PDA

View Full Version : Twenty-two years ago.

redgunamo
07-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Internet café in a Strasbourg department store with a bottle of claret and a plate of rabbit stew, waiting quietly for the wife while she argued loudly over a five-piece suite she wanted; first came across THIS place, just as some poor sap was getting pelters over his outrageous claim we were signing Sol Campbell. An accountant, he said his colleagues in the next office were working with the principals on the deal at that very moment.

Bloke was never seen here again.

:-|

PSRB
07-03-2023, 01:54 PM
Internet café in a Strasbourg department store with a bottle of claret and a plate of rabbit stew, waiting quietly for the wife while she argued loudly over a five-piece suite she wanted; first came across THIS place, just as some poor sap was getting pelters over his outrageous claim we were signing Sol Campbell. An accountant, he said his colleagues in the next office were working with the principals on the deal at that very moment.

Fairly sure I confirmed it on here. Was speaking with a Sun journo and together we put 2 and 2 together and figured out it was unlikely the club would have called a surprise media conference for Richard Wright. I wouldn't say I was ITK, it just made sense

Sir C
07-03-2023, 03:10 PM

22 years?

Noob.

PSRB
07-03-2023, 03:12 PM
22 years?

Noob.

:hehe: 10 characters

WES
07-03-2023, 03:19 PM

A bottle of claret while waiting for the missus to complete her shopping?

Well played, r. :thumbup:

Pat Vegas
07-03-2023, 03:27 PM
Apparently the club have cancelled all tours etc on the 8th of July?

Does this mean Kane will casually walk in behind Arteta?

redgunamo
07-03-2023, 03:48 PM
Right :hehe:

22 years?

Noob.

redgunamo
07-03-2023, 03:57 PM
German, see, so she's never forgiven me for living in France. Particularly THIS BIT of France.

Basically my life is like living in The Iliad; drunk, pissing money up the wall on ****e and fighting.

A bottle of claret while waiting for the missus to complete her shopping?

Well played, r. :thumbup:

WES
07-04-2023, 07:48 AM
German, see, so she's never forgiven me for living in France. Particularly THIS BIT of France.

Basically my life is like living in The Iliad; drunk, pissing money up the wall on ****e and fighting.

That makes me insanely jealous, red :-(

Although there are rumours of my Frenchie company moving me to Paris to work. Should I move to Paris, red?

:rubchin:

PSRB
07-04-2023, 07:51 AM

Although there are rumours of my Frenchie company moving me to Paris to work. Should I move to Paris, red?

I wouldn't, currently

WES
07-04-2023, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't, currently

Meh, that's all overrated imo. I was there last week and you could see the smoke for Nanterre outside of the office.

But Paris was just Paris, no difference at all that I could see. And it would be next March or so anyway.

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2023, 08:33 AM
Meh, that's all overrated imo. I was there last week and you could see the smoke for Nanterre outside of the office.

But Paris was just Paris, no difference at all that I could see. And it would be next March or so anyway.

Paris is full of ****s, wes. You'll be right at home :thumbup:

WES
07-04-2023, 09:02 AM
Paris is full of ****s, wes. You'll be right at home :thumbup:

Like Munich, you mean?

Soooooooooooooo predictable :rolleyes:

redgunamo
07-04-2023, 10:38 AM
If you enjoy cities? Sure. It's no worse than most.

Personally, I'm born and raised in the sticks; I live in the sticks. It's always a treat to go to "town", of course. Just never thought about living in one.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
07-04-2023, 12:09 PM

I thought you were gonna move. I said fück the 16e, stay in the centre on Ligne 1. Much better.

Though where were you when you could see the smoke from Nanterre? I was living 2-3 RER stops north of St Denis in '97 when they were building the SdF. I never had any probs in the suburbs.

It helps being British. When we were staying in St Martin on various occasions in the late-'90s and early-'00s, we were the only white people allowed in the crack house, because they all hated the French so being British, the age-old enemy of the Frogs, meant that we were on their side.

Likewise in Paris, when I was stuck there skint trying to find a way of getting back home, I met some caihras {verlan for racailles - rude boys} on the street. Told them my predicament and they gave me some of their beer and chips. I asked where there was a big supermarket to nick some food and they told me to go to La Defense - this was '93/4 -so I went there the next day and grazed some of stuff from the traiteur counter.

{And at Calais 2-3 days later, a trucker let me come through as his driver's mate. Which also got me into the truckers caff on the boat so got a fry up with some of the money people had nicely given me when I was trying to blag up enough cash for a foot-passenger ticket before my Godsend trucker saved me.}

In short, there's no prob there with the racailles if you're British. Just tell 'em you hate the bourgeois branleurs Parisiens as much as they do.

WES
07-04-2023, 12:16 PM
I thought you were gonna move. I said fück the 16e, stay in the centre on Ligne 1. Much better.

Though where were you when you could see the smoke from Nanterre? I was living 2-3 RER stops north of St Denis in '97 when they were building the SdF. I never had any probs in the suburbs.

It helps being British. When we were staying in St Martin on various occasions in the late-'90s and early-'00s, we were the only white people allowed in the crack house, because they all hated the French so being British, the age-old enemy of the Frogs, meant that we were on their side.

Likewise in Paris, when I was stuck there skint trying to find a way of getting back home, I met some caihras {verlan for racailles - rude boys} on the street. Told them my predicament and they gave me some of their beer and chips. I asked where there was a big supermarket to nick some food and they told me to go to La Defense - this was '93/4 -so I went there the next day and grazed some of stuff from the traiteur counter.

{And at Calais 2-3 days later, a trucker let me come through as his driver's mate. Which also got me into the truckers caff on the boat so got a fry up with some of the money people had nicely given me when I was trying to blag up enough cash for a foot-passenger ticket before my Godsend trucker saved me.}

In short, there's no prob there with the racailles if you're British. Just tell 'em you hate the bourgeois branleurs Parisiens as much as they do.

That was the plan GG but politics has delayed it. Defo want to be near line 1, easy for work and Mrs WES can get around Paris more easily. Problem is the dog, we need to be near some big parks. Colleague is trying to sell me on 17e, between Parc Monceau and entrance to B de B. She says there's loads there and two good parks and Porte Maillot is only about a 10 min walk away.

Me, sans chien, I'd live in 2e, somewhere near Rue Montorgueil, love that area

07-04-2023, 01:22 PM
That was the plan GG but politics has delayed it. Defo want to be near line 1, easy for work and Mrs WES can get around Paris more easily. Problem is the dog, we need to be near some big parks. Colleague is trying to sell me on 17e, between Parc Monceau and entrance to B de B. She says there's loads there and two good parks and Porte Maillot is only about a 10 min walk away.

Me, sans chien, I'd live in 2e, somewhere near Rue Montorgueil, love that area

If you're in the centre, it's only 1km from Notre-Dame to the Jardin du Luxembourg. And it's maybe 20-30 mins from the centre to either Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincennes.

But my mate out there, Merwenn, has a friend, Minou, whose daughter Duell is a dog walker. She looked after Merwenn's dog Kurt when we were in India and we've gone with them to Vincennes when she's been walking other people's dogs.

If you go, I could put you in touch. That way, she could take your hound so it can and let it run 'round a bois to its hearts content and then bring it back for you. You can then just enjoy taking it for a walk along the river bank of an evening, knowing that it's had a pwoppa, knackering walk that day.

They're nice people. Minou's husband used to run a restaurant next to Hotel de Ville. They're not pricey and you'd get mates' rates so it would be a pittance in your terms.

{When Merwenn was with me in India for a month, he rang her after a week or so to tell her he wouldn't be able to keep paying so could she drop him, Kurt the hound, off at his mum's. She said no probs, she'd just do it for the rest of the time for free. That's when they became good mates. Merwenn had met her on the street when they were both walking their dogs and got chatting. So when we went off, he'd asked her to look after Kurt. Basically, when he was back, he was able to recommend her to people and that's how she started. I've gone on a few walks with them and they've been 'round for supper, but when we were in Vincennes, they had 4 or 5 and they were all running 'round buzzing.}

Might be something to think about, Wes. An option, anyway. It would be nice to have a decent dog sitter/walker.

If it works out, you could always buy Merwenn and I a bottle of something quaffable. It will have gone up now, as I've only been back once since lockdown. But during the GJs, Nicholas had this Burgundy called Duc de Belmont that with 20% off was only €6.90. It was ****ing lush - especially as I can't get any cheap but drinkable Burgundies near me in London then Margate.

Just looked. Gone up to €11.90 without the discount. Before it was under 9, 8.60 I think.

https://www.nicolas.com/en/WINES/DUC-DE-BELMONT-RED-2020/p/489603.html

Still great value. First time I got it, I got some truffled saucisson and cheeses and put them out. When I asked M how much he thought the wine cost, he said €14-16. He was well shocked when I said less than 7 incl discount. I bought more when we were with his daughter at uni in Montpellier.

And when I went out for a fortnight just before Xmas 18 months ago - first time since before lockdown - M was shocked when I bought it again. "What? You actually remembered it?" Yeah, I replied, I like Burgundies and you can't get them in the slums I live in in Blighty and this is such good value, why should I risk trying something different?

Anyway, live centre-ville and let Duell walk your dog during the day. Sorted.

WES
07-04-2023, 03:54 PM
If you're in the centre, it's only 1km from Notre-Dame to the Jardin du Luxembourg. And it's maybe 20-30 mins from the centre to either Bois de Boulogne or Bois de Vincennes.

But my mate out there, Merwenn, has a friend, Minou, whose daughter Duell is a dog walker. She looked after Merwenn's dog Kurt when we were in India and we've gone with them to Vincennes when she's been walking other people's dogs.

If you go, I could put you in touch. That way, she could take your hound so it can and let it run 'round a bois to its hearts content and then bring it back for you. You can then just enjoy taking it for a walk along the river bank of an evening, knowing that it's had a pwoppa, knackering walk that day.

They're nice people. Minou's husband used to run a restaurant next to Hotel de Ville. They're not pricey and you'd get mates' rates so it would be a pittance in your terms.

{When Merwenn was with me in India for a month, he rang her after a week or so to tell her he wouldn't be able to keep paying so could she drop him, Kurt the hound, off at his mum's. She said no probs, she'd just do it for the rest of the time for free. That's when they became good mates. Merwenn had met her on the street when they were both walking their dogs and got chatting. So when we went off, he'd asked her to look after Kurt. Basically, when he was back, he was able to recommend her to people and that's how she started. I've gone on a few walks with them and they've been 'round for supper, but when we were in Vincennes, they had 4 or 5 and they were all running 'round buzzing.}

Might be something to think about, Wes. An option, anyway. It would be nice to have a decent dog sitter/walker.

If it works out, you could always buy Merwenn and I a bottle of something quaffable. It will have gone up now, as I've only been back once since lockdown. But during the GJs, Nicholas had this Burgundy called Duc de Belmont that with 20% off was only €6.90. It was ****ing lush - especially as I can't get any cheap but drinkable Burgundies near me in London then Margate.

Just looked. Gone up to €11.90 without the discount. Before it was under 9, 8.60 I think.

https://www.nicolas.com/en/WINES/DUC-DE-BELMONT-RED-2020/p/489603.html

Still great value. First time I got it, I got some truffled saucisson and cheeses and put them out. When I asked M how much he thought the wine cost, he said €14-16. He was well shocked when I said less than 7 incl discount. I bought more when we were with his daughter at uni in Montpellier.

And when I went out for a fortnight just before Xmas 18 months ago - first time since before lockdown - M was shocked when I bought it again. "What? You actually remembered it?" Yeah, I replied, I like Burgundies and you can't get them in the slums I live in in Blighty and this is such good value, why should I risk trying something different?

Anyway, live centre-ville and let Duell walk your dog during the day. Sorted.

Thanks for that GG, much appreciated! :thumbup:

Where are you living now?

07-04-2023, 04:41 PM
Thanks for that GG, much appreciated! :thumbup:

Where are you living now?

I'm in Margate, mate. But after dealing with the funeral of my mum and our best mate, Toby*, I'll prob pop off for a week or two in Paris relatively soon. Are you going to be out there at any point? If so, perhaps we could meet for a drink. A few years ago before lockdown, it was Rennes-AFC in the EL and Sir C told me of a French pub - a French one, not the British Frog+Rosbif near Chatelet - just the other side to Rue Rivoli to me and got them to put the game on. The TV feed died when we were 1-0 up and we lost 3-1. {Won the 2nd leg 3-0, though.}

But if you are going out there, let us know. I could show you that lovely, small {mostly duck} restaurant on Ile St Louis I keep banging on about. Was €19 for 2 courses and €27 for 3, but that was before the Ukr war and inflation. The magret de canard with foie gras and the confit de canard are lush, and the carpaccio de boeuf starter's divine - cut slightly thicker than normal and all the better for it.

Would be great to see you out there, and if we had enough time, I could probably get Duell to pop over so you could meet her. When you know you can live centre ville and the hound will be totally looked after, it makes your house hunting so much easier.

*1st time I was in Paris was winter '93/4. That was with Merwenn's sound system, Les Nomads, the first French free party sound system. But after the Teknivals in summer '95, Toby and I moved to Paris, squatting this Mancunian DJ's large bedsit in the 5e, St Michel, opposite Notre Dame. After travelling the world and Europe in '96, we lived together again with his new French gf, Decibel, in the 13e, Place d'Italie, in '97.

But as I say, it would be great if you could meet Duell. Lovely young lady, not a crusty. She just really likes dogs.

WES
07-06-2023, 07:38 AM
I'm in Margate, mate. But after dealing with the funeral of my mum and our best mate, Toby*, I'll prob pop off for a week or two in Paris relatively soon. Are you going to be out there at any point? If so, perhaps we could meet for a drink. A few years ago before lockdown, it was Rennes-AFC in the EL and Sir C told me of a French pub - a French one, not the British Frog+Rosbif near Chatelet - just the other side to Rue Rivoli to me and got them to put the game on. The TV feed died when we were 1-0 up and we lost 3-1. {Won the 2nd leg 3-0, though.}

But if you are going out there, let us know. I could show you that lovely, small {mostly duck} restaurant on Ile St Louis I keep banging on about. Was €19 for 2 courses and €27 for 3, but that was before the Ukr war and inflation. The magret de canard with foie gras and the confit de canard are lush, and the carpaccio de boeuf starter's divine - cut slightly thicker than normal and all the better for it.

Would be great to see you out there, and if we had enough time, I could probably get Duell to pop over so you could meet her. When you know you can live centre ville and the hound will be totally looked after, it makes your house hunting so much easier.

*1st time I was in Paris was winter '93/4. That was with Merwenn's sound system, Les Nomads, the first French free party sound system. But after the Teknivals in summer '95, Toby and I moved to Paris, squatting this Mancunian DJ's large bedsit in the 5e, St Michel, opposite Notre Dame. After travelling the world and Europe in '96, we lived together again with his new French gf, Decibel, in the 13e, Place d'Italie, in '97.

But as I say, it would be great if you could meet Duell. Lovely young lady, not a crusty. She just really likes dogs.

Sounds good GG, I'm in Paris at the end of July but pretty fully booked that trip. Won't go in August as the Frenchies are all on holiday :hehe:

Starting Sep I'll be there twice a month so let's catch up then at some point. I stay in La Defense but Line 1 Metro is right outside my hotel so can be in the city easily

IUFG
07-06-2023, 09:10 AM
Sounds good GG, I'm in Paris at the end of July but pretty fully booked that trip. Won't go in August as the Frenchies are all on holiday :hehe:

Starting Sep I'll be there twice a month so let's catch up then at some point. I stay in La Defense but Line 1 Metro is right outside my hotel so can be in the city easily

Don't forget your yellow hi-vis :thumbup:

07-06-2023, 05:53 PM

Perfect. Will try to work Sept with you.