PDA

View Full Version : Nice 2 week break in Dubai for the squad

PSRB
01-08-2024, 02:59 PM
Probably very good timing for this. Reset and go again.

Not sure about Onana from Everton....is that what we need?

7sisters
01-08-2024, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=PSRB;4274468]Probably very good timing for this. Reset and go again.

Not sure about Onana from Everton....is that what we need?[/

We convinced ourselves that Havertz was what we needed, so what could possibly go wrong ?

Luis Anaconda
01-08-2024, 03:25 PM

Probably right about the break but would rather we were playing this weekend. Need something to do.

I like Onana - would be a quality addition. I don't think the player we need is available. Very unconvinced by Toney particularly at the asking price. Not sure what forward (deadly striker) is available (and affordable)

Peter
01-08-2024, 03:30 PM
Probably right about the break but would rather we were playing this weekend. Need something to do.

I like Onana - would be a quality addition. I don't think the player we need is available. Very unconvinced by Toney particularly at the asking price. Not sure what forward (deadly striker) is available (and affordable)

Completely agree. I like Onana, I don't think Toney is right for us at all. And I dont really see where the money is coming from.

Saka and Odegaard badly need a break. I am still not willing to accept that our current forwards are incapable of delivering goals as they did last season. I think Arteta needs to change their mindset. Everything is too cautious and hesitant at the moment.

PSRB
01-08-2024, 03:52 PM
Completely agree. I like Onana, I don't think Toney is right for us at all. And I dont really see where the money is coming from.

Saka and Odegaard badly need a break. I am still not willing to accept that our current forwards are incapable of delivering goals as they did last season. I think Arteta needs to change their mindset. Everything is too cautious and hesitant at the moment.

That was the most infuriating thing about Havertz yesterday, always wanted to take an extra touch! Yes, Saka skyed that chance but at least he took it on (and was his weaker foot)

WES
01-08-2024, 04:15 PM
That was the most infuriating thing about Havertz yesterday, always wanted to take an extra touch! Yes, Saka skyed that chance but at least he took it on (and was his weaker foot)

Havertz should never, ever, ever play up front. Shirley if we learned anything from his days at Chelsea it would be that.

Don't understand how Arteta could possibly think that would work out better than Eddie up front.

Shame because I really think he has been much better in midfield recently.

redgunamo
01-08-2024, 07:43 PM
It was a one-off. Anyway, they're not going to do that EVERY season. At the risk of perhaps repeating myself, that's what strikers are for. Their disposition is different :-\

Peter
01-08-2024, 10:59 PM
It was a one-off. Anyway, they're not going to do that EVERY season. At the risk of perhaps repeating myself, that's what strikers are for. Their disposition is different :-\

Strikers are old hat. Nobody even bothers breeding them these days. We don't need them.

What we need is more midfielders. Clever chaps who can pick a pass. :-)

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 05:06 AM
It's sad to say, however you're quite correct. And a fat lot of good it's done us!

Indeed, things are so bad that the only decent team in ANY league is always the one managed by Pep Guardiola, he seems to be the only one that accepts that certain things in football HAVE to happen, HAVE to be that way, simply because the game itself demands it.

It may not make sense, even to HIM, given his dreams of playing eleven tricky midgets every week, but enough good people around him know and understand and have convinced him that it simply doesn't work that way. Which is why he has always been sure to have at least one of the world's best goal-scoring number nines in his squad, all the while successfully gaslighting weak-minded football folk that all those victories and trophies is about tiki-taka. *******o:-(

Strikers are old hat. Nobody even bothers breeding them these days. We don't need them.

What we need is more midfielders. Clever chaps who can pick a pass. :-)

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 05:19 AM
In January, buggering off for a couple of weeks in the sunshine? Always a good idea. Lovely.

WES
01-09-2024, 08:06 AM
It's sad to say, however you're quite correct. And a fat lot of good it's done us!

Indeed, things are so bad that the only decent team in ANY league is always the one managed by Pep Guardiola, he seems to be the only one that accepts that certain things in football HAVE to happen, HAVE to be that way, simply because the game itself demands it.

It may not make sense, even to HIM, given his dreams of playing eleven tricky midgets every week, but enough good people around him know and understand and have convinced him that it simply doesn't work that way. Which is why he has always been sure to have at least one of the world's best goal-scoring number nines in his squad, all the while successfully gaslighting weak-minded football folk that all those victories and trophies is about tiki-taka. *******o:-(

Correct - even with his ultimate masterpiece (Barcelona with Messi/Xavi/Iniesta) I lost count of the times that they got to 70 minutes 0-0 with 90% possession. Then Messi scores a wonder goal, the opposition come out and it finishes 3 or 4 nil and we have to hear about tiki-taka blah blah blah.

So it was inevitable that Haaland ended up there :-\

WES
01-09-2024, 08:12 AM

The irony is that Havertz was bought with the idea of getting more goals from midfield, I think :-\

And yes, we've just gone through a bad patch in front of goal, these things happen. We have too much talent going forward to not score goals and then all of this will be forgotten.

Meanwhile, three bad results and the usual characters are losing their sh1t on here and dragging out the cliches they so desperately want to be true so that they can be proven to be 'correct'.

I'd be far more worried about losing Saliba for an extended period of time than a run of games where we created loads but didn't take our chances.

Pat Vegas
01-09-2024, 09:05 AM

it's good timing for the current players and mangement but overall probably bad timing for the club :hide:

Peter
01-09-2024, 10:57 AM
The irony is that Havertz was bought with the idea of getting more goals from midfield, I think :-\

And yes, we've just gone through a bad patch in front of goal, these things happen. We have too much talent going forward to not score goals and then all of this will be forgotten.

Meanwhile, three bad results and the usual characters are losing their sh1t on here and dragging out the cliches they so desperately want to be true so that they can be proven to be 'correct'.

I'd be far more worried about losing Saliba for an extended period of time than a run of games where we created loads but didn't take our chances.

Hmmmm.... mainly agree, although if this prompts Arteta to spend some time considering our tactical balance, it will have been worthwhile.

Peter
01-09-2024, 11:02 AM

World class goalscorers are all very well for those who can afford them, financially and tactically.

Number 9s, well that is a different question. For some time now the world's best goalscorers have made their living as inside forwards. Liverpool's still does.

7sisters
01-09-2024, 11:56 AM

I’m still struggling to think of any world class side in history where a gangly string bean strongly featured, outside of central defence.
They’re not built for it. They lack mobility and it takes an age for their brains to trigger signals to their feet, see ?
You want lots of 5ft 10 mesomorphs. That’s just the way of things :)

WES
01-09-2024, 12:15 PM
I’m still struggling to think of any world class side in history where a gangly string bean strongly featured, outside of central defence.
They’re not built for it. They lack mobility and it takes an age for their brains to trigger signals to their feet, see ?

:cough: Patrick Vieira :cough:

:-)

Luis Anaconda
01-09-2024, 12:34 PM

Zidane 6ft1 and Steffan Effenberg 6ft 2 might disagree

Berbatov, Zlatan - also fairly useful and 6ft plus. Dennis was 6ft. Kanu 6ft 4 :bow: Were the invincible world-class? Yaya Toure 6ft 2

(I did get the irony in the original post, btw, but made me think of which players have "quick/good feet for a big man")

Luis Anaconda
01-09-2024, 12:43 PM
Zidane 6ft1 and Steffan Effenberg 6ft 2 might disagree

Berbatov, Zlatan - also fairly useful and 6ft plus. Dennis was 6ft. Kanu 6ft 4 :bow: Were the invincible world-class? Yaya Toure 6ft 2

(I did get the irony in the original post, btw, but made me think of which players have "quick/good feet for a big man")

Robert Prosinečki and Zvonomir Boban - both 6ft. Also Niall Quinn - ok, I'll stop now

Peter
01-09-2024, 01:02 PM
Robert Prosinečki and Zvonomir Boban - both 6ft. Also Niall Quinn - ok, I'll stop now

Quinny could play once he had grown up a bit.

Henry was 6 ft 2. He could play a bit :-)

Peter
01-09-2024, 01:10 PM

As half our goals come from set pieces we kind of need a bit of height at the moment.

Luis Anaconda
01-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Quinny could play once he had grown up a bit.

Henry was 6 ft 2. He could play a bit :-)

I was going to include him, but Sir C would point out that he was an athlete not a footballer. Look at him being an athlete here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_re9m2ATso

Pires was also 6ft 1 - the gangling neanderthal

Luis Anaconda
01-09-2024, 01:13 PM
As half our goals come from set pieces we kind of need a bit of height at the moment.

Kiwior know where the goal is

Peter
01-09-2024, 01:19 PM
I was going to include him, but Sir C would point out that he was an athlete not a footballer. Look at him being an athlete here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_re9m2ATso

Pires was also 6ft 1 - the gangling neanderthal

If Henry hadn't been such a good footballer he would have scored more goals.

That's one for red to unpick :-)

Luis Anaconda
01-09-2024, 01:48 PM

good shout, p

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:04 PM
Agreed. Even Ian Wright was a #8. There's so much narrow thinking everywhere. Very sad.

World class goalscorers are all very well for those who can afford them, financially and tactically.

Number 9s, well that is a different question. For some time now the world's best goalscorers have made their living as inside forwards. Liverpool's still does.

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:07 PM
Thomas Muller? He's a decent size.

Peter
01-09-2024, 03:08 PM
Agreed. Even Ian Wright was a #8. There's so much narrow thinking everywhere. Very sad.

Goals from wide areas indicate narrow thinking? :-)

I'd also remind you that it takes longer to do things quickly.

Pat Vegas
01-09-2024, 03:12 PM

ooh I like this, By having no money I am a rich man.

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:12 PM
That's quite right. Alan Smith and Dennis and Robert Pires too.

Which just goes to show you; whilst almost all footballers can play football; very few footballers can score over 300 goals.

Pat Vegas
01-09-2024, 03:13 PM

Not sure what warm weather training will do,
Ben White tanned more than ever. and they will all be freezing cold when they get back :-( I still am and been back a while

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:14 PM
Yes, you're no doubt rich in OTHER ways.

ooh I like this, By having no money I am a rich man.

Peter
01-09-2024, 03:18 PM
That's quite right. Alan Smith and Dennis and Robert Pires too.

Which just goes to show you; whilst almost all footballers can play football; very few footballers can score over 300 goals.

Telling Dennis Bergkamp that he didn't score enough goals is like telling Led Zeppelin they didn't have enough hit singles.

Pat Vegas
01-09-2024, 03:18 PM
Yes, you're no doubt rich in OTHER ways.

I drive through puddles to splash people on purpose? Oh hang on thats a different Rich.

Pat Vegas
01-09-2024, 03:21 PM
Telling Dennis Bergkamp that he didn't score enough goals is like telling Led Zeppelin they didn't have enough hit singles.

They never got a number 1 in the charts though. (only abroad)

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:22 PM
Yes, it's rationalising, making a virtue of not being able to get your hands on a decent centre-forward.

Peter
01-09-2024, 03:23 PM
They never got a number 1 in the charts though. (only abroad)

Well they didnt release singles. They didn't want to. That was for other bands.

Dennis was the same. Others can score goals. If he focuses on scoring them himself, who is going to create them? Surely he needs to leave something for the others to do :-)

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:26 PM
Oh, no. He scored plenty. I meant, he would've scored even more had he been a worse player.

Anyway, I've always been a Maiden-man. Hit singles are overrated.

Peter
01-09-2024, 03:27 PM
Yes, it's rationalising, making a virtue of not being able to get your hands on a decent centre-forward.

It isn't as if there are undiscovered Ted Drakes knocking about here and there. Easier to turn a footballer into a centre forward than the other way around :-)

Peter
01-09-2024, 03:28 PM
Oh, no. He scored plenty. I meant, he would've scored even more had he been a worse player.

Anyway, I've always been a Maiden-man. Hit singles are overrated.

Indeed. Iron Maiden had to get a lot worse before finally getting a number one :-)

7sisters
01-09-2024, 03:34 PM
Havertz is 6ft 4 and would blow away in a strong wind. Henry had balance

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:34 PM
Being out in the sunshine is always nice. But I see what you mean; it's not as though it's a lads' jolly in Spain, is it. You know, Benidorm, booze, birds, belly-dancing and biryani.

All the wives are going too, for one thing
:-\

Not sure what warm weather training will do,
Ben White tanned more than ever. and they will all be freezing cold when they get back :-( I still am and been back a while

7sisters
01-09-2024, 03:36 PM
6ft 1 is only gangly if a chap weighs in at 12 stone. You know this..

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:39 PM
Like Chelsea, I guess, we want the version of him that played in Germany. The one even Matheus said could win the balon d'Or one day.

Havertz is 6ft 4 and would blow away in a strong wind. Henry had balance

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 03:42 PM
That's Thomas Muller, I reckon.
A lanky streak of piss, we would call him. Perhaps not QUITE tall enough for that.

6ft 1 is only gangly if a chap weighs in at 12 stone. You know this..

7sisters
01-09-2024, 03:45 PM
That's Thomas Muller, I reckon.
A lanky streak of piss, we would call him. Perhaps not QUITE tall enough for that.

To add. Harland and Zlatan are around the 6’4 mark but both could run through a submarine door.
Neither tick the gangly box. Crouch on the other hand 🤔

7sisters
01-09-2024, 03:56 PM
Like Chelsea, I guess, we want the version of him that played in Germany. The one even Matheus said could win the balon d'Or one day.

There’s an overall familiarity breeds contempt vibe for me. It’s unreasonable of course even his brighter moments are clouded as it went in off his knee or ankle or neck.
The worm turned for me with that feeble, misdirected header at the weekend I’m afraid. He met the cross with his chin in his chest and thereafter he was dead to me. That and the ridiculous celebrations with the hands flapping at his ears and the tongue.
If he were a horse, and there is a resemblance, I’d have ordered the blanket and rifle I’m afraid.

IUFG
01-09-2024, 05:09 PM
The worm turned for me with that feeble, misdirected header at the weekend I’m afraid. He met the cross with his chin in his chest and thereafter he was dead to me.

Aye, the one 5 mins before half-time?

Eyes closed too, probably. A piss-poor effort.

Despite that, I don't think he played too badly :hide:

Peter
01-09-2024, 05:42 PM
Being out in the sunshine is always nice. But I see what you mean; it's not as though it's a lads' jolly in Spain, is it. You know, Benidorm, booze, birds, belly-dancing and biryani.

All the wives are going too, for one thing
:-\

A few days out on the sauce might do them some good. This trip sounds ****ing dull :-(

Peter
01-09-2024, 05:43 PM
Aye, the one 5 mins before half-time?

Eyes closed too, probably. A piss-poor effort.

Despite that, I don't think he played too badly :hide:

He really didn't play badly. We've seen him playing badly and it doesnt look like that :-)

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 06:22 PM
Agree 100%.

A few days out on the sauce might do them some good. This trip sounds ****ing dull :-(

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 06:40 PM
Jamie Vardy and Miroslav Klose would be two fairly recent examples of terrific strikers (who were initially missed by their national federations and clubs).

It's like hounds; if you want to go hare-coursing you have to get hare-coursing dogs. You don't buy a golden retriever and train it to run fast!

It isn't as if there are undiscovered Ted Drakes knocking about here and there. Easier to turn a footballer into a centre forward than the other way around :-)

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 06:48 PM
:nod: Worst record they ever did make.

Indeed. Iron Maiden had to get a lot worse before finally getting a number one :-)

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 06:49 PM
Thing is, everyone knows he CAN play.

There’s an overall familiarity breeds contempt vibe for me. It’s unreasonable of course even his brighter moments are clouded as it went in off his knee or ankle or neck.
The worm turned for me with that feeble, misdirected header at the weekend I’m afraid. He met the cross with his chin in his chest and thereafter he was dead to me. That and the ridiculous celebrations with the hands flapping at his ears and the tongue.
If he were a horse, and there is a resemblance, I’d have ordered the blanket and rifle I’m afraid.

7sisters
01-09-2024, 06:55 PM
Jamie Vardy and Miroslav Klose would be two fairly recent examples of terrific strikers (who were initially missed by their national federations and clubs).

It's like hounds; if you want to go hare-coursing you have to get hare-coursing dogs. You don't buy a golden retriever and train it to run fast!

A feller, who know’s these things, once told me that a retriever comes to you half trained, whereas a Springer leaves you half trained.
Having owned a welshie for nine years, I can honestly say that was sage advice . :-\

redgunamo
01-09-2024, 07:08 PM
Don't really know gun dogs but that makes some sense. They smirk at you when you miss an easy shot.

A feller, who know’s these things, once told me that a retriever comes to you half trained, whereas a Springer leaves you half trained.
Having owned a welshie for nine years, I can honestly say that was sage advice . :-\