redgunamo
02-11-2024, 03:54 PM
we could've won 1-0.

Funny old game :-\

Peter
02-11-2024, 03:57 PM
we could've won 1-0.

If we could finish properly we would have been 7-0 up at half time.

redgunamo
02-11-2024, 04:05 PM

It is not basketball. Goals are intended to be a rare and valuable commodity.

Peter
02-11-2024, 04:14 PM

Sorry, but that is largely West Ham's fault. We tried to keep them in it in the first half but they were simply not having it.

redgunamo
02-11-2024, 04:40 PM
Sorry, but that is largely West Ham's fault. We tried to keep them in it in the first half but they were simply not having it.

Fair point. They were so bad even Declan Rice scored.

PSRB
02-12-2024, 09:27 AM

:nod: Saka should have had 4 before half-time

Pat Vegas
02-12-2024, 09:48 AM
:nod: Saka should have had 4 before half-time

wasn't sure if he was going to score than penalty.

He's quite good a pens though doesn't seem a spectaular taker.

Luis Anaconda
02-12-2024, 10:13 AM
I knew you would still be miserable :)

PSRB
02-12-2024, 10:16 AM
I wasn't confident. I thought Ode was our penalty taker.

WES
02-12-2024, 10:23 AM
I wasn't confident. I thought Ode was our penalty taker.

And on another note, the boy Havertz did not put a foot wrong that I recall.

Looks a very different player than 10 matches ago or so.

PSRB
02-12-2024, 10:25 AM
And on another note, the boy Havertz did not put a foot wrong that I recall.

Looks a very different player than 10 matches ago or so.

I thought exactly that. Will barely get a mention but thought he was superb.

Pat Vegas
02-12-2024, 10:26 AM
I thought exactly that. Will barely get a mention but thought he was superb.

He just seems sad all the time. don't think I ever seen him smile.

Pat Vegas
02-12-2024, 10:28 AM
Fair point. They were so bad even Declan Rice scored.

I am really enjoying that one of our big money signings is working very well. (Biggest big money)

Also he's great on set pieces.

PSRB
02-12-2024, 10:28 AM
He just seems sad all the time. don't think I ever seen him smile.

He definitely smiled when Gabriel scored. I assume the cameraman thought he'd scored.

Peter
02-12-2024, 12:37 PM
He definitely smiled when Gabriel scored. I assume the cameraman thought he'd scored.

He would have scored the first goal if Saliba hadn't got in the way. Nice little duck for the chance Trossard had saved. Touch inside for the fourth goal. Overall, he had a decent game.

Odegaard enjoyed himself as well. Hoping he finds his best form in the next few months as he hasn't quite been himself for a while.

Peter
02-12-2024, 12:40 PM
we could've won 1-0.

Last time we won away by this margin Ted Drake scored all 7. :-)

We never really replaced Ted....

Luis Anaconda
02-12-2024, 12:45 PM
Last time we won away by this margin Ted Drake scored all 7. :-)

We never really replaced Ted....

Joe Baker, John Radford, Frank Stapleton, Alan Smith - we've had a few decent number 9s (and I'm not even going to mention Wright, Henry and Bendtner)

Peter
02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Joe Baker, John Radford, Frank Stapleton, Alan Smith - we've had a few decent number 9s (and I'm not even going to mention Wright, Henry and Bendtner)

You should be ashamed of yourself, LA.

You didn't mention Niall Quinn :(

Or Chamakh....

IUFG
02-12-2024, 12:55 PM

World's greatest striker :cloud9:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/05/06/article-1177833-04D2B940000005DC-627_468x695.jpg

redgunamo
02-12-2024, 01:52 PM

Or Chamakh....

Or Paul Mariner, the most under-appreciated of them all. Perhaps that's why :homer:

7sisters
02-12-2024, 01:54 PM

Message report to the WSL

PSRB
02-12-2024, 02:00 PM
Or Paul Mariner, the most under-appreciated of them all. Perhaps that's why :homer:

Lee Chapman, the ****test of them all.

Peter
02-12-2024, 02:16 PM
Lee Chapman, the ****test of them all.

I was too young to fully appreciate how **** he was.

By the time I was old enough to judge we had signed Alan Smith :-)

Luis Anaconda
02-12-2024, 02:52 PM

Or Chamakh....

It was Chamakh or Nic

You are right about Quinn though though shocking omission (and MacDonald and Sunderland deserve a nod)

Peter
02-12-2024, 02:55 PM
It was Chamakh or Nic

You are right about Quinn though though shocking omission (and MacDonald and Sunderland deserve a nod)

Quinny was a good lad. Bumped into him in the Green Gate on West Green Road one night. I was too scared to go over and say hello because he was sat with Liam Brady!

I loved Quinny. He actually became a thoroughly respectable centre forward when he got a bit older.

Luis Anaconda
02-12-2024, 02:59 PM
Quinny was a good lad. Bumped into him in the Green Gate on West Green Road one night. I was too scared to go over and say hello because he was sat with Liam Brady!

I loved Quinny. He actually became a thoroughly respectable centre forward when he got a bit older.

Yep - very good player with City and Sunderland. Once again though George saw an upgrade in Smith and was proved right (see also Seaman/Lukic and Marwood/Limpar)

Funny you should say that about Brady - remember seeing him in a restaurant on Upper Street. Wanted to say hi but didn't have the cojones

redgunamo
02-12-2024, 03:06 PM
Yep - very good player with City and Sunderland. Once again though George saw an upgrade in Smith and was proved right (see also Seaman/Lukic and Marwood/Limpar)

Funny you should say that about Brady - remember seeing him in a restaurant on Upper Street. Wanted to say hi but didn't have the cojones

And the back four he inherited was decent too, but he went and put together an even better one.

redgunamo
02-12-2024, 03:06 PM

Centre-forwards everywhere. What a time to be alive.

redgunamo
02-12-2024, 03:08 PM
Message report to the WSL

Oh, right. Did they actually win the superbowl then?

Peter
02-12-2024, 03:13 PM

Brady was like a God. No way I was going over there. Also, couple of guys trying to have a quiet pint. You have to respect that :-)

Alan Smith was a wonderful centre forward.

Peter
02-12-2024, 03:14 PM
Centre-forwards everywhere. What a time to be alive.

Goalkeepers used to catch the ball. It was great :-)

redgunamo
02-12-2024, 03:55 PM
Goalkeepers used to catch the ball. It was great :-)

Good point. I KNEW there was something wrong with David Raya.

Luis Anaconda
02-12-2024, 04:43 PM
Brady was like a God. No way I was going over there. Also, couple of guys trying to have a quiet pint. You have to respect that :-)

Alan Smith was a wonderful centre forward.

No need for the like imo

And Smudger is the best proper No 9 I've seen in an Arsenal shirt.

7sisters
02-12-2024, 05:40 PM
No need for the like imo

Surely, John Radford ? Did we leave out SuperMac ?

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2024, 08:59 AM
Surely, John Radford ? Did we leave out SuperMac ?

Never saw Radford or Supermac live - just before my time, 7. Would still say Smith was better - two titles as top scorer both times. I do think Radford is underrated though - deserves a lot more credit. Still only three players with more goals for Arsenal

Peter
02-13-2024, 09:09 AM
Never saw Radford or Supermac live - just before my time, 7. Would still say Smith was better - two titles as top scorer both times. I do think Radford is underrated though - deserves a lot more credit. Still only three players with more goals for Arsenal

On his day, Adebayor could be totally unplayable. He didn't have nearly enough days.

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2024, 09:12 AM
On his day, Adebayor could be totally unplayable. He didn't have nearly enough days.

So could Chamakh - though he only had one day

Peter
02-13-2024, 09:27 AM
So could Chamakh - though he only had one day

We are not mentioning, Giroud......?

PSRB
02-13-2024, 09:29 AM

Hugely underrated.

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2024, 09:34 AM
Hugely underrated.

Cost us the league

Peter
02-13-2024, 09:42 AM
Cost us the league

Great hair.

PSRB
02-13-2024, 09:50 AM
Cost us the league

Meh, Henry cost us the CL and Auba the EL.

redgunamo
02-13-2024, 10:15 AM

Yes, indeed. In fact, everyone's new favourite Nigerian (I cannot spell his name) brings to mind La Bayor at his best. There's an awful lot to be said for simple, straightforward, high-powered running, especially from a BLU.

redgunamo
02-13-2024, 10:16 AM
No need for the like imo

He's my favourite. I love everything about him.

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2024, 10:59 AM
Meh, Henry cost us the CL and Auba the EL.

I wasn't being too serious :hehe: It is Fasching after all. But I do think that chronic lack of pace stopped him being a truly great striker

PSRB
02-13-2024, 11:06 AM
I wasn't being too serious :hehe: It is Fasching after all. But I do think that chronic lack of pace stopped him being a truly great striker

His link up play was tremendous though. A scorer of great goals, etc, etc

Fash
02-13-2024, 11:14 AM

How about Fashing?

IUFG
02-13-2024, 11:26 AM

I remember his debut - Sunderland? - missed an absolute sitter from 6 or 7 yards. I said "The new Chamakh" to my mate...

iirc - he did hit the bar from miles out in that same match.

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2024, 11:43 AM
How about Fashing?

Great day to mark a legend - much better than that Pat Vegas bloke

Peter
02-13-2024, 01:03 PM

He wasn't any use behind a defence and there were certain types of goals he didn't score. Made him a 20 goal a season man rather than a 30.

But he was a very good all round footballer.

Not in Alan Smith's class, obviously :-)

Peter
02-13-2024, 01:04 PM
He's my favourite. I love everything about him.

His goal in the cup winners cup final. That is one of my favourite goals and one of my favourite nights.

IUFG
02-13-2024, 01:18 PM
His goal in the cup winners cup final. That is one of my favourite goals and one of my favourite nights.

A lovely finish and a proper backs to the wall display... :cloud9:

What a team they had, though :yikes:

Peter
02-13-2024, 01:27 PM
A lovely finish and a proper backs to the wall display... :cloud9:

What a team they had, though :yikes:

The only European trophy we have won in my lifetime. That is pretty shocking :-(

IUFG
02-13-2024, 01:55 PM
The only European trophy we have won in my lifetime. That is pretty shocking :-(

The Galatasaray one irks me more than the Barca one.

It's Galatasaray, lads...

FFS! :mad:

Peter
02-13-2024, 01:57 PM
The Galatasaray one irks me more than the Barca one.

It's Galatasaray, lads...

FFS! :mad:

Valencia :-(

7sisters
02-13-2024, 06:29 PM
Valencia :-(

Yeah, that was painful. Hot on the heals of that Trevor Brooking effort too :(

pjlincs
02-13-2024, 06:52 PM
A striker such as Olly G who can play in goal when your keeper is blue-carded would be an asset.

Otherwise: Raya gets blue card. Outfield player subbed, Rambo comes on. 10 mins later Raya returns. Either he or Ramsdale then plays outfield or if any subs and windows left, one of them is subbed for an outfield player.

redgunamo
02-14-2024, 10:46 AM
A striker such as Olly G who can play in goal when your keeper is blue-carded would be an asset.

Otherwise: Raya gets blue card. Outfield player subbed, Rambo comes on. 10 mins later Raya returns. Either he or Ramsdale then plays outfield or if any subs and windows left, one of them is subbed for an outfield player.

We would end up with three goalkeepers on the pitch.

:-|

redgunamo
02-14-2024, 10:48 AM

Elland Road, cup replay :cloud9:

WES
02-14-2024, 01:06 PM

You're thinking about it too much, pj.

First of all given that blue cards are for cynical play or dissent the chances of a keeper getting one are pretty small. Other than taking a player down when he's through on goal, when was the last time a keeper got a yellow? They're pretty rare.

And I'm sure the rule would be nothing more than if the keeper gets a blue the team has to elect an outfield player to take the 10 min off.

PSRB
02-14-2024, 01:15 PM

First of all given that blue cards are for cynical play or dissent the chances of a keeper getting one are pretty small. Other than taking a player down when he's through on goal, when was the last time a keeper got a yellow? They're pretty rare.

And I'm sure the rule would be nothing more than if the keeper gets a blue the team has to elect an outfield player to take the 10 min off.

Saka on Sunday.... :-)

Peter
02-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Elland Road, cup replay :cloud9:

When was that?

Peter
02-14-2024, 01:17 PM

Wow! Your last sentence.... :-)

Peter
02-14-2024, 01:19 PM

Keepers regularly get yellow cards for time wasting.

WES
02-14-2024, 01:36 PM
Saka on Sunday.... :-)

Which part of 'when he's through on goal' did you not understand, PRSB? :-)

WES
02-14-2024, 01:37 PM
Keepers regularly get yellow cards for time wasting.

I'm unconvinced that time wasting would get a blue card

redgunamo
02-14-2024, 04:05 PM
When was that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_QSYA9yHk

Peter
02-15-2024, 08:26 AM
Which part of 'when he's through on goal' did you not understand, Peter? :-)

Apart from the fact that I didn't write that, good point. :-)

WES
02-15-2024, 08:38 AM
Apart from the fact that I didn't write that, good point. :-)

What are you on about, PRSB? :hide:

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2024, 09:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_QSYA9yHk

I was there :love:

Peter
02-15-2024, 09:19 AM
What are you on about, PRSB? :hide:

On a serious note, is time wasting not a cynical attempt to stop play?

When a team is really out to run the clock down the goalkeeper is often the worst culprit.

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2024, 09:37 AM

When a team is really out to run the clock down the goalkeeper is often the worst culprit.

Jens used to be a master of it :)

WES
02-15-2024, 09:55 AM

Yes, but not sure it will be seen as significant as someone getting cynically hacked down in a good position.

I'd be surprised if time wasting was a blue card.

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2024, 12:25 PM
Yes, but not sure it will be seen as significant as someone getting cynically hacked down in a good position.

I'd be surprised if time wasting was a blue card.

As would I. I am a (cautious) supporter of it. But they do need to clarify certain things

Peter
02-15-2024, 12:32 PM

Well that is a yellow card currently (unless it is Rodri). Introducing another layer of complexity seems dangerous- is a mistimed tackle cynical?

I tell you what I would do, specifically in home games. I'd have the ball boys wait until opponents were about to take a throw and then lob another ball on the pitch :-)

redgunamo
02-15-2024, 01:25 PM
As would I. I am a (cautious) supporter of it. But they do need to clarify certain things

Right. Like, how many blue cards lead to a yellow or a red.

redgunamo
02-16-2024, 05:13 AM
I was there :love:

I saw it on Match Of The Day. Proper cup tie.

PSRB
02-16-2024, 09:10 AM
I saw it on Match Of The Day. Proper cup tie.

Can't believe BBC & ITV have lost the FA cup rights, I despise TNT Sport

redgunamo
02-16-2024, 10:03 AM

Shocking seens. Who's got the rights in Europe?

pjlincs
02-16-2024, 11:19 AM

TNT to share with a free-to-air broadcaster that is tba.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/15/tnt-sports-agrees-four-year-deal-for-live-fa-cup-coverage-from-2025-26-season