PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate the dedication that Elneny has applied the the bench/treatment table over

7sisters
12-12-2023, 05:17 PM
the decades but can’t understand why Smith Rowe isn’t starting in such a meaningless fixture ?

redgunamo
12-12-2023, 05:58 PM
Our #10 is often injured.

Anyway, it's not meaningless; it's the Champions League!

the decades but can’t understand why Smith Rowe isn’t starting in such a meaningless fixture ?

Peter
12-12-2023, 06:34 PM

I would think the fact that he has only had one training session probably featured in the decision.

Bit annoyed he didn't give one of the young defenders a game. Do Gabriel and Saliba really need to be there?

I assume this Bakayoko geezer is already valued at ****ing fortunes? He looks pretty great.

Peter
12-12-2023, 06:35 PM
Our #10 is often injured.

Anyway, it's not meaningless; it's the Champions League!

The game is worth nothing other than money.

7sisters
12-12-2023, 07:25 PM

Very strange subs by Arteta. It’s a great opportunity to give the kids a run out and he throws on the big guns ?
I really can’t understand the rationale

Peter
12-12-2023, 07:36 PM
Very strange subs by Arteta. It’s a great opportunity to give the kids a run out and he throws on the big guns ?
I really can’t understand the rationale

****ing annoying, to be honest. Declan Rice at centre back.

redgunamo
12-12-2023, 07:47 PM
Gents, please be serious. It's the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE; ALL the players want to play in it. That's why we want them, it's why they join us.

redgunamo
12-12-2023, 07:56 PM
That's true too, of course. Nothing wrong with that. That's why they don't really mind coming on for just a few seconds at the end; they get "appearance" money.

Also, especially in this competition, the exposure is priceless. The bigger domestic leagues are alright but people tend to concentrate on their own team whereas the whole of Europe pays attention on CL nights.

Peter
12-13-2023, 09:52 AM
That's true too, of course. Nothing wrong with that. That's why they don't really mind coming on for just a few seconds at the end; they get "appearance" money.

Also, especially in this competition, the exposure is priceless. The bigger domestic leagues are alright but people tend to concentrate on their own team whereas the whole of Europe pays attention on CL nights.

A dead rubber is a dead rubber, even when stuck on the end of a beautiful pencil.

redgunamo
12-13-2023, 12:00 PM
Very good. That's true for supporters perhaps, but not for clubs and managers.

And as for the players; they've done the hard work, dealt with all the pressure and the hard games and now they can just relax and enjoy it. Get an easy win maybe, some cheap points and cheap goals and people suddenly want them rested! That simply doesn't happen at any level in any sport.

I gather nowadays, the young people call it "stat-padding", a most insulting, derogatory term, in my view. As though Gerd Muller scored all of his thousand goals against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Brazil.

Your best players demand to play EVERY game, ESPECIALLY the easy ones with no stress. Sod the stiffs and the kids. Their time will come, if they're any good.

A dead rubber is a dead rubber, even when stuck on the end of a beautiful pencil.

Peter
12-13-2023, 12:06 PM
Very good. That's true for supporters perhaps, but not for clubs and managers.

And as for the players; they've done the hard work, dealt with all the pressure and the hard games and now they can just relax and enjoy it. Get an easy win maybe, some cheap points and cheap goals and people suddenly want them rested! That simply doesn't happen at any level in any sport.

I gather nowadays, the young people call it "stat-padding", a most insulting, derogatory term, in my view. As though Gerd Muller scored all of his thousand goals against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Brazil.

Your best players demand to play EVERY game, ESPECIALLY the easy ones with no stress. Sod the stiffs and the kids. Their time will come, if they're any good.

Saka looked pretty pissed off on the bench.

redgunamo
12-13-2023, 06:49 PM
Well, quite. And Eddie even scored his very first Champions League goal. A big night for him.

Saka looked pretty pissed off on the bench.

7sisters
12-13-2023, 08:48 PM
Well, quite. And Eddie even scored his very first Champions League goal. A big night for him.

Interesting that Pep saw fit to throw on the kids in a similar situation in tonight’s CL dead rubber.
Both rewarded his decision with a goal a piece.
Just sayin :shrug:

redgunamo
12-14-2023, 08:28 AM
Fair point. Can't really explain that one, except to say that their game was, on paper, at least, easier than ours.

Interesting that Pep saw fit to throw on the kids in a similar situation in tonight’s CL dead rubber.
Both rewarded his decision with a goal a piece.
Just sayin :shrug:

Peter
12-14-2023, 09:56 AM
Fair point. Can't really explain that one, except to say that their game was, on paper, at least, easier than ours.

Actually, I think I can explain it. The kids he fielded were forwards. He went with three first team(ish) defenders and two senior midfielders.

Our young lads would have been playing at full back. Arteta doesn't like gambling at the back.

redgunamo
12-14-2023, 02:17 PM
True. Mikel is a good man.

Also PSV are in decent form at home. Take the piss in THAT game and they could've battered us.

Manchester city's opponents, on the other hand; FC Whereverthe****, Wifipassword Wanderers, are thoroughgoing rubbish this term in the CL. Total filth. Pep is basically a coward for not playing even MORE kids.

Actually, I think I can explain it. The kids he fielded were forwards. He went with three first team(ish) defenders and two senior midfielders.

Our young lads would have been playing at full back. Arteta doesn't like gambling at the back.

Peter
12-14-2023, 02:20 PM
True. Mikel is a good man.

Also PSV are in decent form at home. Take the piss in THAT game and they could've battered us.

Manchester city's opponents, on the other hand; FC Whereverthe****, Wifipassword Wanderers, are thoroughgoing rubbish this term in the CL. Total filth. Pep is basically a coward for not playing even MORE kids.

But it is the champions league. They want to play :-)

redgunamo
12-14-2023, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to say it out loud, so to speak, but perhaps the fact that they've just won the thing factors into it; more flexibility. Basically they can do what they want.

But it is the champions league. They want to play :-)

Peter
12-14-2023, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to say it out loud, so to speak, but perhaps the fact that they've just won the thing factors into it; more flexibility. Basically they can do what they want.

The novelty is wearing off?

Sooner or later, everyone realises that the Champions League is a bit of a **** competition. And by the looks of the new format, it is about to get even worse.

Still, there's a few quid involved :-)