PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed that since Zinny was injured

WES
02-19-2024, 10:10 AM
we are much more stable at the back and keeping clean sheets.

Without any noticeable drop off in scoring goals, quite the opposite

:hide:

Pat Vegas
02-19-2024, 10:14 AM

I think our two former Man City players do not immediately get into the starting xi when they are back. Trossard and Havertz are playing nicely together too

WES
02-19-2024, 10:18 AM
I think our two former Man City players do not immediately get into the starting xi when they are back. Trossard and Havertz are playing nicely together too

Well, we're scoring for fun so hard to see Arteta making many changes up front or in midfield.

Amazing given that we have a DM who can't pass between the lines.

:wave: Peter

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 10:21 AM

Yes, my boy told me awhile back that he (Zinny) was a midfielder by trade but essentially too good to be left out yet not disciplined ("beefy" as Anaconda might say) enough to be trusted to hold the middle of the park together.

Playing him at full-back is simply the best compromise anybody's come up with. Risk versus Reward and a' that.

WES
02-19-2024, 10:28 AM
Yes, my boy told me awhile back that he (Zinny) was a midfielder by trade but essentially too good to be left out yet not disciplined ("beefy" as Anaconda might say) enough to be trusted to hold the middle of the park together.

Playing him at full-back is simply the best compromise anybody's come up with. Risk versus Reward and a' that.

True, but perhaps we've discovered that the risk is not needed as the other players are getting used to each other and/or playing at a higher level so we're scoring goals without the need for a risky left back.

Personally, red, I'm with George - let's get it right at the back :nod:

PSRB
02-19-2024, 10:36 AM
True, but perhaps we've discovered that the risk is not needed as the other players are getting used to each other and/or playing at a higher level so we're scoring goals without the need for a risky left back.

Kiwior getting better and better each match. Wasn't much of a fan to begin with but beginning to warm to him now.

IUFG
02-19-2024, 10:46 AM

He's a midfielder. How anyone thinks he's a defender, is beyond me.

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Kiwior getting better and better each match. Wasn't much of a fan to begin with but beginning to warm to him now.

Decent work for our fourth. Should've trusted him earlier last season; he was a big part of the reason we won the January transfer window. Signed him because we didn't much fancy Rob Holding anymore but then we played Rob anyway :-(

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 11:06 AM
He's a midfielder. How anyone thinks he's a defender, is beyond me.

He's like Flamini. He works at full-back so long as he never gets caught actually playing in the full-back position (which Flamini did not, of course). Well-covered on the inside by Senderos and ahead by Reyes; those balls in behind had to be perfect. And they never were, rarely are.

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 11:09 AM

No point defending if you can't score goals. George knew that. #9

IUFG
02-19-2024, 11:13 AM
He's like Flamini. He works at full-back so long as he never gets caught actually playing in the full-back position (which Flamini did not, of course). Well-covered on the inside by Senderos and ahead by Reyes; those balls in behind had to be perfect. And they never were, rarely are.

Flamini, despite not liking the FB position, was better at it than Zinny is imo.

I don't remember the opposition targetting MF like they do OZ

WES
02-19-2024, 11:20 AM
Flamini, despite not liking the FB position, was better at it than Zinny is imo.

We made the CL final with a back four of Eboue Toure Senderos and Flamini :hehe:

Funny ole game :shrug:

7sisters
02-19-2024, 11:33 AM
Well, we're scoring for fun so hard to see Arteta making many changes up front or in midfield.

It’s looking more likely by the week that ESR and Jesus are both crocks and can’t be relied upon across a season. Luxury players, if you will.
Zinny comes close on that score but appears to be more volatile. The longer time passes without playing, he’s going to hurl his toys out the pram. Probably end with him cling filming Arteta’s personal toilet at Colney tbh.

IUFG
02-19-2024, 11:36 AM
We made the CL final with a back four of Eboue Toure Senderos and Flamini :hehe:

one of the 109 games Almunia should never have played in...

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 11:45 AM

They all tried but, as I say, it just didn't work. We were ready for it. Spurs, I think, finally had some joy late on in the experiment.

Peter
02-19-2024, 12:09 PM

In tight areas, he still can't. Although he is getting better.

The difference is not Zinchenko being missing. It is the use of Ben White as an inverted full back on the other side in the last two games. Kiwior is clearly far more comfortable as a conventional left back or centre back. White is adjusting to the role pretty nicely.

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2024, 12:10 PM

The difference is not Zinchenko being missing. It is the use of Ben White as an inverted full back on the other side in the last two games. Kiwior is clearly far more comfortable as a conventional left back or centre back. White is adjusting to the role pretty nicely.
Ben White is a very very useful footballer. Funny how no one really mentions his fee anymore

PSRB
02-19-2024, 12:13 PM
Ben White is a very very useful footballer. Funny how no one really mentions his fee anymore

Whilst his non-selection for England is ridiculous, it's also very helpful for us.

Peter
02-19-2024, 12:15 PM

He really is. Sometimes a big fee can begin to look like an absolute steal over time.

I am stunned we haven't tried him in this role before. It seems perfect for him. Only downside is it reduces Saka's overlap options- but then when you have a right foot as good as his that matters less :-)

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-19-2024, 12:18 PM

And they didn't concede a goal in the knock-outs.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-19-2024, 12:21 PM

Very talented and under-rated footballer. If that pelanty-bottling twunt in a waistcoat can't see it, I hope England get knocked out early. Give Saka, Dec etc more time on the beach.

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2024, 12:34 PM
Whilst his non-selection for England is ridiculous, it's also very helpful for us.

Indeed. Still no idea what the issue was there but he's seems happy to play for us

WES
02-19-2024, 12:59 PM

Well, Zinny being missing has led to a conventional left back and White therefore playing as the inverted full back, both of which have improved the team.

So yes, it is because Zinny is missing. :-)

Peter
02-19-2024, 01:18 PM
Well, Zinny being missing has led to a conventional left back and White therefore playing as the inverted full back, both of which have improved the team.

No. It isn't :-)

Peter
02-19-2024, 01:25 PM
Decent work for our fourth. Should've trusted him earlier last season; he was a big part of the reason we won the January transfer window. Signed him because we didn't much fancy Rob Holding anymore but then we played Rob anyway :-(

Actually, I think we signed him because Arteta didn't fancy Tierney and needed another left footed option in defence.

Peter
02-19-2024, 01:35 PM
No point defending if you can't score goals. George knew that. #9

Surely that makes it even more important?

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2024, 01:50 PM

Ah yes Kiwior is a conventional left back :hehe:

Peter
02-19-2024, 02:00 PM
Ah yes Kiwior is a conventional left back :hehe:

To be fair, that was my wording and I meant 'non inverted' more than conventional.

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2024, 02:02 PM
To be fair, that was my wording and I meant 'non inverted' more than conventional.

Fair enough

Peter
02-19-2024, 02:04 PM
Fair enough

Does he get an assist for the throw in? :-)

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2024, 02:15 PM
Does he get an assist for the throw in? :-)

I hope so - lovely run for the fourth goal as well

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 02:30 PM
Surely that makes it even more important?

Good point.

In my defence, so to speak, I pinched that one from Sir I.V.A. Richards. Cricketers, see. What do they know about football.

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2024, 02:39 PM
Good point.

In my defence, so to speak, I pinched that one from Sir I.V.A. Richards. Cricketers, see. What do they know about football.

Even Denis Compton was less successful than his brother

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 02:42 PM
Even Denis Compton was less successful than his brother

Les was a footballer who played a bit of cricket, as I understand it?

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 02:45 PM
It’s looking more likely by the week that ESR and Jesus are both crocks and can’t be relied upon across a season. Luxury players, if you will.
Zinny comes close on that score but appears to be more volatile. The longer time passes without playing, he’s going to hurl his toys out the pram. Probably end with him cling filming Arteta’s personal toilet at Colney tbh.

Arteta has a personal toilet at Colney? No wonder we can't afford Mbappe.

Peter
02-19-2024, 02:46 PM
I hope so - lovely run for the fourth goal as well

It really is quite incredible how often we are getting behind teams from throw ins. Just shows how easily footballers switch off.

Brilliant work from Arteta and the coaching staff. The last side who carried this much threat from throw ins needed a towel....

Peter
02-19-2024, 02:48 PM
Good point.

He talked a good game, Viv.

Played the odd one here and there as well :-)

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 03:09 PM
He talked a good game, Viv.

Played the odd one here and there as well :-)

Yes. Sadly, not when I was watching. They (the Windians) used to come up to us at Warborough each summer when I was a child; Botham/Foster charity thing.

Peter
02-19-2024, 03:12 PM
Yes. Sadly, not when I was watching. They (the Windians) used to come up to us at Warborough each summer when I was a child; Botham/Foster charity thing.

I think he needed a challenge to rise to. He couldn't be bothered with bowlers who weren't good enough to bowl to him :-)

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 03:13 PM
I think he needed a challenge to rise to. He couldn't be bothered with bowlers who weren't good enough to bowl to him :-)

Not very charitable :-\

Peter
02-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Not very charitable :-\

You don't ask Van Gogh to paint your bathroom.

redgunamo
02-19-2024, 03:51 PM
You don't ask Van Gogh to paint your bathroom.

There you are then, that's where he went wrong. Van Gogh was a pauper his whole life.

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2024, 03:55 PM

I'm not sure there were many

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Les was a footballer who played a bit of cricket, as I understand it?
His was a centre half and a wicket keeper - not sure where that leaves him

Also owned the Flask in Highgate - one of my favourite pubs *

*yes not a short list I admit