Tony C
02-20-2022, 03:38 AM
two of their cities were in ashes.

:clap:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-21-2022, 12:37 PM
two of their cities were in ashes.

:clap:

Hate to be a mil-hist pedant, TC, but the fire bombing of Tokyo would have created far more ash than either of the two nuked cities. The centres there were simply vaporized, no ash left.

Maybe try "two of their cities were glowing green."

WES
02-21-2022, 01:38 PM
Hate to be a mil-hist pedant, TC, but the fire bombing of Tokyo would have created far more ash than either of the two nuked cities. The centres there were simply vaporized, no ash left.

Maybe try "two of their cities were glowing green."

If we're going to be pedantic, GG, it was hardly just Tokyo was it?

Phosphorous bombs were dropped on mostly wooden cities all over Japan as part of Lemay's strategy. Burned to the ground, most of them. Far more civilians died because of fire bombing than did because of the two nuclear bombs. As the intelligent, sober McNamara said ' had we lost the war, we would have been tried as war criminals'.

Perspective, eh?

Luis Anaconda
02-21-2022, 02:28 PM

Phosphorous bombs were dropped on mostly wooden cities all over Japan as part of Lemay's strategy. Burned to the ground, most of them. Far more civilians died because of fire bombing than did because of the two nuclear bombs. As McNamara said ' had we lost the war, we would have been tried as war criminals'.

Perspective, eh?

I don't remember saying that

WES
02-21-2022, 02:43 PM
I don't remember saying that

edited

10 characters

Luis Anaconda
02-21-2022, 03:21 PM
edited

10 characters
good man. All ok in the village with the storms? Not too exposed down there were you?

02-22-2022, 01:03 AM

Phosphorous bombs were dropped on mostly wooden cities all over Japan as part of Lemay's strategy. Burned to the ground, most of them. Far more civilians died because of fire bombing than did because of the two nuclear bombs. As the intelligent, sober McNamara said ' had we lost the war, we would have been tried as war criminals'.

Perspective, eh?

If we're gonna be pedantic, Wes, you'll see I wrote:

"but the fire bombing of Tokyo would have created far more ash than either of the two nuked cities."

which clearly doesn't claim that Tokyo was the only city firebombed. It doesn't even imply that there was more ash in Tokyo than other fire-bombed cities, though there was, what with it being the capital, full of wooden houses and fire-bombed shedloads.

I'm not really that interested in getting into the war crimes argument. My best mate from the OU is doing an MA in WW2 - mine was WW1 - and he had an essay on the bombing of Germany that we chatted about while he was doing it. I'm a pacifist crusty, he's a retired RAF Wing-Cmdr, but he's a bit less supportive of Dresden than I am.

Wes, decent, honest Indian soldiers were fighting through Burma at the time. If nuking and firebombing those swine saved the life of one, single Gurkha, Sikh, Baluchi, Pathan, Garhwali etc then of course it was worth it.

You try to invade India without knowing the LBW law and see what you get.

It is not a war-crime to slaughter those who were delaying Indian independence. Fact. {I'll also think you'll find the average Jap is happier now they've lost and they have a liberal democracy imposed by Yank occupation and a very successful economy than they were living under a military dictatorship. So it's not a war crime to bring their happiness about as quickly as possible.}

Gurkhas worship the Goddess Kali, and if it's good enough for Her then it's good enough for me.

{Just to be absolutely clear, I'm being 100% serious here. Not just the Kali stuff I assume you think is me speaking my usual *******s. But about a swift end being better for the Indians who delayed the independence fight to volunteer - 2.5m of them - to fight fascism to keep GB and make India free. And the swift end being better for the Japs who now live in a rich, free society as opposed to a fascist dictatorship. This is my studies, not the tramp lager, talking.}

WES
02-22-2022, 09:00 AM
If we're gonna be pedantic, Wes, you'll see I wrote:

"but the fire bombing of Tokyo would have created far more ash than either of the two nuked cities."

which clearly doesn't claim that Tokyo was the only city firebombed. It doesn't even imply that there was more ash in Tokyo than other fire-bombed cities, though there was, what with it being the capital, full of wooden houses and fire-bombed shedloads.

I'm not really that interested in getting into the war crimes argument. My best mate from the OU is doing an MA in WW2 - mine was WW1 - and he had an essay on the bombing of Germany that we chatted about while he was doing it. I'm a pacifist crusty, he's a retired RAF Wing-Cmdr, but he's a bit less supportive of Dresden than I am.

Wes, decent, honest Indian soldiers were fighting through Burma at the time. If nuking and firebombing those swine saved the life of one, single Gurkha, Sikh, Baluchi, Pathan, Garhwali etc then of course it was worth it.

You try to invade India without knowing the LBW law and see what you get.

It is not a war-crime to slaughter those who were delaying Indian independence. Fact. {I'll also think you'll find the average Jap is happier now they've lost and they have a liberal democracy imposed by Yank occupation and a very successful economy than they were living under a military dictatorship. So it's not a war crime to bring their happiness about as quickly as possible.}

Gurkhas worship the Goddess Kali, and if it's good enough for Her then it's good enough for me.

{Just to be absolutely clear, I'm being 100% serious here. Not just the Kali stuff I assume you think is me speaking my usual *******s. But about a swift end being better for the Indians who delayed the independence fight to volunteer - 2.5m of them - to fight fascism to keep GB and make India free. And the swift end being better for the Japs who now live in a rich, free society as opposed to a fascist dictatorship. This is my studies, not the tramp lager, talking.}

So you're a Jap hater, eh GG? :hehe:

Afraid I can't hate people with food that good mate :shrug:

Plus, Roppongi :cloud9:

Tony C
02-22-2022, 09:31 AM
GG is just being cocky after their 16 year old made complete mince of the chess world champ yesterday.

redgunamo
02-22-2022, 01:34 PM
Is chess an Olympic sport nowadays? Good grief.

GG is just being cocky after their 16 year old made complete mince of the chess world champ yesterday.

02-22-2022, 01:55 PM
So you're a Jap hater, eh GG? :hehe:

Afraid I can't hate people with food that good mate :shrug:

Plus, Roppongi :cloud9:

Oh, I love sushi. Only foreign food I'd ever eat in France. {If you move to Ligne 1 central, you find top drawer sushi at London **** sushi takeaway prices everywhere.} But you can munch sushi without them goose-stepping into India.

And some fücking master-race. Might have been able to deal with a few white colonists, but once they threatened India, the locals all stopped arguing with the Brits, the Muzzies stopped arguing with the Hindus/Sikhs, and 2.5m volunteered to give them the biggest kicking in their entire history at Imphal.

Saved GB democracy. Won Ind democracy. Forced the Nips to learn democracy at the point of a bayonet.