PDA

View Full Version : carwimb. what car(s) do you have?

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 10:16 AM
:driving:

:vsign:

:hehe:

PSRB
03-01-2024, 10:30 AM

Audi A5 and wife has a dented VW Tiguain

IUFG
03-01-2024, 10:30 AM

A Skoda...

Luis Anaconda
03-01-2024, 10:31 AM
Out two to three weeks?

IUFG
03-01-2024, 10:32 AM
Out two to three weeks?

Approx. One Diaby.

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 10:40 AM

my mrs wants a small cheap car to go shopping to the gym etc as our car is 'too big'. so I have sort of hijacked it and trying to find out the best thing to buy. she seems to want a Fiat. Abarth it is then.

hmm or a m140i

IUFG
03-01-2024, 10:42 AM
she seems to want a Fiat. Abarth it is then.

They are nippy little things, but very 'plasticky' inside.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 10:48 AM
my mrs wants a small cheap car to go shopping to the gym etc as our car is 'too big'. so I have sort of hijacked it and trying to find out the best thing to buy. she seems to want a Fiat. Abarth it is then.

hmm or a m140i

Here's won for you - https://shorturl.at/qrwCY - as long as they've sorted the ****ty VAG software it'll be great :thumbup:

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 10:50 AM
Here's won for you - https://shorturl.at/qrwCY - as long as they've sorted the ****ty VAG software it'll be great :thumbup:

hmm this is not going to plan :-)

IUFG
03-01-2024, 10:52 AM
hmm this is not going to plan :-)

Any car from the VW group with the EA888 engine and DSG gearbox, F...

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Any car from the VW group with the EA888 engine and DSG gearbox, F...

I am a BMW man now I love my 420d but I want a F82 next as the new ones are a little too pricey.
But this secondary car for the mrs needs to be cheap as chips but a bit fun I can use occasionally.

Peter
03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
A Skoda...

I win. 17 year old Vauxhall Vectra with knackered paint work on the passenger side door and a driver's seat that could be used a torture device.

I am looking at upgrading to an old Jag, either S or X type.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 11:00 AM
I win. 17 year old Vauxhall Vectra with knackered paint work on the passenger side door and a driver's seat that could be used a torture device.

Don't get the X type. It's a Mondeo.

You could get the 'newer' XF model for a bargain.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
I am a BMW man now I love my 420d but I want a F82 next as the new ones are a little too pricey.
But this secondary car for the mrs needs to be cheap as chips but a bit fun I can use occasionally.

A VW Polo GTI? Used, of course...

Peter
03-01-2024, 11:05 AM
Don't get the X type. It's a Mondeo.

You could get the 'newer' XF model for a bargain.

The X appears to suffer from rusty sills.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 11:06 AM
The X appears to suffer from rusty sills.

yes. it'a a Mondeo alright.

Sir C
03-01-2024, 11:08 AM

Lexus RX350h
Toyota Hilux
Toyota GR Yaris
Toyota Yaris Cross
Suzuki Jimny
BMW M3
Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

God I'm old and boring now :-(

IUFG
03-01-2024, 11:10 AM
Lexus RX350h
Toyota Hilux
Toyota GR Yaris
Toyota Yaris Cross
Suzuki Jimny
BMW M3

Good god, sc, are you both a terrorist and a cigar smoking nonce?

Sir C
03-01-2024, 11:15 AM
Good god, sc, are you both a terrorist and a cigar smoking nonce?

The Rolls was my father's car and I keep it in the garage to remember him by.

The Hilux is for towing horseboxes, although it's probably my favourite vehicle right now.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 11:25 AM
The Rolls was my father's car and I keep it in the garage to remember him by.

The Hilux is for towing horseboxes, although it's probably my favourite vehicle right now.

Probably the best place for the Rolls. Those 6.8L engines are a bit thirsty.

pjlincs
03-01-2024, 11:38 AM

Had a Y plate X-type 3.0L V6 manual for 9 years and 180k miles, loved it. Found the S-type too wallowy.

Currently have a Focus 1.5L 150bhp in my downsized retirement, practical. Insurance renewal was up 60%! Cheapest alternative quote >50%. Mrs Lincs has a Fiesta 1.0L ecoboost, nippy enough. Fiesta being discontinued which is a shame as has been safe choice for second car for several iterations.

Sir C
03-01-2024, 11:39 AM
Probably the best place for the Rolls. Those 6.8L engines are a bit thirsty.

I don't know, the last time I gave it a bit of a run I got about 12 mpg, I think.

redgunamo
03-01-2024, 11:40 AM

I quite fancied one of those, for similar purposes (horses, hounds, girls' hockey teams, son's boy scout crew etc.) but the wife, being the chauvinist she is, will not tolerate foreign cars. No Beamer, no Lexus; lucky to be permitted a Land Rover. And there's a G-Klasse and a very old VW mobile home, from back when I used to campaign.

7sisters
03-01-2024, 11:41 AM

Evoque.. The management tells me all other SUV’s are ugly. :-/
I still use the old Freelander 2. Great engines and great for the hounds on muddy days

IUFG
03-01-2024, 11:47 AM
Had a Y plate X-type 3.0L V6 manual for 9 years and 180k miles, loved it. Found the S-type too wallowy.

Currently have a Focus 1.5L 150bhp in my downsized retirement, practical. Insurance renewal was up 60%! Cheapest alternative quote >50%. Mrs Lincs has a Fiesta 1.0L ecoboost, nippy enough. Fiesta being discontinued which is a shame as has been safe choice for second car for several iterations.

Insurance.

Just renewed mine for the Skoda.

Was £300 last year. Quoted renewal at £500.

Got cover for £450. No claims made...

Robbing ****s.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 11:49 AM
I don't know, the last time I gave it a bit of a run I got about 12 mpg, I think.

Any thoughts on the new Lexus LBX, SC?

Luis Anaconda
03-01-2024, 11:55 AM
I quite fancied one of those, for similar purposes (horses, hounds, girls' hockey teams, son's boy scout crew etc.) but the wife, being the chauvinist she is, will not tolerate foreign cars. No Beamer, no Lexus; lucky to be permitted a Land Rover. And there's a G-Klasse and a very old VW mobile home, from back when I used to campaign.

Isn't everything foreign these days, r?

redgunamo
03-01-2024, 12:10 PM
Isn't everything foreign these days, r?

Well, quite. It's all made in Hong Kong nowadays, I think.

Peter
03-01-2024, 12:13 PM
Insurance.

Just renewed mine for the Skoda.

Was £300 last year. Quoted renewal at £500.

Got cover for £450. No claims made...

Robbing ****s.

It is outright theft. Money for Nothing :-)

Peter
03-01-2024, 12:15 PM

The Vectra is horrible to drive but it does at least work.

I fancy the X type but whenever I go for a car I really fancy it tends to blow up in my face. Same with women.... better off sticking to the ugly but practical ones :-)

Sir C
03-01-2024, 12:18 PM
Any thoughts on the new Lexus LBX, SC?

Lexus quality on Yaris Cross running gear, i. A definite winner. The question is whether the price difference vs the Yaris Cross is justifiable to you.

Put it this way, we’ll be changing the glw’s Yaris Cross for an LBX in a couple of months.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 12:19 PM
Lexus quality on Yaris Cross running gear, i. A definite winner. The question is whether the price difference vs the Yaris Cross is justifiable to you.

Put it this way, we’ll be changing the glw’s Yaris Cross for an LBX in a couple of months.

Thank you. :thumbup:

Missus is due a new car, it's a contender.

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 12:44 PM
Lexus RX350h
Toyota Hilux
Toyota GR Yaris
Toyota Yaris Cross
Suzuki Jimny
BMW M3

which model of M3?

Sir C
03-01-2024, 12:53 PM
which model of M3?

E46. I’ve had them all but the old E46 remains my favourite.

PSRB
03-01-2024, 12:58 PM
E46. I’ve had them all but the old E46 remains my favourite.

I liked my E46 but all the electrics died, so got the Audi

WES
03-01-2024, 02:00 PM

VW Golf R - got the first one that went all poncey with the touchscreen and assisted driving functions blah blah blah

Nice drive, goes like f*ck but the electronics make you want to put your fist through the dashboard on an ongoing basis.

Maravilloso Marvo
03-01-2024, 02:08 PM

After driving Ears are Alight's old Audi Q5 for 7 or 8 years, I had to change last year due to the great ULEZ scheme. So thought I would go Italian and went for the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

I am happy to confirm that their reputation for reliability is to be believed. I drove it the other day and I think it was the first time this year that it didn't have some kind of light on the dashboard. I mean, the DNA button to put it into Dynamic mode still didn't work but it was quite the joy to drive it without fear of not making it home for once...

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 02:09 PM
After driving Ears are Alight's old Audi Q5 for 7 or 8 years, I had to change last year due to the great ULEZ scheme. So thought I would go Italian and went for the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

I am happy to confirm that their reputation for reliability is to be believed. I drove it the other day and I think it was the first time this year that it didn't have some kind of light on the dashboard. I mean, the DNA button to put it into Dynamic mode still didn't work but it was quite the joy to drive it without fear of not making it home for once...

I was consdering one of those. The layout looks similar to BMW. How's the infotainment system?

IUFG
03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Nice drive, goes like f*ck but the electronics make you want to put your fist through the dashboard on an ongoing basis.

VAG really, really ****ed up the software on the latest batch of machines.

A journey when the screen didn't keep rebooting or just stopped working or didn't call the emergency services was a delight.

useless ****s.

PSRB
03-01-2024, 02:49 PM

Engine management lights can really do one!! Mine goes off every month, garage resets it and says nothing wrong with it.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 02:57 PM
Engine management lights can really do one!! Mine goes off every month, garage resets it and says nothing wrong with it.

I had a Mazda 3 MPS - constant red lights on the dashboard. Always in at the dealer who said there were no issues.

In the end they reclassifed the warnings as ambers and said just leave it until the next time you bring it in.

Invariably the light would go off by itself in the meantime.

Peter
03-01-2024, 02:59 PM
I had a Mazda 3 MPS - constant red lights on the dashboard. Always in at the dealer who said there were no issues.

In the end they reclassifed the warnings as ambers and said just leave it until the next time you bring it in.

Invariably the light would go off by itself in the meantime.

Tyre sensors. Most pointless thing I have ever experienced. I am no genius with cars but I am capable of spotting a flat tyre on my own!

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 03:08 PM

My a class used to drive me crazy. it would randomly not start all the lights would come on. you'd have to get out lock the car and reopen it and then it might work sometimes it would take 30 seconds some times 30 minutes. Called Mercedes so many times and took it for a diagnositc couldn't find anything wrong with it. it used to happen at the most annoying times like if you stopped at services on your way somewhere. then it wouldn't do it for months. Was part of the reason I got rid of it as wasn't willing to spend any more money on trying to diagnose it, I miss a lot of the tech in it though.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 03:09 PM
Tyre sensors. Most pointless thing I have ever experienced. I am no genius with cars but I am capable of spotting a flat tyre on my own!

There was a 'do not drive' red warning that intermittently came on. Mazda dealer could not find the reason.

A £10 OBD2 plug-in from Amazon found it :rolleyes:

Exhaust pressure sensor. Who knew you needed such a thing..?

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 03:10 PM

quite good at an early warning though if you have a slow puncture. I had a nail in my tyre after a trip to silverstone. car felt fine and the tyres looked good but the sensors showed the pressure was down. glad I spotted it then and not halfway down the motorway.

IUFG
03-01-2024, 03:11 PM
My a class used to drive me crazy. it would randomly not start all the lights would come on. you'd have to get out lock the car and reopen it and then it might work sometimes it would take 30 seconds some times 30 minutes. Called Mercedes so many times and took it for a diagnositc couldn't find anything wrong with it. it used to happen at the most annoying times like if you stopped at services on your way somewhere. then it wouldn't do it for months. Was part of the reason I got rid of it as wasn't willing to spend any more money on trying to diagnose it, I miss a lot of the tech in it though.

Ah, the old 'open the driver's door and close it' reboot technique.

Pat Vegas
03-01-2024, 03:12 PM
Ah, the old 'open the driver's door and close it' reboot technique.

yep, definitely some sort of software problem I think.

Peter
03-01-2024, 03:32 PM
quite good at an early warning though if you have a slow puncture. I had a nail in my tyre after a trip to silverstone. car felt fine and the tyres looked good but the sensors showed the pressure was down. glad I spotted it then and not halfway down the motorway.

Mine were very good at telling me I had a flat tyre when I didn't. Every 30 seconds or so, with a beep that was clearly designed to be ****ing irritating.

I was so happy when the garage told me they could just take them off :-)

A week later I had a flat tyre..... fortunately I spotted it myself.

WES
03-01-2024, 04:52 PM
VAG really, really ****ed up the software on the latest batch of machines.

A journey when the screen didn't keep rebooting or just stopped working or didn't call the emergency services was a delight.

useless ****s.

I was constantly being pinged with the most annoying ping sound ever invented that the driver assist functions were not available.

I pointed out to VW that I didn't want or need them so was happy for them to be turned off. They told me that was not possible. I told them the configuration had a setting that allowed you to turn some of them off. They told me it didn't work.

That was the one thing it is exceptionally good at, telling me that driver assist functions that I didn't want, didn't need, and that didn't work, were not available.

John Bunnell
03-02-2024, 03:29 PM
Volvo XC90 T8

IUFG
03-04-2024, 09:23 AM
Volvo XC90 T8

Do they still have the turning circle of a barge?

Luis Anaconda
03-04-2024, 09:26 AM
I think the correct phrase these days is "turning circle of a Maguire"

IUFG
03-04-2024, 09:27 AM
I think the correct phrase these days is "turning circle of a Maguire"

I don't recall the Volvo being that ****e

redgunamo
03-04-2024, 09:39 AM

You know more about cars than me then :-(

IUFG
03-04-2024, 11:33 AM
That was the one thing it is exceptionally good at, telling me that driver assist functions that I didn't want, didn't need, and that didn't work, were not available.

my car has virtually no console buttons and is controlled mailnly by voice or steering wheel buttons.

Laura, as my car is apparently called, does a good line in either mishearing or completely ignoring me.

And, she tells me off for not driving in the centre of the lane, not having my hands on the steering wheel (when I have) and having the ****ing windows open whilst driving.

But she'll accurately respond to someone talking on Radio4 :rolleyes:

Peter
03-04-2024, 02:33 PM
my car has virtually no console buttons and is controlled mailnly by voice or steering wheel buttons.

Laura, as my car is apparently called, does a good line in either mishearing or completely ignoring me.

And, she tells me off for not driving in the centre of the lane, not having my hands on the steering wheel (when I have) and having the ****ing windows open whilst driving.

But she'll accurately respond to someone talking on Radio4 :rolleyes:

Laura sounds like a ****ing pain in the arse.

IUFG
03-04-2024, 02:52 PM
Laura sounds like a ****ing pain in the arse.

She sure is, P.

John Bunnell
03-04-2024, 07:07 PM

I dunno I haven't driven enough SUVs to compare it to. I am somewhat regretting it though as going through little residential streets in London is a nightmare. I tend to drive my Girlfriend's Toyota Aygo X more.

Maravilloso Marvo
03-05-2024, 05:25 PM
I was consdering one of those. The layout looks similar to BMW. How's the infotainment system?

The infotainment is shít but I do have a 2019 model so the newer ones might be better. But it has Carplay anyway so I generally only use Waze and Spotify so it doesn't really matter. The driving experience is what sets it apart though. It handles like a saloon car, not an SUV at all. Very pointed and responsive on the steering, it's an absolute joy on coutry roads.

The latest problem with this car came yesterday morning though when somebody decided to smash into the front of me. She pulled out of her driveway and I reacted brilliantly to stop just in time before hitting her. I breathed a sigh of relief for about 0.5 seconds before the lady decided to carry on and turned straight into my front corner and crushed it. I was in a state of disblief that was only amplified when, upon realising she had hit me, she decided to reverse off me, slammed her foot on the accelerator and sped back over the pavement, a grass verge and into her next door neighbours wall. The orginal damage to her car wasn't too bad to be fair, but she absolutely destroyed the back of it, along with the brick wall!

I was pretty sure she was under the influence, despite being 7am on a Monday (pros tell me that is a very common time to be under the influence), but as I had the children with me, I didn't fancy waiting for however long for the police to arrive and exposing all of that to the children. I needed to really just get them to school.

Thankfully they have admitted liability without any problem and so my car has been recovered to be assessed and I am currently driving a BMW 3 series Touring. Enterprise have said I can call them up and swap to something bigger if I want but as I was considering an estate when I got this car, I thought it would be a good road test to have it for a while.

As it's an Alfa and parts are likely be on back order from Italy (they always seem to be), I actually think there's a decent chance they end up writing my car off.

Damage to my car

The damage to her car from hitting me

The damage to the back of her car because she decided to drive back into a brick a wall!
[1225

IUFG
03-06-2024, 12:42 PM
The infotainment is shít but I do have a 2019 model so the newer ones might be better. But it has Carplay anyway so I generally only use Waze and Spotify so it doesn't really matter. The driving experience is what sets it apart though. It handles like a saloon car, not an SUV at all. Very pointed and responsive on the steering, it's an absolute joy on coutry roads.

The latest problem with this car came yesterday morning though when somebody decided to smash into the front of me. She pulled out of her driveway and I reacted brilliantly to stop just in time before hitting her. I breathed a sigh of relief for about 0.5 seconds before the lady decided to carry on and turned straight into my front corner and crushed it. I was in a state of disblief that was only amplified when, upon realising she had hit me, she decided to reverse off me, slammed her foot on the accelerator and sped back over the pavement, a grass verge and into her next door neighbours wall. The orginal damage to her car wasn't too bad to be fair, but she absolutely destroyed the back of it, along with the brick wall!

I was pretty sure she was under the influence, despite being 7am on a Monday (pros tell me that is a very common time to be under the influence), but as I had the children with me, I didn't fancy waiting for however long for the police to arrive and exposing all of that to the children. I needed to really just get them to school.

Thankfully they have admitted liability without any problem and so my car has been recovered to be assessed and I am currently driving a BMW 3 series Touring. Enterprise have said I can call them up and swap to something bigger if I want but as I was considering an estate when I got this car, I thought it would be a good road test to have it for a while.

As it's an Alfa and parts are likely be on back order from Italy (they always seem to be), I actually think there's a decent chance they end up writing my car off.

Damage to my car

The damage to the back of her car because she decided to drive back into a brick a wall!
[1225

She was probably driving in that daft B mode that are on new Renaults. ****ing ridicules.

Pat Vegas
03-08-2024, 01:37 PM

Damage to my car

[1225

This makes me sad. They will probably write it off, they write off everything these days :-(

7sisters
03-08-2024, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Maravilloso Marvo;4275960]The infotainment is shít but I do have a 2019 model so the newer ones might be better. But it has Carplay anyway so I generally only use Waze and Spotify so it doesn't really matter. The driving experience is what sets it apart though. It handles like a saloon car, not an SUV at all. Very pointed and responsive on the steering, it's an absolute joy on coutry roads.

Hmmm. I feel this is the required response in this situation

https://youtu.be/7UJPjULCa9Q?si=ZMikcmOxTEAKKsEg