PDA

View Full Version : Old Skool AWIMB poll: FA Cup win or CL semi-final?

WES
11-03-2023, 08:26 AM
Assuming that the FA Cup win came with going out easily in the round of 16 in the CL.

CL semi for me :-)

PSRB
11-03-2023, 09:08 AM
Assuming that the FA Cup win came with going out easily in the round of 16 in the CL.

FA Cup win, always take a trophy

pjlincs
11-03-2023, 09:29 AM
FA Cup win.

And league double obvs without the CL distraction!!

Pat Vegas
11-03-2023, 09:47 AM

I think Arteta will field a weak team and we'll be out early.
It's a shame he really needs to win something soon imo to match all the over hype.

Luis Anaconda
11-03-2023, 09:57 AM

So you preferred the 2009 season in which we were humiliated by Manchester United in the Champions League semi to the 2017 season when we beat Man City and Chelsea to win the FA Cup. You big weirdo

redgunamo
11-03-2023, 10:15 AM
Those FA Cup finals at Wembley (and in Wales) are completely priceless. Almost brings a tear to the eye just thinking about them.

Peter
11-03-2023, 10:52 AM

I'll take the CL semi but to be honest I would take signs of general progress over a cup win.

We've won the FA Cup too much in recent years. It is boring! I like it when we beat Hull, that was fun :-)

WES
11-03-2023, 10:57 AM
So you preferred the 2009 season in which we were humiliated by Manchester United in the Champions League semi to the 2017 season when we beat Man City and Chelsea to win the FA Cup. You big weirdo

Well no, but I was thinking more of a semi final against Real Madrid and Martinelli scoring a late winner to give us a 2-1 win. Then going to the Bernabeu being 90 min away from the final.

Would I look forward to that game more than an FA Cup final against Hull? Yes I would.

And in terms of recruiting players going forward it would be a big help. The FA Cup, not so much

Peter
11-03-2023, 11:00 AM
Well no, but I was thinking more of a semi final against Real Madrid and Martinelli scoring a late winner to give us a 2-1 win. Then going to the Bernabeu being 90 min away from the final.

Would I look forward to that game more than an FA Cup final against Hull? Yes I would.

And in terms of recruiting players going forward it would be a big help. The FA Cup, not so much

Worth noting Arteta has already won the FA Cup. It was a bit boring.

Luis Anaconda
11-03-2023, 12:41 PM

I'd probably agree tbh but there is still something nice about having another trophy. I'm still proud I saw my team in a Champions League final even though we lost. Can't say the same about FA Cups (apart from 2001 when we morally won - cheating Scouse ****s )

Pat Vegas
11-03-2023, 01:20 PM
Worth noting Arteta has already won the FA Cup. It was a bit boring.

weird empty stadium season :-(

7sisters
11-03-2023, 01:33 PM

I’ll take the FA Cup. We’re cursed in the CL. Years of under achievement with Wenger has left me scarred :(

Peter
11-03-2023, 01:36 PM
I’ll take the FA Cup. We’re cursed in the CL. Years of under achievement with Wenger has left me scarred :(

No! We have to win it. Don't care when, don't care how, as long as it is before Spurs!

Pat Vegas
11-03-2023, 01:36 PM

I think we should have got 2 CL wins under Wenger.
at least 1. The year Porto won was there for the taking.which ironically started the Mourinho era at Chelsea.

Peter
11-03-2023, 01:38 PM
I think we should have got 2 CL wins under Wenger.
at least 1. The year Porto won was there for the taking.which ironically started the Mourinho era at Chelsea.

The year we lost at Anfield was the worst for me. Apart from the final, obviously :-(

Pat Vegas
11-03-2023, 01:52 PM
The year we lost at Anfield was the worst for me. Apart from the final, obviously :-(

Totally robbed on that one. :shout: Also Diaby was bloody amazing
Also the van Persie sending off against Barcelona was a crime. :shout:

Peter
11-03-2023, 02:03 PM

Oh, god! I'd forgotten about the Van Persie one :-(

WES
11-03-2023, 04:13 PM

Abou Diaby was an unbelievably talented player.

Criminal that we never got to see what he was capable of because of injuries. I seem to recall a CL game inTurkey maybe around that time when he was a joy to watch as well.

Message reported to 2020. I know.

PSRB
11-03-2023, 04:21 PM

Criminal that we never got to see what he was capable of because of injuries. I seem to recall a CL game inTurkey maybe around that time when he was a joy to watch as well.

****ing Sunderland clogger!!

Here's one, would you give up the Invincibles (and still win the league) for the 2004 CL?

WES
11-03-2023, 04:28 PM

Here's one, would you give up the Invincibles (and still win the league) for the 2004 CL?

Ooooooooooooooooh good call PRSB!

f*ck me that's a tough one :rubchin:

Probably. :hide:

WES
11-03-2023, 04:32 PM

I just watched that 'penalty' against Kolo again.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Peter
11-03-2023, 07:26 PM

100% yes! I have this conversation regularly with a United fan who is haunted by the invincibles :-)

Peter
11-03-2023, 07:27 PM
I just watched that 'penalty' against Kolo again.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

We were brilliant for the first hour of that game.

Peter
11-03-2023, 07:28 PM

He was. Absolutely superb.