Peter
11-08-2023, 11:24 AM
or is Saliba ****ing incredible?

He barely seems to break a sweat :-)

Sir C
11-08-2023, 11:27 AM

He'll be off to Man City next year, no doubt. Or Newcastle. Or Spurs if they get oil money.

Modern football is ****e.

Peter
11-08-2023, 11:32 AM
He'll be off to Man City next year, no doubt. Or Newcastle. Or Spurs if they get oil money.

That is ok. We should get a decent price for him. 20-30 million, maybe :-)

WES
11-08-2023, 11:32 AM

No, it's not just you, I have been saying for some time that he is the best centre half in the PL. But it's entirely possible that should be amended to the best in Europe.

PSRB
11-08-2023, 11:37 AM

I suspect Madrid as part of their next version of the Galaticos

Peter
11-08-2023, 11:37 AM
No, it's not just you, I have been saying for some time that he is the best centre half in the PL. But it's entirely possible that should be amended to the best in Europe.

Best centre back we've seen at Arsenal since Tony Adams.....

WES
11-08-2023, 12:00 PM
Best centre back we've seen at Arsenal since Tony Adams.....

Better than Tony Adams imo

:hide:

Pat Vegas
11-08-2023, 12:06 PM
That is ok. We should get a decent price for him. 20-30 million, maybe :-)

We'll loan him :-)

Peter
11-08-2023, 12:07 PM

I'm not sure such a thing is possible.

Peter
11-08-2023, 12:07 PM
We'll loan him :-)

Then pay him to leave? :-)

PSRB
11-08-2023, 12:10 PM

Will be, reads the game superbly, pace and supremely confident in his own ability and will only improve. He's 22, ffs, ridicules

WES
11-08-2023, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure such a thing is possible.

:rolleyes: you'll be nattering on about Bergkamp next Peter...

Peter
11-08-2023, 12:30 PM
Will be, reads the game superbly, pace and supremely confident in his own ability and will only improve. He's 22, ffs, ridicules

Different game these days, different job. Adams would struggle to be an Arsenal centre back these days.

Peter
11-08-2023, 12:32 PM
:rolleyes: you'll be nattering on about Bergkamp next Peter...

Not with you, I won't :-)

I was ridiculed a few weeks back for suggesting that Saka would have got in the invincibles line up ahead of Ljungberg. Some people are weird :-)

PSRB
11-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Different game these days, different job. Adams would struggle to be an Arsenal centre back these days.

Imagine the fun we'd have with our famous offside trap and VAR :-\

Luis Anaconda
11-08-2023, 02:48 PM
Not with you, I won't :-)

I was ridiculed a few weeks back for suggesting that Saka would have got in the invincibles line up ahead of Ljungberg. Some people are weird :-)
Given that he was born in 2001 it would have been a stretch. Even SW didn't hate Ljungberg that much.

I do actually think Ljungberg is very underrated by some though - he was playing with three geniuses yet held his own, certainly in terms of the big games. Although Saka is undoubtedly a better player (even Freddie would agree, I reckon)

WES
11-08-2023, 02:53 PM
Given that he was born in 2001 it would have been a stretch. Even SW didn't hate Ljungberg that much.

I do actually think Ljungberg is very underrated by some though - he was playing with three geniuses yet held his own, certainly in terms of the big games. Although Saka is undoubtedly a better player (even Freddie would agree, I reckon)

Bergkamp to Freddie during the run-in in 2002 :love:

Luis Anaconda
11-08-2023, 02:55 PM

Bolton away :love:

PSRB
11-08-2023, 03:30 PM

Bergkamp to Freddie vs Juve :-)

Peter
11-08-2023, 04:58 PM

Agreed. In fact, I think Freddie did say exactly that at some point!

I think Saka is a little bit underrated. He is very simple and unflashy, no stepovers and bull**** with him. People don't drool over his play the way they do with the two Martins but I think he is our best player. When you see the way every opponents turns up with a plan to stop Saka (kick or double up, or bit of both).

Freddie knew how to play alongside three geniuses. May sound silly, but it isn't that easy :-)

Luis Anaconda
11-08-2023, 05:02 PM

I think Saka is a little bit underrated. He is very simple and unflashy, no stepovers and bull**** with him. People don't drool over his play the way they do with the two Martins but I think he is our best player. When you see the way every opponents turns up with a plan to stop Saka (kick or double up, or bit of both).

Freddie knew how to play alongside three geniuses. May sound silly, but it isn't that easy :-)

Completely agree - Saka will be our best player for years (hopefully and if the buggers don't kick him out).

Peter
11-08-2023, 07:31 PM
Completely agree - Saka will be our best player for years (hopefully and if the buggers don't kick him out).

And I know it is only a bonus but he seems like such a genuinely nice lad as well :-)

redgunamo
11-08-2023, 10:14 PM
Great point. Bukayo so often put up great numbers, as the youngsters say, while being our only REAL danger man, game after game, speaks to his quality.

PSRB
11-09-2023, 08:39 AM
Great point. Bukayo so often put up great numbers, as the youngsters say, while being our only REAL danger man, game after game, speaks to his quality.

I think Martinelli is better...or certainly has a higher ceiling. Delighted we have both though.

Peter
11-09-2023, 10:12 AM
I think Martinelli is better...or certainly has a higher ceiling. Delighted we have both though.

I'm not convinced we are getting the best out of Martinelli. He looks capable of scoring constantly but we dont seem to get him into scoring positions often enough. His finishing is brilliant.

PSRB
11-09-2023, 10:14 AM
I'm not convinced we are getting the best out of Martinelli. He looks capable of scoring constantly but we dont seem to get him into scoring positions often enough. His finishing is brilliant.

Quite, I thought we should have put Trossard on the wing with Martinelli through the middle last night. They did seem to switch around in the 2nd half but I'd like to see that at the weekend.

redgunamo
11-09-2023, 10:22 AM
He's not getting the best out of himself. Everyone knows he wants to be a facão, cutting inside and shooting but he needs to mix it up better; occasionally look for the pass FIRST rather than as an afterthought when his path to goal is blocked.

He'll sort it.

Peter
11-09-2023, 10:44 AM
He's not getting the best out of himself. Everyone knows he wants to be a facão, cutting inside and shooting but he needs to mix it up better; occasionally look for the pass FIRST rather than as an afterthought when his path to goal is blocked.

He'll sort it.

Too often, when he receives in wide positions there is no first pass. We are not getting options close to him early enough. Last night he had that full back on toast and was beating him to the line every time, so that is fine. In other games if we leave him on his own he is effectively out of the game.

Peter
11-09-2023, 10:45 AM
Quite, I thought we should have put Trossard on the wing with Martinelli through the middle last night. They did seem to switch around in the 2nd half but I'd like to see that at the weekend.

I don't want to keep blaming him but it is Havertz. We have a passenger in a key central role and it is ruining much of what we do.

pjlincs
11-09-2023, 11:26 AM

Yup, so would I as I said a little while back that Trossard should be ahead of Eddie. The flexibility that offers was evident last night, if not fully exploited. Am resigned to possibly not seeing Odegaard and Saka at the weekend. Hope Mikey doesn't do too much resting / rotation. Is last game before (yet another) international break so there's no great need to.

Pat Vegas
11-09-2023, 11:28 AM
I don't want to keep blaming him but it is Havertz. We have a passenger in a key central role and it is ruining much of what we do.

I was watching carefully last night. Rice seems to avoid passing it to Havertz if he can.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
11-09-2023, 12:18 PM

Haven't seen so many perfectly timed, telescopic legs from behind tackles since peak PV4.

The guy's a Godsend.

Btw, notice that Benjamin had a good game now he's ditched the bleached hair? I only saw Bacary have one woeful game for us {live at the ground} and it was the one time he didn't have his funky dreads. BW4 had two poor games with the silly hair. Now he's getting back to his best. {Though I wish he'd just leathered his shot as opposed to trying to place it in the top corner like Saka or Fabio.} Hit it with your laces, Ben.

11-09-2023, 12:25 PM

But like Parlour with Overmars {Or Zinny and the back 3}, Freddie allowed us to shuffle across into a 3 man MF when Bobby moved up into a modern wide forward role.

Yet he was also able to score **** loads of vital goals with perfectly times late runs into the box, often on the end of some DB10 magic like that game at Highbury against some Wops or other. {Juve?}

I think that was {hopefully still is} the hope for Kai. Can do GX's MF work in terms of turnovers and duels won, but also arrive late to score and to be a far post target man for headed crosses. Gutted he didn't score last night. Just reckon he needs a good game with a couple of goals and/or assists and then he'll have the monkey off his back. Maybe we should ask Tripitaka?

Luis Anaconda
11-09-2023, 12:26 PM
Haven't seen so many perfectly timed, telescopic legs from behind tackles since peak PV4.

The guy's a Godsend.

Btw, notice that Benjamin had a good game now he's ditched the bleached hair? I only saw Bacary have one woeful game for us {live at the ground} and it was the one time he didn't have his funky dreads. BW4 had two poor games with the silly hair. Now he's getting back to his best. {Though I wish he'd just leathered his shot as opposed to trying to place it in the top corner like Saka or Fabio.} Hit it with your laces, Ben.

Sunderland at home 3-2 - Sagna had a mare. For some reason I remember it well (were we not drinking beforehand Sir C?). There was a Sunderland player who played as if he had never seen a football before. McShane possibly

11-09-2023, 12:34 PM

I think the same. In the same way that BW, Ødin and Saka combine on the right, Gabby knew what he was doing with GX able to swap with him and/or Zinny. That's why, despite still hoping Kai becomes an all time great, I'd rather Fabio or ESR in the 10 {"left 8"} role.

ESR's played LW and 10 and can switch with Gabby easily. Fabio could, too. Basically, like GX last year, he needs the same player in that role every game so they can develop and understanding.

11-09-2023, 12:36 PM
Sunderland at home 3-2 - Sagna had a mare. For some reason I remember it well (were we not drinking beforehand Sir C?). There was a Sunderland player who played as if he had never seen a football before. McShane possibly

That was the one when he'd got rid of his dreads? Maybe our right backs are like Samson. Don't remember Lee Dixon or Paddy Rice changing their hairstyles and then playing badly.

Luis Anaconda
11-09-2023, 12:48 PM
That was the one when he'd got rid of his dreads? Maybe our right backs are like Samson. Don't remember Lee Dixon or Paddy Rice changing their hairstyles and then playing badly.

Yeah. Samson [sic] was a left back though :) Although Sagna did wear 3

Sir C
11-09-2023, 01:30 PM

Drinking? Us?

Yes.

11-09-2023, 01:39 PM
Yeah. Samson [sic] was a left back though :) Although Sagna did wear 3

Chapeau, LA.

Though he was undone by Matteus Rose, not Delilah.

You've got me worried now, though. What happened to the last young, black, French player who many thought would become an all-time great who chose to wear no.2 instead of a more normal number for his position?

I'd like Willy and BW to swap shirts, and ideally then take the 5 when TP retires or leaves.

One of the many reasons I'd love ESR to fulfil his potential is that we could then have 7-8-9-10-11 in the attacking W of Herbie's {the original, not our won} W-M formation.

We've had lots of 1;2-5-6-3;4 as DM over the years. But as we're only now playing a front 3 with two inside forwards behind them, we've never had the 7-11 numbers all in the right position. If BW becomes 2, Big Willy 5, and Timber takes the 3 next year, we're basically there, but with Dec as 41*, not 4.

*Dec would either be the number 1 "4" in the world, or ten times better than any other "4" plus one for luck.

Maravilloso Marvo
11-09-2023, 01:53 PM
Ahhhh, look at all you lovely boys talking about your football and your footballers. This thread has made me feel all nostalgic about how Awimb used to be. Well done all, keep up the good work!

Luis Anaconda
11-09-2023, 02:23 PM
Chapeau, LA.

Though he was undone by Matteus Rose, not Delilah.

You've got me worried now, though. What happened to the last young, black, French player who many thought would become an all-time great who chose to wear no.2 instead of a more normal number for his position?

I'd like Willy and BW to swap shirts, and ideally then take the 5 when TP retires or leaves.

One of the many reasons I'd love ESR to fulfil his potential is that we could then have 7-8-9-10-11 in the attacking W of Herbie's {the original, not our won} W-M formation.

We've had lots of 1;2-5-6-3;4 as DM over the years. But as we're only now playing a front 3 with two inside forwards behind them, we've never had the 7-11 numbers all in the right position. If BW becomes 2, Big Willy 5, and Timber takes the 3 next year, we're basically there, but with Dec as 41*, not 4.

*Dec would either be the number 1 "4" in the world, or ten times better than any other "4" plus one for luck.

At least you didn't mention the abomination that was Gallas "10". :shudder: Nelson Vivas in 7 was a bit weird as well

PSRB
11-09-2023, 02:25 PM
At least you didn't mention the abomination that was Gallas "10". :shudder: Nelson Vivas in 7 was a bit weird as well

What the **** was that about? Lets never mention that again.

IUFG
11-09-2023, 02:46 PM
What the **** was that about? Lets never mention that again.

Besmirching the Bergkamp shirt, psrb, that's what.

The dirty, dirty chelsea/tottenham fvcker.

PSRB
11-09-2023, 03:00 PM
Besmirching the Bergkamp shirt, psrb, that's what.

The dirty, dirty chelsea/tottenham fvcker.

Should be redacted from anything related to Arsenal.

11-09-2023, 03:01 PM

I think I'd blanked that from my memory, like that test in 2006.

Allowing the Chavs to tap up Cashley and then just taking Gallas plus 5 mil is when it all started to go wrong for AW. Though we really should have paid Cashley what he was worth. Bit like AW refusing to pay more than 1 mil for a GK, until he bought that be-hatted Chelski reject when we could have kept Sir Ches.

Please let Kai become a GG, not a Gallas, Cech, Willian't etc.

Jorgy's been a decent buy for that money, btw. Gives experience and we have the option of next year without a silly, long-term contract if he loses form. Given TP's injuries and Kai's struggles, Jorgy and Dec together for tough matches is great. Jorgy makes those around him play better, the shot for the goal via the bar and the back of Emi's head was one of the highlights of last season. And God10 would have been proud of that pass to Saka for the first last night.

If the ages were reversed, £65m for Jorgy and £12m for Kai would look about right. Please Ganpati, let Kai fulfil the vast potential he has.

Peter
11-09-2023, 03:41 PM
I think the same. In the same way that BW, Ødin and Saka combine on the right, Gabby knew what he was doing with GX able to swap with him and/or Zinny. That's why, despite still hoping Kai becomes an all time great, I'd rather Fabio or ESR in the 10 {"left 8"} role.

ESR's played LW and 10 and can switch with Gabby easily. Fabio could, too. Basically, like GX last year, he needs the same player in that role every game so they can develop and understanding.

Basically, yeah! Xhaka tied all of that together and Havertz isnt doing it.

11-09-2023, 05:24 PM
Basically, yeah! Xhaka tied all of that together and Havertz isnt doing it.

Yup. Who'da thunk we'd all end up wishing GX was still with us? If we'd kept GX, not bought Kai, had a fit Timber and had £65m to spend in Jan after trying GX, ESR, Fabio, Zinny and Dec in the left 8 role to see what would be the best use of the money, we'd be in a better position.

I pray to God that Kai comes good, ESR, TP5, Jesus and Timber all get and stay fit, Fabio keeps improving and fulfilling his potential and Eddie proves worthy of the No.14.