listen to them and discover new things in their songs. As an example, my favourite Stones song has continually changed over the years. From Sympathy for the Devil to Brown Sugar to the little know Memory Motel to my current favourite, Tumbling Dice.

Boogie with Stu off Physical Graffiti, I could still listen to that.

Peter
03-05-2024, 04:49 PM
I think you have heard that accusation many times, Peter, because you quite like playing the 'I'm a miserable f*cker' character. And to be honest, you play it well :-)

We will have to agree to disagree on Radio Ga Ga, it is a sublimely beautiful song that feels me with joy each and every time I hear it. It's one of those songs that is so good that many people dislike it just because so many people like it, for no other reason. In my experience those sorts of people loved The Smiths, almost without exception.

I played the Stones to death as a teenager and through my university years. But I still love them and listen to them and discover new things in their songs. As an example, my favourite Stones song has continually changed over the years. From Sympathy for the Devil to Brown Sugar to the little know Memory Motel to my current favourite, Tumbling Dice.

Misery is in the eye of the beholder. Those who find Leonard Cohen or The Smiths depressing are, in my opinion, miserable sods. Or they are simply not listening.

You can't really play The Stones to death because you listen to it with your hips, not just your ears. Tumbling Dice isn't going to get old.... or grow up. And it does fill me with joy every time I hear it :-) So does Moonlight Mile. And Rocks Off. Winter. Monkey Man. Sway. The list goes on.......

The Beatles.... that is a whole other discussion. The genius there is songwriting and production. I could never get bored of Sgt Pepper.

WES
03-05-2024, 04:55 PM
Misery is in the eye of the beholder. Those who find Leonard Cohen or The Smiths depressing are, in my opinion, miserable sods. Or they are simply not listening.

You can't really play The Stones to death because you listen to it with your hips, not just your ears. Tumbling Dice isn't going to get old.... or grow up. And it does fill me with joy every time I hear it :-) So does Moonlight Mile. And Rocks Off. Winter. Monkey Man. Sway. The list goes on.......

The Beatles.... that is a whole other discussion. The genius there is songwriting and production. I could never get bored of Sgt Pepper.

Oh Peter, there we go again - disagreeing.

Pepper is grossly overrated, I'd take the White Album every time.

She's Leaving Home and When I'm 64 are just utter McCartney dross. Or to summarise better, the first three songs are great and after that you get mostly average songs, or rubbish, until Day in the Life, which is also overrated.

go to youtube and search for a video of someone playing Keith's guitar line from Tumbling Dice. There are a few. You don't need the vocals, bass or drum, just that guitar line. Keith is a genius.

Luis Anaconda
03-05-2024, 04:55 PM

I've heard there are a couple of great songs on their new album - have you hear it?

WES
03-05-2024, 05:02 PM
I've heard there are a couple of great songs on their new album - have you hear it?

There are a couple of goodish songs on it.

Sadly, be it the heroin, the years or their relationship, Mick and Keith will never write another Tumbling Dice, Honky Tonk Woman or Moonlight Mile ever again, I'm afraid. :-(

Peter
03-05-2024, 05:25 PM
Oh Peter, there we go again - disagreeing.

Pepper is grossly overrated, I'd take the White Album every time.

She's Leaving Home and When I'm 64 are just utter McCartney dross. Or to summarise better, the first three songs are great and after that you get mostly average songs, or rubbish, until Day in the Life, which is also overrated.

go to youtube and search for a video of someone playing Keith's guitar line from Tumbling Dice. There are a few. You don't need the vocals, bass or drum, just that guitar line. Keith is a genius.

See....I was willing to overlook the whole Radio Ga Ga issue. But this.... what you have written here.... it is just totally unacceptable.

You need to sit down and take a long look at yourself, Wes. And it won't be pretty :-(

Peter
03-05-2024, 05:26 PM
There are a couple of goodish songs on it.

Sadly, be it the heroin, the years or their relationship, Mick and Keith will never write another Tumbling Dice, Honky Tonk Woman or Moonlight Mile ever again, I'm afraid. :-(

Maybe they grew up and now love Queen? :-)

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-05-2024, 09:04 PM
I still listen to Floyd, Who, Beatles.

WES
03-06-2024, 09:41 AM
See....I was willing to overlook the whole Radio Ga Ga issue. But this.... what you have written here.... it is just totally unacceptable.

You need to sit down and take a long look at yourself, Wes. And it won't be pretty :-(

Are you *actually* telling me, Peter, that When I'm 64 is a better song than Radio Ga Ga?

Really? :rubchin:

It's load of sh1t, I don't care if it's on Pepper or not.

John Bunnell
03-06-2024, 09:53 AM
Early Queen is the best (Prophet's Song etc). Genesis and Pink Floyd is where it's at. The Beatles are mostly overrated bar a handful of brilliant songs. Paul is responsible for the worst Christmas song of all time.

Total disrespect for the 80s here. Genius decade. 60s & 70s founded bands coming into their stride combined with the exciting ascension of new drum machines and synths. A level of creativity that can only be seen at the experimentation stage of figuring out all this new hardware.There's a high level of analogue warmth to 80s records that hasn't been seen since.

Peter
03-06-2024, 10:11 AM
Are you *actually* telling me, Peter, that When I'm 64 is a better song than Radio Ga Ga?

Really? :rubchin:

It's load of sh1t, I don't care if it's on Pepper or not.

A fool and his opinions are seldom parted......

Luis Anaconda
03-06-2024, 10:14 AM
A fool and his opinions are seldom parted......

I think When I'm 64 is a dreadful song but love She's Leaving Home - funny how opinions differ. I do love Radio Ga Ga as well tbf

Peter
03-06-2024, 10:51 AM
I think When I'm 64 is a dreadful song but love She's Leaving Home - funny how opinions differ. I do love Radio Ga Ga as well tbf

WES is doing his usual. Trying to lock me into arguing over one song when the real issue is him trashing pretty much the entire album.

Do I think When I'm 64 is an amazing song? No. But I am not going bother arguing over the better of two bad songs. It would be like discussing the difference between **** and ****e.

And let's face it, if the chap thinks A Day in the Life isn't any good then our reference points are too far apart. We may as well stick to arguing about whether Arsenal are going to win the league :-)

IUFG
03-06-2024, 10:55 AM
There's a high level of analogue warmth to 80s records that hasn't been seen since.

You seem to have overlooked the fact that 80s music was pretty much at the mercy of the awful Yamaha DX7 - a digital synthesizer.

A sound so bright, harsh and percussiony, it spoiled, pretty much, 99% of things it touched.

WES
03-06-2024, 11:30 AM
WES is doing his usual. Trying to lock me into arguing over one song when the real issue is him trashing pretty much the entire album.

Do I think When I'm 64 is an amazing song? No. But I am not going bother arguing over the better of two bad songs. It would be like discussing the difference between **** and ****e.

And let's face it, if the chap thinks A Day in the Life isn't any good then our reference points are too far apart. We may as well stick to arguing about whether Arsenal are going to win the league :-)

Except that I didn’t trash pretty much the entire album, I said the first three songs were great and a lot of the rest was very average. And I didn’t say A Day in the Life wasn’t any good I said it was overrated.

Other than that your analysis is spot on Peter :thumbup:

Peter
03-06-2024, 11:30 AM
You seem to have overlooked the fact that 80s music was pretty much at the mercy of the awful Yamaha DX7 - a digital synthesizer.

A sound so bright, harsh and percussiony, it spoiled, pretty much, 99% of things it touched.

Well I prefer the Les Paul and the Marshall amp. But then I am old school :-)

Peter
03-06-2024, 11:40 AM
Except that I didn’t trash pretty much the entire album, I said the first three songs were great and a lot of the rest was very average. And I didn’t say A Day in the Life wasn’t any good I said it was overrated.

Other than that your analysis is spot on Peter :thumbup:

You said the album was grossly overrated, or have you forgotten that bit? And calling all but the first three songs average, rubbish (or McCartney dross!) or overrated is trashing 'pretty much the entire album'. Let us not quibble on that.

And it is fine, obviously. Just not worth discussing. I am not going to say anything about the White Album. Nothing at all. My lips are sealed :-)

John Bunnell
03-06-2024, 12:59 PM

I hear you. There were other synths around (OBX, CP80, JP8 etc) obviously.

One thing I don't think has ever been done quite as well as in the 80s is reverb. That plate verb on vox in New Romantic era music and large hall reverb, check Rachel's Song by Vangelis on the Bladerunner soundtrack. Immense.

WES
03-06-2024, 01:37 PM
You said the album was grossly overrated, or have you forgotten that bit? And calling all but the first three songs average, rubbish (or McCartney dross!) or overrated is trashing 'pretty much the entire album'. Let us not quibble on that.

And it is fine, obviously. Just not worth discussing. I am not going to say anything about the White Album. Nothing at all. My lips are sealed :-)

You'd throw ob-li-di ob-li-da in my face, wouldn't you Peter? :-(

Not to mention Revolution no. 9 :-(

Still I could counter with Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired and the far superior version of Revolution :-)

Peter
03-06-2024, 01:51 PM
You'd throw ob-li-di ob-li-da in my face, wouldn't you Peter? :-(

Still I could counter with Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired and the far superior version of Revolution :-)

I wouldn't, because we are talking about an album. The White Album suffers from double album syndrome. Too much, too messy, a bit of showboating here and there. Some amazing songs but it doesn't work as an album, for me. Doubles never do.

Ob-la-di harmed the album in a very particular way. Geoff Emerick, their engineer/assistant producer and architect of a lot of what they achieved on Pepper and Revolver, walked out on them after a row about that song. The album is less focused because of his departure, and I am not just saying that because he was a good friend of my dad :-)

But, we all listen to music differently. Even the concept of an album is outdated now. Just mentioning the art form gets one labelled as a boomer :-)

7sisters
03-06-2024, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't, because we are talking about an album. The White Album suffers from double album syndrome. Too much, too messy, a bit of showboating here and there. Some amazing songs but it doesn't work as an album, for me. Doubles never do.

Ob-la-di harmed the album in a very particular way. Geoff Emerick, their engineer/assistant producer and architect of a lot of what they achieved on Pepper and Revolver, walked out on them after a row about that song. The album is less focused because of his departure, and I am not just saying that because he was a good friend of my dad :-)

But, we all listen to music differently. Even the concept of an album is outdated now. Just mentioning the art form gets one labelled as a boomer :-)

Are we forgetting the marvellous, Stevie Wonder’s, Songs in the key of life, double ?
Judging the homage to all of the white rock material in this thread… presumably so. :-\

WES
03-06-2024, 02:24 PM

You think about things more than me, Peter. I love the first three songs on Pepper, and I like Day in the Life but got tired of the symphony going crazy bits, they're just irritating. But that's it, I can't think of another song on the album that I would particularly want to listen to.

White album has Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Rocky Raccoon, Yer Blues, Sexy Sadie, Revolution 1 and Cry baby Cry - I would happily listen to all of them. I even like some of the dross, like Don't Pass Me By :-)

I would agree that it does not compare as an album 'concept' with Pepper. But I don't care. I like the music better :shrug:

IUFG
03-06-2024, 02:38 PM
Well, this is better than either.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Leftfield-Leftism_%28album_cover%29.jpg

Lennon and McCartney never came close to that piece of art...

Nor Taylor, Mercury, May and the other one...

John Bunnell
03-06-2024, 02:42 PM
Well, this is better than either.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Leftfield-Leftism_%28album_cover%29.jpg

Lennon and McCartney never came close to that piece of art...

Nor Taylor, Mercury, May and the other one...

Best Dance Album ever made.

IUFG
03-06-2024, 02:51 PM
Best Album ever made.

Fixed that for you...

Peter
03-06-2024, 02:53 PM
Are we forgetting the marvellous, Stevie Wonder’s, Songs in the key of life, double ?
Judging the homage to all of the white rock material in this thread… presumably so. :-\

I don't like Stevie Wonder. At all.

I am afraid my my musical taste is white. I can't help it :-(

IUFG
03-06-2024, 03:00 PM

The bonkersness of Sir Duke blighted by Isn't She Lovely

WES
03-06-2024, 03:00 PM
I don't like Stevie Wonder. At all.

I am afraid my my musical taste is white. I can't help it :-(

You see Peter we can agree! :-)

Partly :-(

I don't get Steve Wonder at all, but I would never write off all black music. You racist :-)

WES
03-06-2024, 03:01 PM

He did Signed, Sealed, Delivered, did he not?

I quite like that one.

IUFG
03-06-2024, 03:03 PM
He did Signed, Sealed, Delivered, did he not?

I quite like that one.

He did. Though is not on Songs in the Key of Life, I believe...

Peter
03-06-2024, 03:03 PM
You think about things more than me, Peter. I love the first three songs on Pepper, and I like Day in the Life but got tired of the symphony going crazy bits, they're just irritating. But that's it, I can't think of another song on the album that I would particularly want to listen to.

White album has Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Rocky Raccoon, Yer Blues, Sexy Sadie, Revolution 1 and Cry baby Cry - I would happily listen to all of them. I even like some of the dross, like Don't Pass Me By :-)

I would agree that it does not compare as an album 'concept' with Pepper. But I don't care. I like the music better :shrug:

There you go- we are experiencing the same thing in a different way.

I like an album. But it is a dying art form and I am a dinosaur :-(

Peter
03-06-2024, 03:05 PM
You see Peter we can agree! :-)

Partly :-(

I don't get Steve Wonder at all, but I would never write off all black music. You racist :-)

Obviously I love Bob Marley and some other reggae. And I like a bit of Otis.

But all my favourite artists are white, and male. Sorry for being me :-(

And it is all black music. Just performed by white people.....

WES
03-06-2024, 03:06 PM
There you go- we are experiencing the same thing in a different way.

I like an album. But it is a dying art form and I am a dinosaur :-(

And just to spite you I am listening to it as we speak :-)

I might add Glass Onion to the above list. And I just finished the stunningly simplistic yet wonderful I'm So Tired. Twice.

Lennon at his best imo.

IUFG
03-06-2024, 03:08 PM
Lennon at his best imo.

I’m off to see the Bootleg Beatles
As the bootleg Mark Chapman

the usual quality lyrics from HMHB :hehe:

Peter
03-06-2024, 03:09 PM
And just to spite you I am listening to it as we speak :-)

I might add Glass Onion to the above list. And I just finished the stunningly simplistic yet wonderful I'm So Tired. Twice.

Lennon at his best imo.

I like Abbey Road. I suppose you are going to tell me that is drivel now, aren't you :-)

WES
03-06-2024, 03:11 PM
I like Abbey Road. I suppose you are going to tell me that is drivel now, aren't you :-)

Nope :nono:

Excellent first side. Then Here Comes the Sun (wonderful). Then the drivel begins.

Peter
03-06-2024, 03:13 PM
Nope :nono:

Excellent first side. Then Here Comes the Sun (wonderful). Then the drivel begins.

Oh my :clap:

The second side is when it gets really good :-)

Let us say no more about it!

WES
03-06-2024, 03:14 PM
Oh my :clap:

The second side is when it gets really good :-)

Let us say no more about it!

:clap: :hehe:

7sisters
03-06-2024, 06:10 PM

That is true but Pastime Paradise and Contusion.

IUFG
03-07-2024, 08:20 AM
"Pomp Rock", like Kate Bush, so I gather.

Given this thread, I flicked between a couple of 80s Music channels last night for 15 or so minutes.

In summary

The Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Duran Duran - The Reflex (what the **** is that about?)
Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good
George Benson - Give Me the Night

80s music can **** right off imo

WES
03-07-2024, 09:28 AM
Given this thread, I flicked between a couple of 80s Music channels last night for 15 or so minutes.

In summary

The Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Duran Duran - The Reflex (what the **** is that about?)
Nik Kershaw - Wouldn't It Be Good
George Benson - Give Me the Night

80s music can **** right off imo

Harsh to judge the entire decade based on that sample, I. Although I loved Hold Me Now at the time :hide:

The best thing about the 80s music is that it wasn't the 70s. By 82 I had had enough of concept albums and 3 minute guitar solos, I just wanted to listen to music that made me happy and the 80s had loads of that. I can understand how people like Peter who seem to think quite deeply music would prefer the 70s but for me music is entertainment, a source of escape. Led Zeppelin is hardly that imo.

BTW, I owe Peter a thank you actually. Because of his objections I listened to the White Album all the way through yesterday and I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. I skipped ob-li-di ob-la-da, Helter Skelter and Revolution no. 9. Every other song I enjoyed and some I had forgotten how good they are. Long long long being one of them.

Merci Pierre :thumbup:

IUFG
03-07-2024, 09:36 AM
Harsh to judge the entire decade based on that sample, I.

oh, I don't know, W.

Don't get me wrong, I like some songs from the 80s, but George Benson tipped me over the edge and I pressed the button on the remote with "Fúck this shít"

The 70s was equally tragic. That said I've been listening to a bit of Tangerine Dream and Brian Eno recently, background stuff, whilst at work, that sort of thing...

Peter
03-07-2024, 10:47 AM
oh, I don't know, W.

Don't get me wrong, I like some songs from the 80s, but George Benson tipped me over the edge and I pressed the button on the remote with "Fúck this shít"

The 70s was equally tragic. That said I've been listening to a bit of Tangerine Dream and Brian Eno recently, background stuff, whilst at work, that sort of thing...

Thing is, this is nostalgia radio where the art seems to be in digging up crap that people liked at the time but have forgotten about. It leans inevitably towards throwaway ****e. I spent the 80s listening to Billy Bragg and The Pogues but you aren't going to hear Greetings to The New Brunette or Broad Majestic Shannon on these stations.

The 70s was full of fantastic music but if you listen to 70s radio you'll get Kung Fu Fighting and Tiger Feet.

Peter
03-07-2024, 10:48 AM
Harsh to judge the entire decade based on that sample, I. Although I loved Hold Me Now at the time :hide:

The best thing about the 80s music is that it wasn't the 70s. By 82 I had had enough of concept albums and 3 minute guitar solos, I just wanted to listen to music that made me happy and the 80s had loads of that. I can understand how people like Peter who seem to think quite deeply music would prefer the 70s but for me music is entertainment, a source of escape. Led Zeppelin is hardly that imo.

BTW, I owe Peter a thank you actually. Because of his objections I listened to the White Album all the way through yesterday and I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. I skipped ob-li-di ob-la-da, Helter Skelter and Revolution no. 9. Every other song I enjoyed and some I had forgotten how good they are. Long long long being one of them.

Merci Pierre :thumbup:

I don't like Helter Skelter either. That one definitely missed its target.

I listened to Neil Young :-)

WES
03-07-2024, 10:50 AM
I don't like Helter Skelter either. That one definitely missed its target.

I listened to Neil Young :-)

I discovered Neil Young in about 82. A great Canadian. :-)

Now you're going to tell me you don't like Harvest Moon, aren't you Peter :-(

IUFG
03-07-2024, 10:55 AM
Thing is, this is nostalgia radio where the art seems to be in digging up crap that people liked at the time but have forgotten about. It leans inevitably towards throwaway ****e. I spent the 80s listening to Billy Bragg and The Pogues but you aren't going to hear Greetings to The New Brunette or Broad Majestic Shannon on these stations.

The 70s was full of fantastic music but if you listen to 70s radio you'll get Kung Fu Fighting and Tiger Feet.

This.

Another track on the telly was Kraftwerk - The Model. Whilst OK, you very rarely hear any of their other tracks which are miles better. Now, it could be to do with song videos, but the same also appears to apply to radio.

BTW, Billy Bragg has turned into some sort of massive cvnt, hasn't he? Or was he always one?

Peter
03-07-2024, 10:56 AM
I discovered Neil Young in about 82. A great Canadian. :-)

Now you're going to tell me you don't like Harvest Moon, aren't you Peter :-(

I most certainly am not!

I like Neil Young. I prefer his acoustic and softer side, and some of the rockier stuff is lost on me. But I will never sit here and criticise him. :-)

Peter
03-07-2024, 11:00 AM
This.

Another track on the telly was Kraftwerk - The Model. Whilst OK, you very rarely hear any of their other tracks which are miles better. Now, it could be to do with song videos, but the same also appears to apply to radio.

BTW, Billy Bragg has turned into some sort of massive cvnt, hasn't he? Or was he always one?

Billy has fallen into the same abyss as the rest of the left and now appears to not understand what a woman is. To the extent of telling women to shut the **** up for voicing their own opinion on the subject.

But his first four albums are still good. Dated, but good :-)

The 80s was actually pretty ****ing depressing and to me the music with a darker side is more evocative of the period. The bass sound on early Cure records, Joy Division and The Smiths. That is what the 80s felt like to me. Not a load of ponces with shoulder pads, lipstick and those stupid ****ing guitars with the neck cut off.

IUFG
03-07-2024, 11:04 AM
Billy has fallen into the same abyss as the rest of the left and now appears to not understand what a woman is. To the extent of telling women to shut the **** up for voicing their own opinion on the subject.

But his first four albums are still good. Dated, but good :-)

The 80s was actually pretty ****ing depressing and to me the music with a darker side is more evocative of the period. The bass sound on early Cure records, Joy Division and The Smiths. That is what the 80s felt like to me. Not a load of ponces with shoulder pads, lipstick and those stupid ****ing guitars with the neck cut off.

Joy Division. Unpopular opinion, but I didn't like them at all. New Order, on the other hand, I've seen them live a few times.

Steinberger guitars? They are still on the go, I believe.

7sisters
03-07-2024, 11:25 AM

Have we forgotten, Steely Dan… Aja and Gaucho ? Two outstanding albums. Stunning production, full of well crafted tracks :cloud9:

Peter
03-07-2024, 11:31 AM
Joy Division. Unpopular opinion, but I didn't like them at all. New Order, on the other hand, I've seen them live a few times.

Steinberger guitars? They are still on the go, I believe.

To be honest, I didn't really like Joy Division either. I was just using it as an example of the sound :-)

I should have said the Sisters of Mercy, better example. Their first album has that dark, heavy sound to it but their later stuff is all very tinny and crisp.

Peter
03-07-2024, 11:32 AM
Have we forgotten, Steely Dan… Aja and Gaucho ? Two outstanding albums. Stunning production, full of well crafted tracks :cloud9:

It's a bit..... weird! :-)

The last great classic rock album ever made was Hotel California. A great way to close the genre :-)

Sir C
03-07-2024, 01:11 PM
It's a bit..... weird! :-)

The last great classic rock album ever made was Hotel California. A great way to close the genre :-)

Hotel California was released a year before Rumours… and two years before Darkness, for all love!

Peter
03-07-2024, 01:31 PM
Hotel California was released a year before Rumours… and two years before Darkness, for all love!

Neither of those are classic rock. Rumours has women singing on it for god sake!

Darkness is a whole different ball game. Incomparable.

IUFG
03-07-2024, 02:14 PM
Rumours has women singing on it for god sake!

Stevie Nicks books about kleptomania...

Chief Arrowhead
03-07-2024, 03:41 PM
To be honest, I didn't really like Joy Division either. I was just using it as an example of the sound :-)

I should have said the Sisters of Mercy, better example. Their first album has that dark, heavy sound to it but their later stuff is all very tinny and crisp.

Joy Divison fans might like this rendition of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkqBPHSyS44

Benmont Tench is Tom Petty's childhood buddy who, along with Petty obviously, founded Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

As far as I know it can only be found here: https://www.discogs.com/release/14243719-Benmont-Tench-Nervous-From-The-Fall

So if you like it I think it can only be found on the link above.

How great a name is Benmont Tench! Should have been an acoustic jazzman. "On the bass, Benmont Tench!"

7sisters
03-07-2024, 06:15 PM
Best Dance Album ever made.

This is *not a dance album. This is Radiohead meets Massive Attack peppered with a bit of PiL here and there. Has its moments, probably improved by the addition of illegal substances :)

John Bunnell
03-07-2024, 09:30 PM
This is *not a dance album. This is Radiohead meets Massive Attack peppered with a bit of PiL here and there. Has its moments, probably improved by the addition of illegal substances :)

Radiohead????? You lost me there.

7sisters
03-08-2024, 09:38 AM
Radiohead????? You lost me there.

Those off centre, exploratory vibes from something like, Kid A ?

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2024, 12:49 PM
Joy Divison fans might like this rendition of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkqBPHSyS44

Benmont Tench is Tom Petty's childhood buddy who, along with Petty obviously, founded Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

As far as I know it can only be found here: https://www.discogs.com/release/14243719-Benmont-Tench-Nervous-From-The-Fall

So if you like it I think it can only be found on the link above.

How great a name is Benmont Tench! Should have been an acoustic jazzman. "On the bass, Benmont Tench!"

excellent c