PDA

View Full Version : HouseWimb

Pat Vegas
01-30-2024, 11:26 AM
I think I want to move,

Where will I get the bast value for money without it being a dump?

Need to be able to get to London once a week and that doesn't cost the earth. ideally an hour or 1 hour and a half away.

In Essex now. quite like it apart from Traffic choas when the Dartford crossing closes.

Also like the idea of the Seaside.

pjlincs
01-30-2024, 11:56 AM
We're a cheap county (Lincolnshire) and have fast trains up to London King's Cross.

Unfortunately it's cheap for a reason. Several reasons actually!

WES
01-30-2024, 12:10 PM
We're a cheap county (Lincolnshire) and have fast trains up to London King's Cross.

Unfortunately it's cheap for a reason. Several reasons actually!

How long to LKC on the train, p?

Why is it cheap up there? What's the most happening town in Lincolnshire? Thinking of downgrading...

pjlincs
01-30-2024, 12:45 PM
How long to LKC on the train, p?

Why is it cheap up there? What's the most happening town in Lincolnshire? Thinking of downgrading...

1hr 10mins from Grantham. A lot of ex-Londoners live near Peterborough (Cambridgeshire) which is 50 mins to KX.

There is no 'happening' in Lincolnshire, it is primarily rural and populated by fen folk.

We are close to Grantham which is ok for getting most things but, regardless of tonight's result, we will pop across to Nottingham on Saturday (<1hr drive). Leicester and Lincoln also within an hour. As is Peterborough but I only go there for the dentist as I'm too scared to change the practice I've been going to for almost 50 years. Am on only my third actual dentist as an adult, he's young with local ties so should hopefully see me out.

For our rare trips to the Emirates we drive to C*ckfosters and get the tube.

Apart from Stamford most of Lincolnshire would be a downgrade. Seaside-wise the north Norfolk coast is easily accessible.

Stop by when you're passing on the A1 :driving::yikes:

Peter
01-30-2024, 02:03 PM
1hr 10mins from Grantham. A lot of ex-Londoners live near Peterborough (Cambridgeshire) which is 50 mins to KX.

There is no 'happening' in Lincolnshire, it is primarily rural and populated by fen folk.

We are close to Grantham which is ok for getting most things but, regardless of tonight's result, we will pop across to Nottingham on Saturday (<1hr drive). Leicester and Lincoln also within an hour. As is Peterborough but I only go there for the dentist as I'm too scared to change the practice I've been going to for almost 50 years. Am on only my third actual dentist as an adult, he's young with local ties so should hopefully see me out.

For our rare trips to the Emirates we drive to C*ckfosters and get the tube.

Apart from Stamford most of Lincolnshire would be a downgrade. Seaside-wise the north Norfolk coast is easily accessible.

Stop by when you're passing on the A1 :driving::yikes:

I have to go to Peterborough fairly regularly for work. It is ****.

Not as bad as Kings Lynn. But still ****

WES
01-30-2024, 02:13 PM
I have to go to Peterborough fairly regularly for work. It is ****.

Not as bad as Kings Lynn. But still ****

Hmmm - I'm looking for a nice place with good shops and restaurants, friendly people, not too far from London and that is a lot cheaper than Surrey.

:rubchin:

PSRB
01-30-2024, 02:18 PM
Hmmm - I'm looking for a nice place with good shops and restaurants, friendly people, not too far from London and that is a lot cheaper than Surrey.

Wish I'd never left Surrey, need a lottery win to afford to move back now :-(

WES
01-30-2024, 02:20 PM
Wish I'd never left Surrey, need a lottery win to afford to move back now :-(

Where were you, PRSB?

Pat Vegas
01-30-2024, 02:31 PM

Essex :hide:

Peter
01-30-2024, 02:32 PM

Peterborough has a stunning Norman cathedral. And probably one of the best Travelodges I have ever stayed in :-)

But it is ****ing grim.

Colchester is ok. Dirt cheap, 47 minutes to Liverpool Street. 20 minutes to the sea.

Peter
01-30-2024, 02:32 PM
Essex :hide:

Some parts of Essex are lovely.

Pat Vegas
01-30-2024, 02:40 PM

I really like it actually. Though I am in Thurrock, I was just looking at Colchester. even maybe Shoeburyness, Not much there but that's quite appealing to me.

WES
01-30-2024, 02:58 PM

Saffron Walden :nod:

PSRB
01-30-2024, 03:36 PM
Where were you, PRSB?

Farnham before moving to London. Should also never have let the ex-wife have the flat for what she paid me. :mad:

WES
01-30-2024, 03:57 PM
Farnham before moving to London. Should also never have let the ex-wife have the flat for what she paid me. :mad:

Oooh very nice, lovely town centre Farnham. Used to be quite the live music scene round there as I recall.

I'm about 30 min drive away, south of Guildford in the Surrey Downs.

PSRB
01-30-2024, 04:14 PM
Oooh very nice, lovely town centre Farnham. Used to be quite the live music scene round there as I recall.

I'm about 30 min drive away, south of Guildford in the Surrey Downs.

Was down at Christmas to see my Dad and sister's family. Too many of the great pubs gone and all become quaint restaurants or coffee shops.

John Bunnell
01-30-2024, 05:00 PM
I think I want to move,

Need to be able to get to London once a week and that doesn't cost the earth. ideally an hour or 1 hour and a half away.

In Essex now. quite like it apart from Traffic choas when the Dartford crossing closes.

If you love Essex and the seaside go check out Jaywick or Clacton on Sea you'll LOVE it.

Peter
01-30-2024, 07:54 PM
If you love Essex and the seaside go check out Jaywick or Clacton on Sea you'll LOVE it.

Holland on Sea. A mile up the coast from Clacton. Lovely sandy beach and nobody there because there are no facilities.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
01-30-2024, 08:25 PM
I think I want to move,

We're in Margate. 1'30" to London on the HS train. Less to Stratford. Cheap. Sea. Old skool downmarket Chav and Dave cockney day out vibe meets Hipsters from London.

Best mate here is a DFL {Down from London} Gooner craftsman.

Our street - neighbours DFL professionals, creatives, academics.

Did I mention it was so cheap even we could buy somewhere here?

John Bunnell
01-30-2024, 09:12 PM
Holland on Sea. A mile up the coast from Clacton. Lovely sandy beach and nobody there because there are no facilities.

Just have to reiterate Jaywick was a joke. It's absolutely horrid. Googled Holland on Sea it sure does look pleasant. It's very close to Clacton tho which is a bit grim.

Imo Kent is where it's at. Broadstairs and Ramsgate both lovely. Spent many years there visiting my ex's family.

Peter
01-30-2024, 09:40 PM
Just have to reiterate Jaywick was a joke. It's absolutely horrid. Googled Holland on Sea it sure does look pleasant. It's very close to Clacton tho which is a bit grim.

Imo Kent is where it's at. Broadstairs and Ramsgate both lovely. Spent many years there visiting my ex's family.

I know it was a joke :-) Clacton is grim.

I wouldn't live in Holland on Sea but it is a very pleasant and quiet few hours on the beach. Harwich is quite nice as well, but a bit out of the way.

IUFG
01-31-2024, 12:39 PM
I really like it actually. Though I am in Thurrock, I was just looking at Colchester. even maybe Shoeburyness, Not much there but that's quite appealing to me.

I collected a dog from Shoeburyness a few years ago.

From around the area where there is a 'Spoons nextdoor to an Asda. It was as grim as you'd imagine it to be.

Thankfully, the dog is great...

IUFG
01-31-2024, 12:43 PM
If you love Essex and the seaside go check out Jaywick

Ah, Jaywick.

The home of those strange, pre-cast, pebbledashed bungalows.

I'm sure there must be a nice part...

Sir C
01-31-2024, 12:48 PM
I know it was a joke :-) Clacton is grim.

I wouldn't live in Holland on Sea but it is a very pleasant and quiet few hours on the beach. Harwich is quite nice as well, but a bit out of the way.

Flying out of Clacton once a local advised me that in the event of an engine failure on take off I’d be safer crashing into the sea than landing in Jaywick :hehe:

IUFG
01-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Flying out of Clacton once a local advised me that in the event of an engine failure on take off I’d be safer crashing into the sea than landing in Jaywick :hehe:

"It's not Dubai. But it's not that bad." :hehe:

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/life-englands-most-deprived-town-3365462

Pat Vegas
02-01-2024, 09:55 AM
I collected a dog from Shoeburyness a few years ago.

From around the area where there is a 'Spoons nextdoor to an Asda. It was as grim as you'd imagine it to be.

Thankfully, the dog is great...

I quite like the beach there though there is a part you can't go on as its MOD. not to be confused with modd.

I think I went to that pub as Harvester was fully booked (covid times) :hehe:

Leaning towards Colchester currently I like what I can get for my budget.

John Bunnell
02-01-2024, 10:27 AM
Ah, Jaywick.

The home of those strange, pre-cast, pebbledashed bungalows.

I'm sure there must be a nice part...

Watch the documentary on it on 5 called "Benefits by the Sea: Jaywick"

Absolutely mental place.

Peter
02-01-2024, 11:13 AM
I quite like the beach there though there is a part you can't go on as its MOD. not to be confused with modd.

Colchester is actually not a bad place to live. It is just far enough away from London to require its own facilities and there is a fair bit to do. Good arts centre, decent art gallery, shops if you like that sort of thing. Some of the pubs are pretty decent.

There are parts of it to be avoided at all costs. Be careful which parts you look at :-)

Pat Vegas
02-01-2024, 03:34 PM
Colchester is actually not a bad place to live. It is just far enough away from London to require its own facilities and there is a fair bit to do. Good arts centre, decent art gallery, shops if you like that sort of thing. Some of the pubs are pretty decent.

There are parts of it to be avoided at all costs. Be careful which parts you look at :-)

any areas that are instant no go's? I am seeing some 'bargains' but very wary of anything so cheap. well relatively speaking.

IUFG
02-01-2024, 04:22 PM

The Parsons Barn, the pub is called, apparently.

Colchester? A bit stabby in parts...

Peter
02-01-2024, 04:25 PM
any areas that are instant no go's? I am seeing some 'bargains' but very wary of anything so cheap. well relatively speaking.

Avoid Greenstead. And there are other pockets that are iffy but you can kind of tell by looking at the housing......

The town itself is fine. I have never had any trouble here at all.

WES
02-01-2024, 05:21 PM
Avoid Greenstead. And there are other pockets that are iffy but you can kind of tell by looking at the housing......

The town itself is fine. I have never had any trouble here at all.

Note to Pat, Peter lives there :-)

pjlincs
02-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Note to Pat, Peter lives there :-)

I was born there! Believe we moved three months later. Recall visits to maternal grandmother, she lived near the station, Mile End Road. And taking her to Clacton where we had donkey rides and Coke with ice-cream in it, happy days!

Have driven past a few times en route to/from Harwich. Perhaps should go visit??!!

7sisters
02-01-2024, 07:13 PM

It’s a squaddie town. Granted it’s not Croydon, or Jaywick but it has a reputation.
The castle park’s a no go after dusk.

Peter
02-02-2024, 08:53 AM
It’s a squaddie town. Granted it’s not Croydon, or Jaywick but it has a reputation.
The castle park’s a no go after dusk.

I understand there used to be a bit of bother with the army lads years ago but they stopped them going out in the piss long before I moved here. There is never any trouble with them.

Castle Park is fine. Same as any other city park after dark- nobody in there but youths drinking and taking drugs. That's what parks are for :-)

Pat Vegas
02-02-2024, 08:56 AM
I understand there used to be a bit of bother with the army lads years ago but they stopped them going out in the piss long before I moved here. There is never any trouble with them.

Castle Park is fine. Same as any other city park after dark- nobody in there but youths drinking and taking drugs. That's what parks are for :-)

Thats good to know as I've seen some very nice places right next to the park.

Peter
02-02-2024, 09:26 AM
Thats good to know as I've seen some very nice places right next to the park.

They do have a lot of concerts in the park over the summer and they are pretty annoying.

But yeah, that area of town is absolutely fine. I'm not sure I would fancy living that close to town just because of parking and noise.

There are two train stations as well- one in the centre of town and one further out. The further out one is the main line from Norwich to London and is a fair walk from town- about 15-20 minutes. Doesn't bother me as I don't mind a walk but worth thinking about if you are going to be commuting fairly regularly.

7sisters
02-02-2024, 04:31 PM
They do have a lot of concerts in the park over the summer and they are pretty annoying.

But yeah, that area of town is absolutely fine. I'm not sure I would fancy living that close to town just because of parking and noise.

There are two train stations as well- one in the centre of town and one further out. The further out one is the main line from Norwich to London and is a fair walk from town- about 15-20 minutes. Doesn't bother me as I don't mind a walk but worth thinking about if you are going to be commuting fairly regularly.

There’s also quite a nice hospital. in the event you d get clattered :)

Peter
02-02-2024, 04:52 PM
There’s also quite a nice hospital. in the event you d get clattered :)

When I first moved here the NHS was quite good, compared to London.

It is ****ing hopeless now. I'm lucky, I never get ill. Those that do are pretty ****ed.

pjlincs
02-04-2024, 10:24 PM
Jaywick in the news:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68197109

7sisters
02-04-2024, 10:58 PM
Jaywick in the news:

But.. hang on

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/24085011.colchester-named-one-exciting-cities-visit/

John Bunnell
02-05-2024, 08:03 AM
Jaywick in the news:

Awful. American XL's the pet choice of chavs.

Pat Vegas
02-05-2024, 09:07 AM

sounds good to me, definitely high on my list

IUFG
02-05-2024, 11:10 AM
But.. hang on

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/24085011.colchester-named-one-exciting-cities-visit/

not an adjective I'd associate with the place, tbh

IUFG
02-05-2024, 11:19 AM
sounds good to me, definitely high on my list

Essex - Manningtree? Nice little town.

You've got the River Stour, almost the sea, and a mainline into Liverpool Street.