PDA

View Full Version : Ironically, given Emi's timewasting, I remember beating Villa 3-1 at Highbury when we

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-18-2023, 07:14 PM
got an indirect FK in the box cos their 'keeper hadn't booted it within ten secs of picking up the ball. {Is that still a rule?}

From memory, someone tapped it to Sukur and he blasted it in from 10 yards with all 11 Villans on the line.

So that must have been '99-00, no? After we sold Anelka. {Remember it as a sunny autumn day, so '99. But probably wrong.}

Where's our pseudo-Kraut, alcoholic stats guru when we need him?

PSRB
02-20-2023, 09:16 AM
got an indirect FK in the box cos their 'keeper hadn't booted it within ten secs of picking up the ball. {Is that still a rule?}

From memory, someone tapped it to Sukur and he blasted it in from 10 yards with all 11 Villans on the line.

So that must have been '99-00, no? After we sold Anelka. {Remember it as a sunny autumn day, so '99. But probably wrong.}

Karma with a capital 'K'. Gets a yellow for time wasting, scores an OG, then is made to look a mug by Martinelli and then gets a *******ing from Emery for going up for the corner. :cloud9:

Pat Vegas
02-20-2023, 09:37 AM

I might be wrong didn't we get one awarded against us and the other team scored in the highbury days. maybe against leeds?

It's annoying when the keeper gets booked for that as then they have another 30 seconds after the card of messing around.

Luis Anaconda
02-20-2023, 09:42 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4yeE3v9uc

Pretty much spot on GG - that rule had just been brought in I think and refs cracked down for about three matches. Lovely to see that touch for the first goal again from DB

Luis Anaconda
02-20-2023, 09:44 AM
Karma with a capital 'K'. Gets a yellow for time wasting, scores an OG, then is made to look a mug by Martinelli and then gets a *******ing from Emery for going up for the corner. :cloud9:

Can't hate him too much - basically given us four goals this season

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
02-20-2023, 09:50 AM
I don't remember the rule being changed but haven't seen it enforced since probably that season. And David James in the clip doesn't even appear to hold it that long there. Every game now you'd see what he did at least 5 times a game.

Luis Anaconda
02-20-2023, 10:01 AM
I don't remember the rule being changed but haven't seen it enforced since probably that season. And David James in the clip doesn't even appear to hold it that long there. Every game now you'd see what he did at least 5 times a game.

Very true. I think we benefitted there from David Elleray in full schoolmaster mode. It is definitely ignored now

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
02-20-2023, 10:07 AM
Very true. I think we benefitted there from David Elleray in full schoolmaster mode. It is definitely ignored now

David Elleray the referees referee. That's what you want from your ref. Completely autistic and by the book. No grey areas at all.

WES
02-20-2023, 10:12 AM
David Elleray the referees referee. That's what you want from your ref. Completely autistic and by the book. No grey areas at all.

*message reported to Roy Keane

Luis Anaconda
02-20-2023, 10:15 AM

Or as Tony Adams would say a "****ing cheat"

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
02-20-2023, 10:22 AM
I rememeber seeing a docomentary on David Elleray's life. It showed him going over pictures of himself about 8 years old in full ref gear telling us how back then he dreamed of making it at the top level. That's a proper referees referee. At the same time thank Christ he did make it in his chosen profession or his career would have still have involved peoples names being taken and put on lists but with slightly darker overtones.

PSRB
02-20-2023, 10:25 AM
Can't hate him too much - basically given us four goals this season

For all his mouthing off about the club, he does save his worst for us :-)

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
02-20-2023, 10:29 AM
https://youtu.be/LaS-COAs-lg?t=1657

:hehe:
Those couple of minutes from 27.37 just scream wrong 'un on so many levels.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-20-2023, 01:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4yeE3v9uc

Pretty much spot on GG - that rule had just been brought in I think and refs cracked down for about three matches. Lovely to see that touch for the first goal again from DB

Cheers. Every time their keeper picked the ball up after that, the who ground was shouting "10, 9, 8 etc" at double speed. He shåt himself and got rid of the ball before we got to 2 or three every time. Great day out. I miss Highbury.