PDA

View Full Version : HMRCwimb. I received a bonus last month and have been heavily over taxed accroding to

Pat Vegas
06-20-2023, 09:29 AM
my calculations.

I rang them up and they say it will adjust over the rest of the year but I don't trust them. Nice of them to look after my money for me.

Does this sound correct?

Sir C
06-20-2023, 09:37 AM
my calculations.

I rang them up and they say it will adjust over the rest of the year but I don't trust them. Nice of them to look after my money for me.

Does this sound correct?

With PAYE the assumption is that you'll earn that amount for the rest of the year so you'll initially be taxed accordingly, but when each month's salary subsequently goes through at the lower figure the tax take will be adjusted accordingly.

They're *******s but they generally get it right.

Pat Vegas
06-20-2023, 09:42 AM
With PAYE the assumption is that you'll earn that amount for the rest of the year so you'll initially be taxed accordingly, but when each month's salary subsequently goes through at the lower figure the tax take will be adjusted accordingly.

They're *******s but they generally get it right.

That's very nice of them. Thanks Sir C, weirdly for the other bonuses I have not had this issue. So now I am suspicious of my company.

WES
06-20-2023, 11:44 AM
my calculations.

Does this sound correct?

Don't trust them, Pat. Scum, the lot of them.

When I started a new job they set up the wrong tax code and started over paying me. They then sent me a letter saying they would deduct an additional amount so that at the end of the tax year I was flat and didn't owe anything.

They then subsequently sent me a letter saying I owed them 5k and for the delay they charged me a £500 penalty. All because of their error.

Apparently it was my responsibility to ensure that they had set me up with the correct tax code.

As I said, scum.

Pat Vegas
06-20-2023, 11:57 AM
Don't trust them, Pat. Scum, the lot of them.

When I started a new job they set up the wrong tax code and started over paying me. They then sent me a letter saying they would deduct an additional amount so that at the end of the tax year I was flat and didn't owe anything.

They then subsequently sent me a letter saying I owed them 5k and for the delay they charged me a £500 penalty. All because of their error.

Apparently it was my responsibility to ensure that they had set me up with the correct tax code.

As I said, scum.

Pretty sure I am owed something from them. I had a lot of messing around with salary reductions during the pandemic.